Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know it's a way off, but a fairly good sized group of guys (maybe around 6 of us) are interested in a late Sept/early Oct 2015 antelope hunt in WY. We keep going back in forth between DIY on public land vs. guided--either something like 2x1 (4x1?) or drop camp (although people want to sleep in a motel double, not the ground grin) . One idea I had was to go DIY but on private land. Have a brother-in-law who did it a few years back for a per-rifle (hunter) fee, and he had a great experience.

We are a group of older non-crazies. Conscientious types (hopefully), licensed/tagged, no BS.

My ideal would be a PM or two of landowners (you or known to you) who I could contact. We're coming in from all over, so thinking about flying into Denver and driving up. The last time I hunted WY speed goats was out of Casper. Great town, good steaks, etc. All other ideas welcome, too. Thanks.

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would maybe try and decide on a couple units to hunt, and then contact the local WDFW office and ask about the landowner/rancher list - they will usually have one. Then ask to speak with the bio for that area, they can usually be really helpful in which ranchers might fit your needs. That's kinda how I started and found a nice place to hunt and have had pretty good success the last 6-7 years and met a bunch or great folks.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good stuff, Oregon. TY

Murphy was a grunt.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I decided on a hunt with a couple guys and picked the units that made sense to use; those with mostly private land that had left over tags. Spent time calling land owners - talked to several but never got any commitment to let us hunt for a fee.

May be different I guess if I had knocked on doors in person. What I found was that all the ranchers I talked to had leased exclusive hunting access on their land to an outfitter.

Eventually I got a bit tired of it and found a good outfitter. Prices for WY antelope seemed to be quite reasonable compared to other big game hunts - including lodging. Figured we would try to do a DIY another time, once we've been out with an outfitter and get to know the area a bit.

We are hunting in 102 this year.

Good luck with what you decide.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by fremont
Good stuff, Oregon. TY

Contact EH76 on here he'll help you out Keith is good people

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I'd pronghorn is WY is near the last of hunts I'd pay for access for. With a year to plan it wouldn't be that hard to find a place to hunt without paying for access.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by pointer
FWIW, I'd pronghorn is WY is near the last of hunts I'd pay for access for. With a year to plan it wouldn't be that hard to find a place to hunt without paying for access.
Finding a place to hunt for free is not difficult. Finding a place to hunt that is not overrun with people is another story. It does not take many hunters in a given area to stir up the antelope and the areas around here have been selling huge numbers of tags...... I live here and watch antelope all year, and am still carrying my tag with two days to use it........ A good quality hunt for antelope is not getting any easier or cheaper....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Finding a place to hunt for free is not difficult. Finding a place to hunt that is not overrun with people is another story. It does not take many hunters in a given area to stir up the antelope and the areas around here have been selling huge numbers of tags...... I live here and watch antelope all year, and am still carrying my tag with two days to use it........ A good quality hunt for antelope is not getting any easier or cheaper....
While not completely disagreeing with you, but I have been happy with all my pronghorn hunts in WY. I've hunted private (just for the asking), BLM, and most often private that's enrolled in an HMA. The first weekends on BLM and HMAs can be a bit busy, but after that it quiets down a ton IME. Sure, they may be a bit more skittish, but I've never not filled a tag due to lack of opportunities. Sure, I've never killed any truly big bucks but I've been happy with the one's I've killed.

Just thought I'd give the OP another perspective. With a year to plan, it would be highly possible to narrow down a unit with likely draw odds and free access. Besided federal land, I'd also suggest the OP look at the PLPW section of the WY F&G website.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
With a year to plan, it would be highly possible to narrow down a unit with likely draw odds and free access. Besided federal land, I'd also suggest the OP look at the PLPW section of the WY F&G website.

+1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you purchase a preference point? Many units to hunt with just 1 point

IC B3

fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 805
Did you purchase a preference point? Many units to hunt with just 1 point
I did not.

Guys, the info is greatly appreciated. I've been talking with my friends around the difference between paying for a guided hunt (maybe w/ meals & lodging) vs. motels, rental cars, etc. The savings might not justify the hassle, as we're flying into Denver.

Can't wait for next year. Quite a few guys with some pressing personal problems--this will be a Godsend for them. Again, thanks.

Murphy was a grunt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,068
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.