Print Thread
Hop To
D
dfcjr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Has anyone had enough good experiences with any shop down here to recommend them as good and ethical. I would appreciate any help.

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Dunno about lower pen. Echo Lake in Soldotna is good.

Might check Seafood Processing on the Spur Hwy in Soldotna, also. A vac-packer is a vac-packer.... can't say about their cutting skills on game. They do have a nitrogen quick-freeze machine.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
McNeil canyon meats is the only one that I know of in Homer area. Haven't heard any thing bad about them.

D
dfcjr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
If you too 500 pounds of meat to them and got back 200 pounds at a cost of $2per pound how would you rate the event?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I'm just going to guess, based on the posts, that would be a first to him. Savvy?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

D
dfcjr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
A thoughtful thread on how to choose a processor for your moose, and some suggestions as to which ones have given good service would be of help to a number of residents. People do not know what they can reasonably expect from the transaction and basically are at the mercy of the shop. What is needed is accurate information.
Few persons object to paying a fair price for a good job.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Processors and guides are difficult for many residents to comment upon, as their use is in frequent, IMO&E.

One hears the bad far more often than the good by some goodly margin. Not having a negative experience is of some value.

It sounds like your mileage has varied.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used a few different processors over the years (Mikes in ER, ASS in Anc, Indian Valley) and I find myself always going back to Indian Valley Meats. I dropped off 321 lbs of moose, some still on the bone, and I brought home about 250 lbs of meat. This years moose is probably some of the best i've ever had too.

I know it's not on the peninsula but you wanted feedback so there it is.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Do you have them cut/wrap/grind, etc?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
dfcjr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
My initial post was intended to elicit helpful information to those on the Peninsula that have need for a processor, and to let them know that there are consequences to that decision. I have been dealing with moose since I came to the Territory in 1950 so have some experience in the process. My very good friend is a retired processor of meats and provides a good standard. A few telephone calls showed that there are different ways of determining costs for the process.

One way is to charge a flat fee per pound for the meat submitted for processing- say 75 cents per pound. Another was to charge one dollar and 25 cents per pound of meat returned to customer. In my case I chose the the former because I thought it most fair to each party.

In retrospect, I have considered both ways and have come to some conclusions. Based solely on maximizing profits consider the two ways. In the first way, I surrender my control of the meat when I give it to the firm, and owe them $375. The firm would have the greatest profit if they took the $375, the meat, and spent no money on labor, paper, or other expenses.

Consider the second way. The firm will make the most profit if they maximize the amount of meat delivered to the customer.

Which method is most fair to both parties? Each person must answer for himself. My old friend chose the first, and his customers were happy with the arrangement. I might add that he is absolutely honest.

Indian Meats, Tustamina Smokehouse are names that have surface when talking with people. This is not an exhaustive list of firms thought satisfactory.

If ever I must repeat the process, I will ask my friends to recommend a firm they have used, and to accompany me to the firm when I drop off the meat. Others may have a better solution.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

We hang it, cut it ,grind it, mix it, package it ourselves. It's a pretty good way to handle things I think.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ive been using indian valley for 30 years. The last two years i used echo lake and really am impressed. Their cuts are lean like iv used to be and their wrapping old school freezer paper also how i like it cause vacuum breaks open. They cost more than iv but so far worth it. Cuts driving also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Do you have them cut/wrap/grind, etc?

I have them do all that but I don't let them mix the grind with anything and I have them coarse grind all of it. This way I can do the 2nd grind and mix in whatever I want, ie, mushrooms, onion, garlic, or whatever else I choose to keep the meat moist. Pretty happy with the end product from IVM's.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tustamena Smokehouse. Had them make polish sausage, hunter sticks, and spicy bfast sausage for me. Bear and moose. They are very friendly and their products turn out excellent!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,748
Posts18,457,795
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.