Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
had my gunsmith lighten the trigger. gonna take it out today and shoot it. seems everyone is replacing this trigger. is it a pos or still unsafe even after being fixed in the recall?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Its a POS...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Its a POS...

Its a POS x2.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The ones with the external adjustment screw (God knows what that does) are a complete POS. I have an early one that is a very good trigger, after some polishing and adjusting.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The ones with the external adjustment screw (God knows what that does) are a complete POS. I have an early one that is a very good trigger, after some polishing and adjusting.

I concur with this. The original X-Mark is a decent trigger that can be made great with some work. The X-Mark Pro (external adjustment) is not nearly as desirable, nor as tuneable.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
mines the dreaded xmark pro. ill c how i like it today. will probably order a timney 510 anyway tho

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boggles the mind doesn't it? I am not a huge Savage accutrigger fan but they work and owners seem to love them for the most part. Ruger has addressed trigger complaints with improvements. Tikka gets the most vocal praise in every venue for their triggers. I am crazy over my CZ trigger. With so much competition I am floored Remington can't produce THE perfect trigger. They have more money than anyone to get it right. I love my 700 but dang I can see why people cuss the company at times.

Can anyone tell me about the Winchester MOA trigger?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive got a new FN Winchester with an MOA trigger, and its OK. The only real complaint Ive had or heard is that in order to adjust it you have to remove some nuclear level hardened goo they've put on the adjusting screw.
Otherwise OK

I had my first Rem Xmark trigger ( without the screw through the trigger) go from 4 to 16 pounds overnight, had two with the screw break at the screw...one before the rifle was ever fired....

They have all been summarily removed and replaced with old style rem. triggers, which always work fine as long as you clean them every 25 years or so...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Boggles the mind doesn't it? I am not a huge Savage accutrigger fan but they work and owners seem to love them for the most part. Ruger has addressed trigger complaints with improvements. Tikka gets the most vocal praise in every venue for their triggers. I am crazy over my CZ trigger. With so much competition I am floored Remington can't produce THE perfect trigger. They have more money than anyone to get it right. I love my 700 but dang I can see why people cuss the company at times.

Can anyone tell me about the Winchester MOA trigger?

They can design the perfect trigger the bean counters and lawyers keep preventing it. My favorite is the original flat-safety trigger. Soooo simple to make a crisp, creep free 2# trigger. There was nothing wrong with the pre X-Mark triggers except for jokers who had no idea and no business playing with adjustments.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I replaced mine and very happy i did.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I replaced one of the original X-Mark (without the hole in the triggers face) with a Timney because I didn't want to send the gun in. The pull was pretty good on the X-mark, great on the Timney. I would have left the X-Mark in if it had not been subject to a recall.

I also had to replace an old style Walker trigger that would do the 'Remington moment' thing, despite being clean and free of gunk. It looks like a prior owner 'tuned' the trigger and probably lightened the pull weight a bit too much. Rather than fix it, it gave me more peace of mind to replace it. It never went bang, but it did go click several times while doing safety checks. Even a click when you remove the safety can tighten the sphincter up a bit.

The Timney was better than the 'tuned' Walker, but the tuned walker was pretty good (better than the X-Mark). It is my understanding that the design of the Timney physically prevents the 'Remington moment' thing from happening. I am glad I replaced both of them.

Last edited by K1500; 10/26/14.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
are the timneys easy to install? i looked at a couple videos on youtube and seems fairly easy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Super easy. Take the rifle out of the stock, two pins out, two pins in and basically done. You have to adjust the bolt release tab with some needle nose pliers, but that is easy too. Both triggers came out to be the same feel and weight with no adjustment needed. I believe some stocks may need a bit of fitting for the wider trigger blade, but neither of mine did.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a first year XMark in my LTR .308. It's been crisp and light from the start so been loathe to change it. The dang thing has rarely shot over .5 w any load.

Hate to mess with success, but it's prolly gonna be my primary rifle for a CO elk hunt next fall w my brother. Part of its overhaul will likely be a flat Timney.

Just because of [bleep] doubts about safety...

Haha! The sites filter just edited a common word into a bleep because it apparently feared it was a racial epithet. TFF!

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 10/26/14.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Just because of [bleep]-ing doubts about safety...

There is nothing unsafe about it. Also, muzzle control is the ONLY TRUE safety.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by killindeer
had my gunsmith lighten the trigger. gonna take it out today and shoot it. seems everyone is replacing this trigger. is it a pos or still unsafe even after being fixed in the recall?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
x-mark on my 700 HB Police model 308 1 hole groups with the right load. Haven't go a clue why I'd mess with it. Magnum Man

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have one of the XMark Pro that came on a Remington Long Range rifle.
Just scraped glue on trigger weight screw and lightened it,also backed out the screw in trigger some but still kept tension on it.
Sear engagement screw aint gonna turn come hell or highwater,really glued in.
1.75 pound nice crisp trigger pull was the result.
put fingernail polish on trigger pull weight adjustment screw .
Over 100 pulls of the trigger and it hasn,t changed yet,Maybe I just got lucky with getting a trigger that the sear angles are right?
I had planned on getting a Timney or changing out triggers on another older Rem 700 7mag with a Walker trigger but cant see the point with this one working so well.
Based on this experience of one I would say to give it a try before getting rid of it from the get go.

Last edited by bcraig; 10/26/14.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ingwe

They have all been summarily removed and replaced with old style rem. triggers, which always work fine as long as you clean them every 25 years or so...

Ain't that the truth.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by K1500

I also had to replace an old style Walker trigger that would do the 'Remington moment' thing, despite being clean and free of gunk. It looks like a prior owner 'tuned' the trigger and probably lightened the pull weight a bit too much. Rather than fix it, it gave me more peace of mind to replace it. It never went bang, but it did go click several times while doing safety checks. Even a click when you remove the safety can tighten the sphincter up a bit.

"Fix it"?.........Just adjust it........it's kinda' like the pressure in your tires--A guy doesn't go buy new tires if the pressure in one drops a few pounds...

I guess the best thing about the CNBC hatchet job on Remington is that it has kept a few dummies from messing with the M700 triggers.

A few years ago I bought a M700 barreled action and the sear engagement was about a third of what it should be, and the trigger pull was lightened too. It took maybe 1 1/2 lbs trigger pressure to drop the firing pin. As soon as I bought it I brought to my 'smith for a new barrel and told him to try the trigger--he about had a heart attack.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.