Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Outstanding! That rifle looks like a masher!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
BP-B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by BCSteve
We left for our annual moose hunt on October 18th, it gave us a few days to find a good camp spot and a bit of scouting before the opening on the 20th. I ended up walking the same trail I had found last year, lots of moose signs and several swamps and ponds. This year lots of blow downs across the trail prevented ATV's from driving too far in it so, on foot, I had the whole place to myself.

On the third day, I took the path of the main trail that led to one of the ponds. As I approached the pond I saw this small bull in the water on the far side. We saw each other at the same time. He started trotting away to the shore and in the tall grass. I had the VX3 already on 2.5 and quickly found the bull in the crosshair as I took a knee. Gave him a bit of a lead and fired. At the shot I saw him drop like a bag of hammer, never to budge again.

Upon closer examination, it looks like I gave him more lead than required at only about 75 yds and the 250gr TTSX hit him in the neck which explained the reaction at the shot. Straight through, obviously, and a smashed neck.

Not a huge test for the mighty .375 Ruger but I'll take it anyway. This short compact rifle was a pleasure to carry and felt lighter than it actually was.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger;
McMillan Mark II Classic in GAP camo;
Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 in Ruger low rings;
Bedded and action smoothed by Guntech;
Barnes 250TTSX pushed by 83.5gr of H4350 @ 2750fps

[Linked Image]

Decent bull, very nice rig. Congratulations!

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Do you have a pic of the rifle as you have it done up now?

How do you like the Mickey stock for it? Is it really the same as the Sako Classic pattern?

The rifle as it shows in my original post is how its done up now. It's started as a factory Ruger Alaskan in the Hogue stock. Not sure what the Sako Classic looks like.

Thanks guys. It's not my first moose and not my biggest either but my first one with the .375 Ruger. I've shot moose with a 7mm Rem Mag, .35 Whelen and .300 WSM but the .375 Ruger Alaskan was awesome to carry with it's 20" barrel. It's also comforting to carry in grizzly country.

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by uinta
Nice bull.
Interested in the rifle- how's the recoil? Accuracy?

I'm not going to lie, the recoil is there. I even bought a Past shoulder sissy pad for bench work. In the field, as usual for me, I didn't feel anything.

With the load described above, when I finished developing the load I shot two 3 round group on the same target and ended up with a 6 shot group slightly over an inch.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That rifle is one really nice package. If it was not well thought out (which I'm sure Ruger did), it certainly turned out well!! Congrats!!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nice meat bull, young enough to be tender, big enough to fill the freezer....yummmm

and those .375 Rugers seem pretty danged nice. Pard killed a 9 something bear on Kodiak last year at about 18 yards

nuther pard was backing him up with a .458 Lott, wasn't needed.

course they cut the bear off perfectly and the bear never had any idea what hit him.

it can go a lil different with a bear that's revved up.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations and thanks for posting it here. I'm not a forum traveler and would have not seen the write up or photos had you not posted with us.

cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
[quote=uinta]Nice bull.
Interested in the rifle- how's the recoil? Accuracy?

I'm not going to lie, the recoil is there. I even bought a Past shoulder sissy pad for bench work. In the field, as usual for me, I didn't feel anything.

With the load described above, when I finished developing the load I shot two 3 round group on the same target and ended up with a 6 shot group slightly over an inch. [/quote

Sounds like what I would probably do at the bench, yeah in the field it's not a concern.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Nice job. The 250gr TTSX is the bullet I've been wanting to try in my .375 Ruger as well, as the 260 Accubond didn't penetrate like I wanted. Looks like this one will. My moose season opens Saturday, so I hope my luck is as good as yours.

I used the 250gr TTSX in my .375 HH. A couple years ago I called in a 54" bull and shot him straight on at about 45ish yds. The bullet entered his chest and exited out behind his last rib.
I think I am going to use that set-up again next season.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like that rifle. Appears it performed as it should. Glad to hear you got a great moose. Lots of good meals there. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to find one of those. (rifles)

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Good job. I really like those Ruger 375's. Congrats.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Nice job. The 250gr TTSX is the bullet I've been wanting to try in my .375 Ruger as well, as the 260 Accubond didn't penetrate like I wanted. Looks like this one will. My moose season opens Saturday, so I hope my luck is as good as yours.

I used the 250gr TTSX in my .375 HH. A couple years ago I called in a 54" bull and shot him straight on at about 45ish yds. The bullet entered his chest and exited out behind his last rib.
I think I am going to use that set-up again next season.

Thats what I like to hear! I can't find any up here yet, but if I do I'll certainly be trying them.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Congratulations and thanks for posting it here. I'm not a forum traveler and would have not seen the write up or photos had you not posted with us.

cool cool

+1

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kudu11
Yes 4, congrats, you can count. Most of these boards have different audiences.

OK - I was just wondering if it's the only thing that you ever shot - hence the broadcasting to the masses!

Well done BTW!

i know this isnt the 1st time you've heard this but... GFY dick

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like the looks of your rifle quite a bit. Neat setup. The moose looks delicious..

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Originally Posted by Kudu11
Yes 4, congrats, you can count. Most of these boards have different audiences.

OK - I was just wondering if it's the only thing that you ever shot - hence the broadcasting to the masses!

Well done BTW!

i know this isnt the 1st time you've heard this but... GFY dick

grin

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I like the looks of your rifle quite a bit. Neat setup. The moose looks delicious..

Thanks! It's basically a stock Ruger Alaskan with the McMillan stock that I borrowed from my .35 Whelen. I never thought that the 2" shorter barrel would fell so different. I love the handling of the short Alaskan. I don't think the stock is going back on the Whelen. Actually, the Whelen may have to look for a new home!

Last edited by BCSteve; 11/06/14.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well, your 375 will do anything your whelen will do but shoot .357 pistol bullets.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 3,112 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.