Print Thread
Hop To
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a nice custom 9.3x62 built on a Pre 64 M70 action and a 24" #3 Pacnor barrel. Very accurate with 250 AB's and 286 gr PT. I've been shooting one of Veral Smith's LBT cast boolits using one of Veral's molds he made for me. Due to the short throat, Veral's mold is throws 174 gr boolits. After talking to Veral at length, he suggested I ream the throat longer to get up to the 250 gr weight I want. He's going to make the mold. I just need to ream the throat. I've now got a PTG 9.3mm Throating Reamer. A little apprehensive.

Any sage words of advice?

Alan

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alan, I love that rifle. Don't mess it up!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, but I want to shoot it more, without wearing out the barrel. I'll just have to adjust the 250 AB load a skootch!

Alan

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alan, keep an eye on SPS. They have some awesome deals on the 9.3 286gr. partition. I wonder how many of those you'd have to shoot to wear out the barrel? I have shot several 10 shot groups with mine and those cheap azzed partitions grin...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
This is how long my throat is. I took a 286 PT and numerous times seated it backwards using gentle bolt closing pressure.

.066" long. Or, I should say 2.487" from base of case.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GSSP; 10/26/14.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking a .25 throat would do it. Be anxious to hear any other feedback on do it yourself throat lengthening.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Is there a problem with cutting the mold so the nose is a bore-rider diameter? That way you would have part of the bullet in the case at groove diameter and everything past that short freebore at or just under the bore diameter while keeping the length of the bullet whatever you need to make weight. Your jacketed bullet loads would not have to be modified.

I'd be very hesitant to change the rifle when it is so easy to change the cast bullet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSSP
This is how long my throat is. I took a 286 PT and numerous times seated it backwards using gentle bolt closing pressure.

.066" long. Or, I should say 2.487" from base of case.

[Linked Image]

That just doesn't seem right Alan. I did the same thing with my CZ 550 American and the bullet stuck out about .250". That rifle is a tack driver too. I don't know how long the throat is supposed to be, but yours looks way too short???????

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just got very slow while cutting the throat. I saw one impatient gentleman that bought a 338 throater so he could use longer high BC bullets. He didn�t want to wait for the smith to do it. After his �throating� he coudln�t get any accuracy so brought the rifle back in. When I checked it he had close to 9� of freebore. I guess he just kept turning the reamer until the handle hit the back of the action.

He ruined a very nice custom barrel. I recomend you take it easy. You can buy a lot of jacked bullets for the cost of a good custom barrel and install.

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Well�.I did ask for sage advice!

Alan

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
Just got very slow while cutting the throat. I saw one impatient gentleman that bought a 338 throater so he could use longer high BC bullets. He didn�t want to wait for the smith to do it. After his �throating� he coudln�t get any accuracy so brought the rifle back in. When I checked it he had close to 9� of freebore. I guess he just kept turning the reamer until the handle hit the back of the action.

He ruined a very nice custom barrel. I recomend you take it easy. You can buy a lot of jacked bullets for the cost of a good custom barrel and install.

He called that rifle Linda Lovelace. I thought weatherby's had a long freebore, but that one takes the cake!!

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 30338
Thinking a .25 throat would do it. Be anxious to hear any other feedback on do it yourself throat lengthening.

I'd take the rifle and the reamer to a good gunsmith & have him do it. Lengthening a throat is a simple job for a gunsmith but I wouldn't do it myself, too easy to screw it up when a gunsmith would do it cheap.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good advice crow hunter..

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Change the bullet, not the rifle. Have you asked Veral for his opinion?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It is pretty easy to do. That is a good tool that you bought. Just sneak up on it. I agree that the throat you are indicating with that photo does not seem right. Maybe a chamber cast is in order first. Cerosafe is cheap.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Oregon45,

Veral is THE one who suggested I lengthen the throat. He made up the first mold for the rifle, which was only a 174 gr due to the short throat and he made that off a throat slug I sent him.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 11/01/14.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Interesting. In that case, I'd have a gunsmith with a steady hand (or a steady lathe) do the work for you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
453 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 320090T, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.