Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
That is too much gun. There is a balance needed among velocity, energy and accurate bullet placement with the right bullet.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Carry whichever one of the 3 you feel most comfortable with and pack a good sidearm in 45 Colt.

??!!

Maybe borrow a 308 or a 7/08. Or use the 270.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
223 AI

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 175rltw
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Carry whichever one of the 3 you feel most comfortable with and pack a good sidearm in 45 Colt.

??!!

Maybe borrow a 308 or a 7/08. Or use the 270.

Amazing how many people want to prove they have no idea what they are talking about. wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well maybe so, but if you're nice you'll overlook those habits of mine.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Well maybe so, but if you're nice you'll overlook those habits of mine.

+1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only until I see a 45 on his hip on a sheep mountain... Then I would likely be inclined to just shoot him to get him out of his misery... and insanity. Would not go near the corpse though just in case it was contagious... wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
What? You want a 46?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well its good and humane to use enough gun. You only have to chase a sheep or bear a few times to know that punching holes in a target doesnt translate to killing game. Take a heavy penetrating bullet or wide wound channel whenever you can. Any of the guns would work but the 300 is the safest bet. Like the poster said the 308 is a good caliber......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"You only have to chase a sheep or bear a few times to know that punching holes in a target doesnt translate to killing game."

Thinking I do not agree with that at all...

I have never punched a hole in a sheep that did not die right there, even with mediocre bullets and some in modest sizes. My first sheep died due to 6mm holes...

And bears are equally prone to expiring with decent bullet placement though it may take a tad more time. I did fail to recover a hard hit black bear, but that was out of a very large number of them. Enough I cannot give an accurate count...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And the black bear I failed to recover was shot with a 300WM...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sanity check.

The two factors that most people weight most heavily, whether intentional or not seem to be proximity to home/ availability o hunt and proximity o bears.

The further one travels from home- or the less frequently the particular hunt is available- the more people want a "bigger gun" and damn if I haven't read David petzal and a bunch of the others van zwoll etc all say the same thing- only dish it out as advice- bring a bigger gun so you can take that last ditch shot if that's all you get. What a horrible idea. When the chips are down you want the gun you think about the least. Period. The one you forget is in your hands until it isn't anymore at which point your arms feel weird. Bring that rifle. I you haven't got one, you need to elevate the bar as far as your standard of living and quality of life- come in out of the cold and get a rifle that really works. That's the gun you want if your going to take a Hail Mary- which is silly.

Proximity to bears- no freaking way is that any kind of excuse to punish yourself with a rifle that makes you take notice of its presence. Or god forbid strapping a sidearm to your hip on a sheep hunt. Save the sidearm for those long mornings in a tower stand while you wait for a whitetail buck in your price range to show up. Or while you ride around in the safari buggy looking for oryx and gemsbok in Crawford Texas what have you.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Loads of good advice so far - just take the rifle you are most comfortable shooting - any one of your battery will serve your needs.

Last edited by Kudu11; 10/28/14.

This where I come from - http://youtu.be/KJr9jvsXFN4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sanity check.

The two factors that most people weight most heavily, whether intentional or not seem to be proximity to home/ availability o hunt and proximity o bears.

The further one travels from home- or the less frequently the particular hunt is available- the more people want a "bigger gun" and damn if I haven't read David petzal and a bunch of the others van zwoll etc all say the same thing- only dish it out as advice- bring a bigger gun so you can take that last ditch shot if that's all you get. What a horrible idea. When the chips are down you want the gun you think about the least. Period. The one you forget is in your hands until it isn't anymore at which point your arms feel weird. Bring that rifle. I you haven't got one, you need to elevate the bar as far as your standard of living and quality of life- come in out of the cold and get a rifle that really works. That's the gun you want if your going to take a Hail Mary- which is silly.

Proximity to bears- no freaking way is that any kind of excuse to punish yourself with a rifle that makes you take notice of its presence. Or god forbid strapping a sidearm to your hip on a sheep hunt. Save the sidearm for those long mornings in a tower stand while you wait for a whitetail buck in your price range to show up. Or while you ride around in the safari buggy looking for oryx and gemsbok in Crawford Texas what have you.

That should be a sticky on the AK Forum...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Mucho sense there.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I built a 6lb 416 Taylor just for sheep hunting in bear country. I can lob 400gr bullets as far as I feel comfortable shooting, and bears are of no consequence.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There always has to be a comedian... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Sanity check.

That should be a sticky on the AK Forum...

agreed, danged good advice from my perspective and experiences

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
plenty of guys that do it different

know more than a few Alaskans that like a sidearm on their hip when hunting.

but not for me in high country, no thankee, not gonna take a kiddie toothbrush that I sawed the handle down, the lightest stove I could find.....

and then add two lbs. of iron on my hip.

different strokes for different folks

but I've seen some strange things in the mountains

one of the most memorable was a guy donating his wool pants to the rocks and finishing his hunt in his polypro longhandles

hard to understand why folks are so goofy about going light weight to sheep hunt

until you've carried a few sheep back with you.

then sawing the handle off a kiddie toothbrush and buying a new jacket for another $200 cause it's 2 oz. lighter than the one you had makes nine kinds of sense.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yeah, the lightweight thing makes a lot more sense after the point is driven home by pain over a long time span. Some folks learn faster than others, and sometimes we call that pain tolerance - other times we call it stupidity.

That said, a 4lb rifle that you can't shoot or a 4 oz rain coat that isn't waterproof doesn't do much good.

175rltw, I don't have anything to add to that, so I'll just say "+1".

You guys do know this thread is 3 years old right?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.