Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was preparing some last-minute loads for deer season and ran into trouble-- thought you guys would have a suggestion or two.

I was loading H4831sc into 25-06 using a RCBS Uniflow powder measure. I was loading into the pan of my RCBS 5-0-5 and measuring each load, and topping off with a trickler as needed. The variation, round to round, coming out of the measure was downright dangerous. I'm talking 20 grains +/-! I figure the problem was the H4831sc was sticking in the measure. It made for a very long session.

Is there a simple way to fix it? I did a batch of 30-06 with H4895 right after, and had zero problems.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Throw with a rhythm; As you bottom out the handle, give it two taps (just don't crank the handle back for another charge)!

A charge that is cutting excessively and every time is going to have a large weight variance. Try to find a charging rhythm (usually a brisk handle operation) that reduces the cutting.

Doing things slow and deliberate usually makes for a lot of work.

H4831SC is a ton better for metering than the old H4831, but I've never even seen a 2 grain variance with that stuff and the OLD H4831!

Check how the measure is mounted too. It needs to have full travel with the handle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HawkI
Throw with a rhythm; As you bottom out the handle, give it two taps (just don't crank the handle back for another charge)!

A charge that is cutting excessively and every time is going to have a large weight variance. Try to find a charging rhythm (usually a brisk handle operation) that reduces the cutting.

Doing things slow and deliberate usually makes for a lot of work.

H4831SC is a ton better for metering than the old H4831, but I've never even seen a 2 grain variance with that stuff and the OLD H4831!

Check how the measure is mounted too. It needs to have full travel with the handle.

Excellent description on how you use the uni-flo measure. I do the same thing with mine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Shaman, I've had the same thing happen before.

Remove the powder reservoir and clean the inside of the powder measuring chamber with a clean, dry cloth. Made sure there is absolutely no oil inside the measuring chamber because that will cause powder to stick. Remove the drop tube and clean it, and as much of the inside of the drop chamber that you can. Wipe everything down with a anti-static dryer sheet, then reassemble.

This will typically help.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have never had this kind of variance. I use Harrell's measures exclusively.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To have that kind of variance, you must have bridging. The powder is probably hanging up in the drop tube. Do you have the proper parts installed?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You need to get the next larger drop tube for the measure, simply call RCBS they will send you one.-Muddy

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
This.

Sometimes we can miss the obvious.

I would check this, especially if trying to charge a 25-06 case!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy a baffle for it, Uniflow's like them. Guess that's why they make them.
Never drop to a pan, it can actually promote bridging.
Drop to a spent case into a powder funnel, then dump into the scale. Trickle from there you must.

Swifty
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm. I've got a baffle in, and I'm meticulous with my rhythm. I'm also using the large drop tube.

So I guess I'm going to take the booger apart. Clean it for the first time in 14 years and wipe everything down with a dryer sheet.

I'll let y'all know the results. THanks!

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Shaman, I've had the same thing happen before.

Remove the powder reservoir and clean the inside of the powder measuring chamber with a clean, dry cloth. Made sure there is absolutely no oil inside the measuring chamber because that will cause powder to stick. Remove the drop tube and clean it, and as much of the inside of the drop chamber that you can. Wipe everything down with a anti-static dryer sheet, then reassemble.

This will typically help.

Sniper is right, especially if you haven't cleaned it in 14 years.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
Hmmm. I've got a baffle in, and I'm meticulous with my rhythm. I'm also using the large drop tube.

So I guess I'm going to take the booger apart. Clean it for the first time in 14 years and wipe everything down with a dryer sheet.

I'll let y'all know the results. THanks!

With the Uni-Flow (or my Hornady too), when running the heavy stick powders, I grasp the handle firmly by the whole shank so that when the grains bind and don't shear right away, without allowing any jiggling to let them settle one way or another, I use the firm grasp I have to cut the grains off. While that doesn't make a smooth even stroke of the handle, it is still as seamless as I can accomplish and it seems to be quite consistent. The tap-tap at the bottom (and top) of the stroke - consistency is critical- seem to avoid bridging problems in the drop funnel portion of the measure. If I don't weight individual charges after measuring, I at least view and compare all charged cases before I begin bullet seating.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy a Redding..problem gone!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.