Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking to put tires on my 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 4x4. Generally, the truck is a passenger car and 90+ % of my driving is done on paved roads (albeit some not in the best condition). And I do take the truck on some log and dirt roads from time to time. Lastly, I do plow with the truck (my 400' drive and a neighbors) but I take the plow off when not in use. The guy at the tire store has continually suggested I switch from LT to P-metric tires. But I've been inclined to run LT anyhow.

What's your opinion/experience? Anyone see any really good reason to switch from LT to P-metric given my driving conditions and use?

(Current tires are General Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17 which I've had very good luck with and this set has nearly 50K on them with another couple thousand miles left in them IMO...sort of inclined to run another set of these)

Thanks.
Rob

GB2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
10 ply rating vs 4 ply rating....

my truck takes 4 ply, but I run 10 ply...

last much longer and also don't have to worry about punctures on Forest Service roads, like you would with 4 ply...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The guy at the tire store has continually suggested I switch from LT to P-metric tires.

What's his reasoning?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you do any heavy towing and what size is your truck (1500,2500,3500)?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
The guy at the tire store has continually suggested I switch from LT to P-metric tires.

What's his reasoning?

Gas mileage and ride quality. Neither of which is a huge concern of mine. But the LTs do weigh about 30lbs / tire more so I can see some possible gas cost savings.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Do you do any heavy towing and what size is your truck (1500,2500,3500)?

I don't tow and rarely carry heavy loads. (It's a 1500.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go with the p-rated tires if it were me.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I switched from p metric to LT tires on my truck and noticed no decrease in mpg. Keep them at a lower psi unless you are towing and life is good. If you tow, the LT tires are a good investment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do not run LT tires at a lower pressure than P rated tires. LT tires must be run at a HIGHER pressure to achieve the same load rating as an equivalent size P tire. Obviously, max load rating is achieved at max pressure (typically 80psi for load range E). You don't need max load rating, but you should equal or exceed the load rating of the factory tires. The following link tells you how to pick minimum inflation pressure for your P to LT swap. You can go higher but not lower. Also, be sure your valve stems are rated for the pressure.

P to LT Tire Info

I ran LT tires on a 1/2 ton when I did a lot of dirt road work. They are heavier, give lower MPG, and may last longer due to the thicker tread. They are also more expensive and not generally needed. I always felt better with them but they will bit increase the load carrying ability of your truck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A bud ruined one of the OEM tires and damaged another one on his Sierra 1500 two years ago while hunting in CO and wound up with a new set of LTs on that truck (only set the rural dealer had in stock).

He's beeched and moaned about them ever since, due to slightly less MPGs and a rougher ride (in his opinion), plus the cost of the tires.

His choice at the time: Take what the dealer had to offer, or be without a truck until another set of tires could be shipped in and lose a day or two of hunting time out there.

I've had a few trucks over the years that I ran LTs on, but now mostly stick with whatever type of tire came on the truck when new. Probably because I'm older, squeakier and less adventurous?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think most people that deal with gravel roads will gladly put up with a little rougher ride and lower MPG (I never noticed) of an LT tire. I've had two flats in one day coming across a 50 mile stretch of gravel road. I'll take a little rougher ride, anytime.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
On the pressure topic, I was referring to running them on a daily basis at a lower level than when towing or hauling ,but still within factory specs. My Cooper dealer told me to do th is when I put on my HT load range E tires.I got right at 50 k out of them and drive gravel daily.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I run LT's on my Dakota. It's mostly a commuter, but I don't trust the pmetrics on a vehicle that heavy.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The upside to the P-metric is they carry a tread life warranty where all the LTs do not. I'm still leaning LT. Mostly due to the plowing and dirt road use. Just not sure I need them.

Thanks for the input guys.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some LT's do carry a tread life warranty. I believe toyo at2 does, as well as some pro comp tires.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bucktail
I run LT's on my Dakota. It's mostly a commuter, but I don't trust the pmetrics on a vehicle that heavy.

I have P-metrics on my '01 F150 Supercrew, the GF has them on her Expedition. I've not had a problem with mine, her only problems were on-road (with a different driver, who knows how she drives?). I'm pretty sure both those rigs weigh more than a Dakota, unless you carry a lot of extra stuff...

And I do a pretty fair amount of rough gravel road driving in Eastern Oregon during goose season.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've run both, on the same pickup. My 98 F150 was used like a car for the first 100,000 miles and I put P tires on it. When it was graduated down to a farm pickup I changed to LTs quickly. For pure highway/city use, a P tire is ok, and will indeed get you a little better mileage. But my experience for any off-road or gravel road use, the LT is far better. The sidewalls are much tougher, and resist rock damage that will give you a flat on a P tire. I run the LT tires on a 1/2 ton pickup around 45 lbs for empty use, put a little more in if hauling. I also like the lack of sway on corners with the LT. Steering is more positive, I think. LTs do ride rougher, but not enough to bother me.

For what it's worth, people who live off the blacktop and have to travel on gravel roads a lot wouldn't use P tires on a pickup if you gave them a set. They get tired of fixing flats from rock damage.

Last edited by 300_savage; 10/31/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shouldn't be so cynical but people that buy status four wheel drives kill me. If you need a four wheel drive than an lt tire is probably your huckleberry. If your ass is too tender than drive a luxury car. Sorry to insult but this topic is a pet peeve.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, my parents live on a gravel road. And if I go out to Wyoming, there is enough shale on the 2 tracks, that I don't p metrics on it.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I shouldn't be so cynical but people that buy status four wheel drives kill me. If you need a four wheel drive than an lt tire is probably your huckleberry. If your ass is too tender than drive a luxury car. Sorry to insult but this topic is a pet peeve.

WOW!

I'm one of those guys you love to hate.

My truck has a 140,000 plus miles on it and I've never ran a set of LT tires. I have smooth riding tires (and shocks) and my truck rides like a Cadillac. It corners exceptionally well and gets the best mileage, ever, with the current set of tires.

Every once in a while I'll pull the 4WD shift lever thingy just to see if works.

Nah. Not really. wink

I've put over 40,000 miles on it running in 4WD. grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Check out the load ratings. Most P series tires have the same exact weight rating as D rated tires in the same size. If you can find the same tire, in the same size in both C rated LT's and P's, the P's are rated for heavier loads.

While the E rated tires beat P's, they are simply a waste of money on anything under a 3/4 ton.

I've also heard the argument that E rated tires are less likely to have flats even on light duty trucks and SUV's. I've run both and the number of flat tires has been exactly the same. My local tire dealer says he sees the same. Run over something that will let the air out of a P tire, and it will do the same to an E rated tire, and I'm convinced the P's are every bit as tough as a D rated LT tire.

Save yourself a lot of money and get a much better ride and stay with P rated tires.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What helped me decide on which tire to get was the max inflation pressure. The last set I had were BFG Long Trail TAs and they were the least favorite tire I've put on my truck. The max pressure was only 35 psi, they sagged with a load, and the sidewalls were soft. They might work good for an SUV but not for truck that's used as truck.

With the current set the max inflation pressure is 40 psi. The sidewalls are much stiffer and it doesn't sag with a load even at normal pressure (35psi).

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've ran both over the years. Never a flat. I just go LT for peace of mind at this point in my life.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you run over a nail with either type, you'll probably get a flat, from penetration of the tread. So yes, on paved roads the P metric will probably be as flat resistant as an LT. But on the pavement, your sidewalls are up in the air, away from sharp objects smile. Off road, and on the wrong gravel roads, it can be a different story, and your sidewalls need to be tough enough to resist getting cut.

When I was a real farmer, I hauled a lot of square bales with a pickup. Had P-metrics on an old 1/2 ton F100. I'd ruin tires by getting stubble puncturing the sidewalls. But I had a good supply of used tires from my "town pickup" so kept on using them. The other farm pickup had 16s, couldn't use the 15" P-metrics, so had LTs. No flats in the stubble fields.

About 4 years ago in the little town I live in, we got lots of snow and little plowing except for the main routes. Then we got 3 days of high 30s/low 40s weather, just enough to soften the snow to slush, and it froze again. The ruts were about 5"-6" deep on the side streets. Two friends with P-metrics ruined tires with cut sidewalls the first week of that. Another friend with a compact car left their exhaust system behind on a really deep rut smile. I ran the pickup with LTs exclusively during that time, and had no trouble at all. The tire shops were doing good business that winter.

So my vote is for LTs. In my experience they are a tougher tire.

Last edited by 300_savage; 11/02/14.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.