Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
How "divine" is the Bible if it gets the details of the religions central event wrong?

If it's wrong about that, what else is it wrong about?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And if the authenticity of the Shroud being impossible to determine? Or are the certain cult of Italians claiming it to be authentic?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Christianity is based on an inerrant Bible. The shroud contradicts the descriptions in the Bible. If the shroud is real, then the Bible is in error. If its in error there, who knows where else it errors.

There is no mention of a shroud used in Jesus' burial. As said before, his body was wrapped in linen clothes and a napkin of some sort covered his head.

I'm not sure this is accurate but I've read it about Jewish customs of the time. Note that the Bible clearly states that the napkin on his head was carefully folded and left separate from the other burial clothes. The custom at banquets at the time relates to that. If a person left the table intending to return, he folded his napkin and left it by his plate. The servants would leave his place alone until he came back. When he was done eating and ready for them to clear his place, he would wad up his napkin and throw it on the table.
Jesus folded his napkin...he's coming back.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I guess the divinity of the book would be important if you worshipped the book.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GeoW
Reading your answers from the Bible is it fair to say nobody knows?

What this demonstrates is the Gospels are really four separate stories, for different interpretations of the same alleged event. These four tellings conflict with each other, and conflict with what's contained on the Shroud of Turin. If the Shroud was "proven authentic", it would nail down actual details demonstrating these conflicts. Of course there is no scientific test for "Jesus Christ" beyond a demonstration of the super natural, so this will remain a contest between Faith and Reason.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that the Bible is the Word of God written by men inspired by Almighty God.

The Shroud... not so much.. Maybe, maybe not. It is good for an Italian Chamber of Commerce.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Christianity is based on an inerrant Bible.

Maybe it is to you. There's no certainty that the Bible is 'inerrant'.

Others feel it is based on a one-on-one relationship with a loving God who sent His son to reveal just how good He is.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers

Maybe it is to you.

Others feel it is based on a one-on-one relationship with a loving God who sent His son to reveal just how good He is.

And what is the Primary Source document regarding this God and his Son?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Maybe it is to you.

'Primary Source document'...? It's simply the Bible, along with the heart and mind. But there's no certainty that the Bible is 'inerrant'.
Biblical 'inerrancy' isn�t Biblical.
A relationship with our Creator through His son 'is' Biblical.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
antlers,

Where do we find information about A Creator Who has a Son with Whom we can have a relationship?

You loose the logic argument.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

Logic...! What would you know about 'that' Ringman...?

Is your 6,000 year old earth 'logical'...?

Is your 'dinosaurs went on the ark with Noah and the other animals' logical...?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe it is to you. There's no certainty that the Bible is 'inerrant'.

I'm glad you posted that........ saved me the trouble.

You will get hammered by the Blblialetors 0n here. [that is a real word, but I might have it misspelled]

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Maybe it is to you.

'Primary Source document'...? It's simply the Bible, along with the heart and mind. But there's no certainty that the Bible is 'inerrant'.
Biblical 'inerrancy' isn�t Biblical.
A relationship with our Creator through His son 'is' Biblical.

You admit your source document has errors. The next question is how many, how big, and where are they? As we discussed before, before the advent of the printing press, all we had were copies of copies of copies, each one slightly different from the one before. Since our copies today are full of errors, and we do not have a single original NT text, not one scroll written by the hand of Jesus, a disciple, or even one written by the hand of Paul....So how can you really know your God?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The same way Peter did.

Matthew 16:13-17

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by dassa
The same way Peter did.

Matthew 16:13-17

If you read carefully these passages are not about how individuals can know God, but establishing the providence of the Catholic Church, all the Popes who follow Peter, and Rome as the center of the Orthodoxy. The lead in actually speaks to the confusion to whom Jesus may, or may not have been, in the minds of the people at that time.

Not exactly a ringing enforcement of how a Protestant can "know Jesus".

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
antlers,

Where do we find information about A Creator Who has a Son with Whom we can have a relationship?

Where can anyone have a logical argument about matters of faith?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you read carefully these passages are not about how individuals can know God, but establishing the providence of the Catholic Church, all the Popes who follow Peter, and Rome as the center of the Orthodoxy. The lead in actually speaks to the confusion to whom Jesus may, or may not have been, in the minds of the people at that time.

Not exactly a ringing enforcement of how a Protestant can "know Jesus".

I guess that's where me and the Catholics part ways. I see no slot in the chain of command for a pope to fit into...
I have no problem with or argument for those that do however..

Peace!

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The physical laws which govern the universe can be observed and tested. They operate whether a man accepts them, or not.

The Spiritual Laws are just as operative whether a man accepts them, or not.

The human ego embraces the physical laws and rejects the spiritual laws.

Been that way a long time.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You admit your source document has errors. The next question is how many, how big, and where are they? So how can you really know your God?

I said that there was no certainty of an 'inerrant' Bible. That's different from 'admitting that the source document has errors'. It might, or it might not. Some think that if you allow for any errors in the Bible, then how can you trust any of it? The answer to that question is quite simple.

Faith.

The same faith that allows us to believe in a God that none of us have seen. Faith requires an element of doubt. We 'choose' to believe...even though the evidence might be incomplete or imperfect.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone actually base his faith on the Shroud of Turin? I think not. Does anyone try to discredit Christianity with it? Apparently so. But it's a curiosity. That's all it is.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (14idaho, 280shooter, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.