Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Yep Kitch. Those are some mighty fine groups right there. You sure you didn't steal my targets? smile. Those groups look familiar.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not unless you were using 59.5 gr of H4831 with a Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tip. Targets from a good 270 will look familiar as they group 3/4"-1". Just a different pattern.

Last edited by Kitch; 10/30/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kitch
Not unless you were using 59.5 gr of H4831 with a Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tip. Targets from a good 270 will look familiar as they group 3/4"-1". Just a different pattern.

I agree if we are talking 5 shot groups. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With my .222 I shoot five shot groups. With the Browning 45-70 and black powder, five shot groups but, with the 270, 7x57 it's three shot groups. Them FW barrels heat up a lot quicker than a bull barrel an inch across like the Browning.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kitch
With my .222 I shoot five shot groups. With the Browning 45-70 and black powder, five shot groups but, with the 270, 7x57 it's three shot groups. Them FW barrels heat up a lot quicker than a bull barrel an inch across like the Browning.

Yeah, my fwt barrels really suck too:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My 1957 270 fwt shoots even better than my 30-06. The rifle I sold to 79s (270 XTR fwt) shoots like this:
[Linked Image]
Quick 10 shot group...

Just barely good enough for hunting. I hope he forgives me blush

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I never load more than 3 rounds in a rifle so 3 shot groups are it for me.

Now that doesn't mean I haven't shot some 5 shots group in my life.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When I shoot comp, they don't let us shoot 3 shot groups. It's 10 shots at a time. Even my 9.3x2mm doesn't mind:

[Linked Image]

This is just a hunting rifle without a heavy barrel contour:
[Linked Image]

Skinny barrels shoot good too. I don't buy into the nonsense about groups walking all over because the barrel heats up too much. If your rifle is glass bedded properly and it has a good barrel, it's going to shoot good 5+ shot groups. As far as loading a rifle, I load the sob up if it takes 5 like my 30-06's and 9.3x62mm I put 5 in and maybe even one in the tube. I also automatically jack another one in after firing the first. If you want to see what rifle and shooter can do, fire off some 10 shot groups:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My 375 H&H even holds 4 in the magazine, but I generally only fire 3 shot groups in that rifle:
[Linked Image]

Admittedly, I find 3 shot groups very boring...

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd send 'em back. wink

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Thanks everyone. Woodworking and building stuff has always been a hobby of mine. This stock stuff is really growing on me and I have even received three jobs to start at the beginning of the year for checkering/finishing.

I am also working on a new stock for my 59 Alaskan. I already have it pillared and bedded, just need to finish it up once we move to New Mexico at the end of the month.

I look forward to seeing your Alaskan!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pat, nice work on stock of first rifle. Would like to see the Alaskan. Second rifle looks like a real keeper, too. I likes me some .270, myself. Great shooting.

BSA, you always crack me up when you post those targets. You are a friggin riot with that. Here it is. It is what it is. Hilarious. Good stuff. Keep it coming.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

I'll never get a ten shot group like that. That's why I only fire three. Them pencil thin FW barrels heat up enough after three rounds to light a cigarette off the barrel. That's after you've sit there a while, scratch your azz a bit, spit on the ground half a dozen times and poke around in your range bag before the next shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice targets, BSA! That'll work in a pinch. Lol. wink

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Pat, nice work on stock of first rifle. Would like to see the Alaskan. Second rifle looks like a real keeper, too. I likes me some .270, myself. Great shooting.

BSA, you always crack me up when you post those targets. You are a friggin riot with that. Here it is. It is what it is. Hilarious. Good stuff. Keep it coming.

Ha ha. If for nothing else, it is good entertainment grin. I always have a little fun doing it too. Hopefully you guys don't take me too seriously. I love the shooting sports, have belonged to many gun clubs where I've shot competition trap and won quite a bit of money doing it. However, my love for rifles has always superseded the shotgun end of things. About 4 years ago I got an infection in my left eye that almost caused me to go blind in that eye. I shoot left handed, so it ended my trap shooting. At the time I was making about $100/weekend with my shotgun, so I gave that up and went back to shooting rifles. My eyesight was down to 20/80 in my left eye and lines were not straight anymore (like macular degeneration). Crosshairs were really screwed up to look at. My first eye injection was on a Friday night and I shot rifle comp the next day with my FN PBR XP 300 wsm and my hunting loads. I averaged 100-9x on my targets (10 shot groups) . My eyesight is much better now and I have not had to have an eye injection for 3 years almost to the day. I realize I post a lot of target pictures, but I feel as though I am lucky to even be shooting and even more blessed that I can still hit the bull grin. I hope everyone here has successful hunts this year and shoot straight. Make that shot count!! I'm really looking forward to my bull elk hunt that starts on Nov. 8th!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA, you keep on the pedal, buddy. Always enjoy reading your posts.

A couple good friends have been going through this eye stuff, too. One, a USmC force recon officer Vietnam 7 yrs older than me, fell in the shower recently and got his eye worked on and stitched.

They took out half the stitches last week. ? He cannot see worth a schit. Bums me out for him because he is into Cowboy shooting and has the Uber gear.

I told him last night to just come out and shoot with me. I really don't care if he hits anything. I will just keep feeding guns and magazines.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.