Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by tomk
What happened at 7 digits?

Quality control went to hell.

Scope mounting holes in the receiver cockeyed for example.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Here's mine recently back from a redo by Jon Beanland. I've been away at work for 3 weeks so haven't got the scope on it or weighed yet. Something to do this week!

M70 classic stainless, Bartlein 5R #2B 1-9 twist at 24". McMillan hunters edge stock, PT&G aluminum bottom metal cerakoted satin mag. 375 H&H magazine, follower & bolt stop to allow longer COAL.

[Linked Image]

Sweet! Poifect!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had either 3 or 4 7mags can't exactly remember. The one I still own is M70 Custom Super Grade. With this one I had to go about 4.5 grains over a book max. load in order to reach 2900 fps with a 175 gr. bullet. I find its recoil to be more bothersome than a .338 win. mag I own altho admittedly the latter has a muzzle brake.

Today I use a 30-06 in place of the 7 mag even though the 7 is a far prettier gun.

Jim

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jim l have worked with quite a few Winchester barrels over the years in 7mm and 300 win mag and have noticed a tendency for them to take somewhat heavier charges to get to velocity as you noticed with your 175-7mm combo.

This is not unique to the 7 Rem Mag.

It may be due to throat length and rifling and might be a built in goof factor to be certain the rifle per ft orms and functions with the impossibly wide range of factory ammo available for popular cartridges. They never know what ammo will br used.

These factors have an effect on the velocities we see and why your rifle might accept heavier ch as rges than those in the manuals for the same veloc ities.

Lik l saud l have akso seen this with the 300 win mag.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by m77
Originally Posted by Reloder28
7 Remington Magnum's are too inconsistent.

Reloder28, not sure I understand what you meant by they are inconsistent? Could you maybe expand on this?

Thanks

Pieter

Don't want to be critical. I have owned several 7 RM's over the years, worked up loads for friends 7 RM's & talked to several people who have also found the same issues with them. They show a tendency to exhibit sporadic pressure variances. That equals inconsistency to me. For years they may shoot fine & then one day they don't. The last one I had I could not even get past the load work-up stage before it started.

David Tubbs, has also spoken about this cartridge citing the same observation.

Meanwhile, here is an excerpt from a 2003 24CF thread from Mule Deer:
Perhaps a more accurate term would be "wide pressure swings" rather than spikes. It seemingly occurs with about every hunting weight bullet in the 7mm Remington Magnum.

In general, the labs expect maximum pressure swings of 2000-5000 psi with most cartridges, but of course look for the lower as a sign of a consistent load. It's pretty easy to find this sort of spread in most cartridges.

But the 7mm Remington Magnum will swing 8000 or even 10000, and often after several identical rounds have stayed within 4000 psi of each other. And oddly enough, the 7mm STW, which has the identical shoulder angle and short neck, doesn't show the same swings! This indicates that the shoulder angle/short neck theory probably isn't correct.

The problems with the .243 don't show up as much until the throat becomes a little worn--and again, only with bullets in the 100-grain weighr range. Once again, they don't know why.

Despite all this, the 7mm Remington Magnum and .243 Winchester have reputations as accurate cartridges, at least among hunters. I have used both a lot with excellent results. But nobody picks them as target rounds, and the erratic pressure swings are one reason. Oddly enough, if you neck either case up a little, to .30 from 7mm in the case of the magnum, and from 6mm to 6.5mm in the case of the .243, the problem goes away. Why? Nobody knows.

This is exactly the reason I went with the 280 AI and will be getting a 260 in the future and not a 243. Noticeably less throat erosion is also an added bonus. grin

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Here's mine recently back from a redo by Jon Beanland. I've been away at work for 3 weeks so haven't got the scope on it or weighed yet. Something to do this week!

M70 classic stainless, Bartlein 5R #2B 1-9 twist at 24". McMillan hunters edge stock, PT&G aluminum bottom metal cerakoted satin mag. 375 H&H magazine, follower & bolt stop to allow longer COAL.

[Linked Image]

Sweet, I like that. Let us know how it shoots..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Shodd
I used to shoot my rifles first and then bed. Every single rifle still got bedded and all shot better.

Now I bed first.

Shod

Same here. My Ruger 77's groups shrank by 1/2 consistently and the Winchester model 70's by almost that much. I consider proper glass bedding the foundation of a rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've become fond of this Hill Country Rifle 7RM. A real shooter. [img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It just ain't hard to get a 7mm Rem Mag to perc if we can walk and chew gum at the same time... (grin).

Anything in the way of criticism that can be said about it....(doesn't give the velocitywith manual loads, loads vary too much, too much pressure, too little prrssure, varies rifle to rifle, blah blah blah) can and does happen with and among others... the 270, 280, 7/08, 257, 30/06, 300 wsm, 7mm wsm,300 win mag 338 win mag etcetc...l have loaded for them all and more and seen exactly the same things in ALL of them

If you jump from magic cartridge to magic cartridge looking for a "cure" to all this, you're dreaming.

If it were inconsistent yhe long range boys vould not load it w iyh heavy VLDs and kill elk and stuff at 800-1000 yards. Too much silly talk about the cartridge....phooey.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/31/14.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Lionclaw

I am essentially looking for something that gives me reach out to about 450 yards with authority with good accuracy and does not have a nasty kick.

For this you don't need a clumsy 26" barrel.

First thing that comes to mind is a Rem 700 stainless SPS, they are not very heavy. Next thing you will need is a Timney trigger for it. A Zeiss Conquest or Leupold VX3 scope and some good quality two piece scope mounts, a sling and case and you should still be within your budget.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=BobinNH]It just ain't hard to get a 7mm Rem Mag to perc if we can walk and chew gum at the same time... (grin).

You had me till you brought up the gum chewing part! laugh

Shod grin

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would do what JPro said.. The Remington's long action lets you seat the bullet out where it belongs..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I would do what JPro said.. The Remington's long action lets you seat the bullet out where it belongs..

Absolutely...one of the things l BBC like about the Rem 700. Of course we can do the same with any post 64 M 70 if ee buy a few parts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First was an old ADL w blackened SS bbl - shot sub MOA all day.
Second was a BDL SS - 1/2" w 150 NBTs

My next, if I wanted another, would be a T3.

Rather a 6.5x55 or 270. 450 yds would not scare me, prefer a 22 vs 24/26 all day.
23 on a custom preferred for long action or if a magnum.

Met a hard core shooter from San Antonio, prefers the RM vs short 7 Mags, used out to 1K. Seems he had CONSISTENCY.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
I've been eyeing the Roughneckt Sako. .

+1 Sako A7 Roughtech, It is on my short list!

Last edited by old_willys; 11/04/14.

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
CONSISTENCY?

I have had a couple over the years and they have been shooters!

Killed a bunch of deer, elk and pigs with mine.

Ted
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Lionclaw
I am looking for a 7mm Rem Magnum for longer shots primarily for elk hunting. Looking for a good quality rifle with about 26 inch barrel that has the attributes of long range rifle should have. The only one I have seen so far are the Browning X bolt and A bolt. Before I buy one of those I thought I would ask how good they are and if there are other better choices that you all would recommend. My Budget is about 1200. However for a really good buy and quality I can be a little more flexible.

Many Thanks

Your 30-06 with a 26" barrel would be ideal. I have a 30-06 with a 26 e/4" barrel include the brake that gets 2875 FPS with factory 180 grain bullets and 3020 FPS wtih 168.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was 10 years old on the playground in 1961, another little boy told me about a wounded bull elk that gored a hunter in the calf of his leg.
Other than that, elk are not dangerous game.
Among ~100 bolt actions analyzed by De Haas, the Rem 700 is the cheapest design to manufacture, while the 98 Mauser is the most expensive. The other bolt action designs are somewhere on the spectrum in between. The Howa is right in the middle.

I am convinced that an elk hunter optimizing for cost is better off with the cheapest, least reliable piece of junk with a quality barrel. [The Rem700]

I quickly and recklessly cut threads and chamber and put an Ebay $35 Rem700 7mmRM take off barrel on a beat up old 1908 Oberndorf Mauser action and beat up old military stock. I welded the bolt and drilled and tapped. It shoots better than I can.

With all the money Rem saves by selling a tube as a receiver, they can put a quality barrel on a Rem700. That is all you need for elk hunting.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.