Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by pal
How close are you able to get to him? Within range of a slingshot?

I sit real still and quiet on the front porch and maybe twice a month he'll get within 10 to 15 yards before he notices me and is off like a rocket!

It's kinda like deer hunting! Sit for days seeing nothing, then they show up out of nowhere for 2 seconds and are gone! lol (at least that's how my deer hunting used to go)!

EDIT! forgot to add, I thought of a slingshot but with all the concrete and everything else I'm afraid of the marble or ball bearing bouncing into a neighbors! They already hate me cause I own guns and used to hunt!

Last edited by GhettoSportsman; 10/27/14.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
GB1

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some time ago there was a loose dog hanging around making general nusance of himself. He was not aggressive so I did not want to kill him. I got him in my garage and spray painted a target and crosshairs on him. Sent him on his way never to be seen again.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Calico likes to watch Monday Night Football
[Linked Image]

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DeereJohn
Turpentine,and a corn cob might do the trick.

The way I heard it, it was Turpentine and a bottle brush and after the application of the Turpentine he could pass a Honda vacating the premises!!! whistle wink whistle

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
If I could catch this devil tom out in the middle of the night it would be no problem. Everyone around here is in bed by 1am and between then and daylight it would be pretty easy BUT surprisingly he doesn't show up at all here after dark (as far as I can tell)

I may just have to go nocturnal myself for a few months and just give the 12ga a workout!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It's hard to tell how old,and street wise that cat is.You probably aint the only one after it.When I was a kid my cousins lived in town,and I remember a neighborhood cat that everyone called Mr.T.,because he always looked like he'd been tore up fighting.You would think with a name like that he would have been black,but he was one of them orange cats

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
My Calico likes to watch Monday Night Football
[Linked Image]

My mother has one that watches tv also! I think she said it seems to notice animals on the screen!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 1377 and it is ok IF YOU ARE PRETTY DAMN CLOSE. Also, the inability to easily scope it sucks, but that is easily rectified with a little add-on:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Crosm...s_2240_2250_2260_2289_1322_Air_Guns/4387

and I would get the .22 version, but that's just me. I regret getting the .177 now that my pest control air rifles are all .22

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_1322_Air_Pistol_Black/2657

Last edited by goalie; 10/27/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CCI quiet ,or Aquila colibri, 22 shells.
I fired them in my house,and the hammer falling on my lever action henry 22 is louder.
plenty accurate at 50 ft for head shots.
by the way,a cat caught in a conibear trap by the head,is no where near quiet,unless submerged.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman
Originally Posted by mart
Use a live trap. Once you have the offender, drop the trap in a trash can full of water like Pat said. Put the carcass in a heavy garbage bag and and drop it in the freezer till trash day. Problem solved. whistle

I wish it was that simple! That bastard knows what traps are and stays away from em. He can catch all the food he needs. He's got no reason to get near the trap!

Place a small camping mirror in the back of the trap behind the bait. It works with trap wise raccoons. They think another animal is competing for the bait. Works in a lot of cases.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Live trap......turn it over to authorities or take it to the woods and a 410 shot won't hurt the live trap when applied from a few feet.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DeereJohn
It's hard to tell how old,and street wise that cat is.You probably aint the only one after it.When I was a kid my cousins lived in town,and I remember a neighborhood cat that everyone called Mr.T.,because he always looked like he'd been tore up fighting.You would think with a name like that he would have been black,but he was one of them orange cats

HA! We have a monster black one I call Brutis like the bully from the Popeye cartoons. He's been the king of the neighborhood for a long time but now this somewhat new one (about a year) has moved in and Brutis got ripped up on a regular basis! Now I think the two have joined forces and now dominate the neighborhood together!

I've made it a personal mission to relieve the neighborhood of these two! I've got 2 doctors trying to force me into a hospital the last few days! I told them that hospitals kill more people than violent crime and I've had enough of hospitals! I will get these two bastards before they plant me!

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Use a live trap. Once you have the offender, drop the trap in a trash can full of water like Pat said. Put the carcass in a heavy garbage bag and and drop it in the freezer till trash day. Problem solved. whistle

I wish it was that simple! That bastard knows what traps are and stays away from em. He can catch all the food he needs. He's got no reason to get near the trap!

Place a small camping mirror in the back of the trap behind the bait. It works with trap wise raccoons. They think another animal is competing for the bait. Works in a lot of cases.

OH! That might be worth a try! Thanks!!!!

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ALL great ideas but I have 2 cats I like not to kill and a dog that if he got hurt in anyway, I'd be homeless and nutless!!

I have used the live traps to catch and fix some of the other ferals and get them new homes but this bastard is so wild he won't get anywhere near the traps.

May have to try the CB long caps! Sounds like just the ticket!

Whatever you do, if you try a live trap DO NOT try to transfer the bastard to a cardboard box. I know, for fact how that SOB in the truck felt when the Leopard came after him...my neighbors cat climbed right up my leg going for my throat!

Dave

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RDW
ALL great ideas but I have 2 cats I like not to kill and a dog that if he got hurt in anyway, I'd be homeless and nutless!!

I have used the live traps to catch and fix some of the other ferals and get them new homes but this bastard is so wild he won't get anywhere near the traps.

May have to try the CB long caps! Sounds like just the ticket!

Whatever you do, if you try a live trap DO NOT try to transfer the bastard to a cardboard box. I know, for fact how that SOB in the truck felt when the Leopard came after him...my neighbors cat climbed right up my leg going for my throat!

Holy catnip Batman!

GEEZ that was something! So far I have trapped almost a dozen but then I hand em off to one of the feral caretakers and they do the rest.

From what I understand the vets have these steel fingers (for lack of a better word) that they use to back them up in the cage to where their pinned at the very end where they can give em a sedative and knock em out before they open the cage!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I'm pretty sure I would not be shooting in a urban area with anything other than my middle finger. Couple of alternatives not mentioned so far:

A 12 weight flyrod, orange and red streamer. You get a grand fight and plausible deniability.

Trap it, put a shock collar on it. Or skunk scent. Release and behave responsibly.

A baited CATapult.

A good varmint call. It might bring dogs and cats together?

Just suggestions.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Well, I'm pretty sure I would not be shooting in a urban area with anything other than my middle finger. Couple of alternatives not mentioned so far:

A 12 weight flyrod, orange and red streamer. You get a grand fight and plausible deniability.

Trap it, put a shock collar on it. Or skunk scent. Release and behave responsibly.

A baited CATapult.

A good varmint call. It might bring dogs and cats together?

Just suggestions.

Thanks very kindly! It's not like I haven't put any thought into this! It's been going on for a couple years now and I'm fed up with pussyfooting around with this little son of a bitch!

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen my fly rod in a long long time! I wonder where the hell that went!!!!

The trap thing's never gonna work unless I can camo the trap somehow. He just won't get anywhere near it.

The CATapult just might work but I'd probably just get our dog and end up getting skinned and quartered!

I have been playing with some varmint calls but usually end up calling in foxes and yotes! They end up catching and eating one of the cats but never the ones that need to be eaten! lol

back to the fly rod, ya think I should use a catgut leader for that???

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have not read the whole thread, but;
I had the same problem some years back.
One of those spring cock pellet rifles in .177 @ 1,000 FPS did the job. One through the lungs. He was even kind enough to wonder 5 houses away before piling up in the bushes.

MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Anaconda
I have not read the whole thread, but;
I had the same problem some years back.
One of those spring cock pellet rifles in .177 @ 1,000 FPS did the job. One through the lungs. He was even kind enough to wonder 5 houses away before piling up in the bushes.

I think your right! Some kind of pellet or air gun is probably the answer! Thanks!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ya think I should use a catgut leader for that???

Some things are self evident.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.