-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Smith has a diamond sharpener approx 2" wide and 6" long that reverses back into the handle. Have two, one bought at WallyW other at Sports Whorehouse. All ya need, around $20.

Smith Sharpener

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Medium 6" DMT and leather strop.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to see some crazy sharp stuff, go to bladefourm or other knife sites. But IMHO crazy is right, they take sharp to unreal levels just because they can. Those edges wouldnt hold up in many uses. If you roll the edge you dont have chit.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The only reason DMT is better than a Norton is because the DMT stays flat and lasts longer.

Unless you need to sharpen really large blades, and not necessarily then, you don't have to get the expensive DMT stones.The 6" stones will do fine.

Why don't you try a 6" red DMT? Then if you want the other stuff later you can buy it. That 6" DMT can go anywhere with you a lot better than a sharpening kit and it's only about $30. It's all you will need to keep a knife sharp. It will actually be better after it has worn a little finer, so you can add a ceramic rod for now if you want. Use the ceramic after the DMT and before the strop untill the DMT wears a little finer.

My only point in all this is that most of us would be better served to spend that $300 on a good quality knife that already has a properly ground edge and just keep it sharp with a simple stone and strop. My Dozier only requires a couple swipes on the worn DMT to restore an edge. If I want to go from shaving sharp to scary sharp I strop a couple dozen wipes on compound loaded leather.

Spotshooter
I like Edge Pro. I do agree with you concerning ultimate sharpness. I just don't think surgery sharp scalpels are necessary or even desirable in a hunting knife.They are fun to play with and show off, so have fun my friend.

Your information is priceless ... thank you very much for sharing. This is most definitely the direction I will go and looking forward to putting the money I save into another great custom knife. grin

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
No problem my friend. Sharpening is just like everything else. A lot of people enjoy different things and there are different levels of practicality, experience and enjoyment.Some just want a quick and easy method to make a knife shaving sharp, and some like the experience and challenge of creating the ultimate edge that scares the hairs into jumping off on their own. You just have to take everyone's recommendations and experience and then choose what will work best for you.

I handed one of those scary sharp blades to a guy once that immediately started shaving the thick hair from his arm. He seemed to be amazed at how well it saved. Before I could warn him, he made a 10" swipe and a ribbon of skin fell to the floor. In a few seconds blood started welling up because he had sliced the epidermis layer off his arm. It took a couple hand towels and quite a while to stop the bleeding. The knife was so sharp that he sliced a ribbon of skin about a half inch wide and ten inches long completely off his arm. Ever since that, I have been very cautious about who I let handle very sharp knives.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rick
You will be getting a knife shortly. It will be big and it will be sharpened on an Edge Pro.
I will probably stop at 600 grit at 24 degrees and then leather strop.
See what you think of the edge when you get it.
It will take several touch ups with just the strop.
I prefer to stop at 600 grit on field use knives as I prefer a little "tooth" on the edge.
I have no negative issues with the size and workings of the Edge Pro stones. I run them damp with soapy water and rinse them clean often. I also buy a supply of stones ahead.
Abrasive belts or stones will not do a good job unless reasonably fresh and clean.
I do my customs on the Edge Pro. I do my kitchen and filet knives on a Work Sharp. I used large bench stone for near 60 years and can do a good job there, but can not match a fixture sharpening with them.
jmho

Give me a call if you want to talk directly on this.
Thanks
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds good Tim! I'd think you're spot on with the edge you intend to put on that Big Camp Knife, as this isn't your 1st rodeo. Another member here so kindly offered up to me some leather for stropping along with some green compound. I should be set now for doing those touch ups you are speaking of. I'm glad to hear you use the Edge Pro on your customs, as that was my full intentions too. Sounds like you're happy with the stones that come with it. I've been researching and reading up over on bladesforum and seen where a lot of folks on there complain about the quality of the original stones. I guess if I were to do it I could get the standard kit and always upgrade to the Shapton stones if I later decided I needed to. What kinda steel will that Camp Knife have? Im sure you've already told me, but I can't remember. Just curious.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rick
52100, stock removal, 59/60Rc.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EricM
I like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's a great system that keeps a very sharp edge without ruining your blades.

Eric

Same here. I should add that the diamond sticks are worth the price especially when you are reshaping the edges.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.