Print Thread
Hop To
#9283595 10/25/14
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Just took my Encore for a trip to the range after picking up a can of Blackhorn 209..Was still in shockover the 37.00 bucks for a pinck of the magic powder ive heard so much about.I shot my 26in 50 1st shoot 8in low at 100..so was the 2nd and 3rd..But for all 3 holes touching I can live with the price...Great Stuff made me a fan...

Last edited by HeavyMetal; 10/25/14.

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I get about 70 shots per can, so it is as economical as pellets with better accuracy, more velocity, and far easier cleanup.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I love the stuff. I shoot 73.5grs by weight with a .458" Barnes Original PSP in a black Harvester Crush Rib sabot. No groups over 1" yesterday during sight in.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blackhorn 209 is my go to powder in my Encore 50

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I suppose I should try the stuff..

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NDOW is a bit reactionary. It's illegal for "primitive weapon" hunts in NV.

There's an anal-retentive department head that has a hard on regarding muzzle loader firearms. We can't use scopes, either, and that cuts out us older guys quite a bit.

I might order some and use it anyway. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
$37 bucks a can, good hell that stuff's come up in price!!! I'll still by it but dang that's getting up there for no reason.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hydrashocker
$37 bucks a can, good hell that stuff's come up in price!!! I'll still by it but dang that's getting up there for no reason.

sounds kind of real high

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
Just took my Encore for a trip to the range after picking up a can of Blackhorn 209..Was still in shockover the 37.00 bucks for a pinck of the magic powder ive heard so much about.I shot my 26in 50 1st shoot 8in low at 100..so was the 2nd and 3rd..But for all 3 holes touching I can live with the price...Great Stuff made me a fan...

Three shots and the POI really didn;t move?

That seems odd for this powder. Were you swabbing after every shot? Was the bore totally dry.... like alcohol-dry? Or was there lubrication still in the barrel?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
thats not uncommon for the group the impact lower. Its a faster shooting powder and will shoot different. Just like swabbing bullet weights or powder charges.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not according to the ML boards I've been reading. Most times the first shot is the most off - then 2nd shot starts turning in - 3rd shot gets you pretty close.

I'm talking sabots, inlines and shooters that sight-in their scope for the first shot, and/or starting threads asking questions on how to correct the 1st shot malady.

That is why I wanted to know the thread-starter's ritual. He may be doing / using something that can be passed-on to other ML shooters. Plus, it's an education for myself. One of these days I'm going to spend $42 on a jug of BH 209.

Estimated first use?....... October 2016. I have lots of black (Schuetzen / Goex) to burn first.

Last edited by Triple_Se7en; 01/09/15.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That all depends on the cleaner in the bore as well. I use the 2 in 1 bore scrubber and first shot is always super close to shots 2 and 3, if not directly in with them.

Conicals or sabots, they hit where they should hit. Oil ruins first shot accuracy.

Posters first second and third shot were all low, which is simply just having to retune the scope and dial it in for BH209. Simple.

I have to retune my hawken when i use different powders and especially patch lubes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's not that simple and what you suggest has been tried. Works for some - not for others. There are even instances where a couple synthetic oils have worked.

There just isn't a proven way / ingredient, that works for most-all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=luv2safari]NDOW is a bit reactionary. It's illegal for "primitive weapon" hunts in NV.

There's an anal-retentive department head that has a hard on regarding muzzle loader firearms. We can't use scopes, either, and that cuts out us older guys quite a bit.

Same way in Oregon and I believe also in Washington.
Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal

What weight charge were you shooting....just curious?

Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
why do you need to put any oil in a ml barrel? i never have and never will.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I suppose I should try the stuff..

Yeah, I am starting to think that as well.

I can really get by with 60-70 grain loads for most of my hunting. I havent used pellets in forever.

Something else to try.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bigblock455
.... Oil ruins first shot accuracy.

I used to foul with a cap, but now I just alcohol swab and dry swab out the oil before loading. I do this at the range as well, so my first shot is always where its supposed to be.

Follow-up shots are within an inch. Though aside from taking doubles, I cant remember the last time i required a followup shot with my ML. Ok one, but that was a while ago and it wasnt going anywhere fast regardless.

I keep all my ML oiled, as I have had some crap experiences with corrosion getting underneath the black ice teflon coating near the muzzle and the action near the nipple.

Pretty disappointing. (Yes, cleaned properly.) So yes, I oil.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,085
Posts18,463,914
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.