Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Check out the load ratings. Most P series tires have the same exact weight rating as D rated tires in the same size. If you can find the same tire, in the same size in both C rated LT's and P's, the P's are rated for heavier loads.

While the E rated tires beat P's, they are simply a waste of money on anything under a 3/4 ton.

I've also heard the argument that E rated tires are less likely to have flats even on light duty trucks and SUV's. I've run both and the number of flat tires has been exactly the same. My local tire dealer says he sees the same. Run over something that will let the air out of a P tire, and it will do the same to an E rated tire, and I'm convinced the P's are every bit as tough as a D rated LT tire.

Save yourself a lot of money and get a much better ride and stay with P rated tires.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What helped me decide on which tire to get was the max inflation pressure. The last set I had were BFG Long Trail TAs and they were the least favorite tire I've put on my truck. The max pressure was only 35 psi, they sagged with a load, and the sidewalls were soft. They might work good for an SUV but not for truck that's used as truck.

With the current set the max inflation pressure is 40 psi. The sidewalls are much stiffer and it doesn't sag with a load even at normal pressure (35psi).

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've ran both over the years. Never a flat. I just go LT for peace of mind at this point in my life.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you run over a nail with either type, you'll probably get a flat, from penetration of the tread. So yes, on paved roads the P metric will probably be as flat resistant as an LT. But on the pavement, your sidewalls are up in the air, away from sharp objects smile. Off road, and on the wrong gravel roads, it can be a different story, and your sidewalls need to be tough enough to resist getting cut.

When I was a real farmer, I hauled a lot of square bales with a pickup. Had P-metrics on an old 1/2 ton F100. I'd ruin tires by getting stubble puncturing the sidewalls. But I had a good supply of used tires from my "town pickup" so kept on using them. The other farm pickup had 16s, couldn't use the 15" P-metrics, so had LTs. No flats in the stubble fields.

About 4 years ago in the little town I live in, we got lots of snow and little plowing except for the main routes. Then we got 3 days of high 30s/low 40s weather, just enough to soften the snow to slush, and it froze again. The ruts were about 5"-6" deep on the side streets. Two friends with P-metrics ruined tires with cut sidewalls the first week of that. Another friend with a compact car left their exhaust system behind on a really deep rut smile. I ran the pickup with LTs exclusively during that time, and had no trouble at all. The tire shops were doing good business that winter.

So my vote is for LTs. In my experience they are a tougher tire.

Last edited by 300_savage; 11/02/14.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.