Print Thread
Hop To
D
Docbill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Forgive me if this product has been discussed but I couldn't find it using search.

Does anyone have any experience with this chrono. If so compare it to other brands for reliability of speed data. It looks so simple compared to screens and it is so much more compact. I have a Shooting Chrony and would like to go to another product.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's been a number of posts covering the Magneto and the obvious advantages are covered in the sales literature. Clamping the detector to the end of the barrel changes the point of impact and some have found it changed the group size as well. If that's the case you can't test velocity and accuracy at the same time, so if you're a handloader you have to load twice as many rounds for each test load you work up in your quest for the ultimate load. Not everyone agrees, of course. If you want to test more than one gun you have to switch the detector from gun to gun.

Being you already have a Shooting Chrony you can use it where it has the advantage and use the Magneto where has the advantages. Just as it's hard to have too many rifles it's hard to have too much gear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have read a few reviews and they all glowed on how well they work but my immediate thought was just what Larry eluded. How does it affect accuracy? I will stick to my cheap old Shooting Chrony....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Having used Chonys for years before with their light shades, tripods, multiple adjustments so as not to shoot the thing, I picked up the latest model Magneto not long ago. I find the technology that measures velocity the way it does pretty interesting. The lack of bulk and equipment - tripods, etc. - to haul to the range is nice.

I originally was quite impressed with it. But after more use here are my thoughts. The concept of attaching to the barrel seems sound but IMO the way they've devised it is the weak point. The screw tightening/Velcro strap attachment needs adjustment after every shot depending on the recoil of the rifle. I can never get it snug enough to suite me and it loosens constantly often resulting in missed readings. You also have multiple shims to add or take away depending on the particular rifles barrel contour and thickness. Thus if you are measuring loads for more than one rifle, you must be making shim adjustments - taking away or adding; at best this is an inconvenience.

Having to do it again, I would have bought the Pro Chrony for I think half the money or less.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I love my Magneto speed. I don't care about groups while shooting it as I have already done the load work, and am just checking speed to enter for my ballistics chart. The ease and simplicity of the Magnetospeed make it a game changer IMO.

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Huntr
I love my Magneto speed. I don't care about groups while shooting it as I have already done the load work, and am just checking speed to enter for my ballistics chart. The ease and simplicity of the Magnetospeed make it a game changer IMO.

+1, really like mine. POI does change a bit and groups seem to open up a little,but I don't get to hung up on whether it's a .3789"or a 1.0024" group either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Chip, what am I doing wrong? No constant adjustment of the strap?

But if you've "already done the load work," you've done it for accuracy only? Then, what if you find it's 200 fps less than expected? I understand the Magneto changing POI as opposed to it not being attached (ie, hunting) so then you are in effect working the accuracy aspect and velocity aspect separately and sequentially?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have whatever the first version of the MagnetoSpeed chrony is, had it for over two years..I love it.

It only took one confusing reading for me to start carrying a set of fresh batteries (and a jewelers screwdriver to access the battery chamber..don't like that). But a set of batteries lasts me more than 20 hours (that's like 6 months of range time for me).

My version has a ladder slide and a sort of cam latch on the barrel strap, never had it loosen up on a rifle. Never tried it on a pistol.

They change point of impact, even on a bull barrel, but I don't think they effect accuracy, my groups are the same either way. I'm a weekend shooter not a competitive bench shooter, so take that for what it's worth.

They are GREAT for load development, when a range trip is just three rounds each of three different loads. You don't want to disrupt other shooters to set up an optical chrony. MagnetoSpeed can be quickly and easily set up behind the bench.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
George,

A friend of mine bought a Magneto-Speed and thought it was the greatest until the attachment (as you describe) worked a little loose between shots, and he forgot adjust it. The next bullet nicked the chronograph, of course breaking it. He had it repaired, but will use it on a bench-top stand separate from the barrel from now on. I haven't heard how this is working out.

From everything I have read the Magnet-Speeds are accurate enough for most chronographing (and more accurate than the other non-light-screen chronographs I've researched), but the 6" spacing is a little short for doing any decent statistical analyses of standard deviation, etc., if that's what you're into.

Not having to place the chronograph in front of the bench on public ranges is sure a plus, but I do most of my shooting on a private range. I also really need to chronograph while shooting groups, because I do a considerable amount of load testing, but that's just me. I also have had enough velocity surprises with various powder/bullet combinations to not be happy with working up a load "blind," without and chronograph data, and then just clocking the final load.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John,

Your friend's experience has apparently been mine as mentioned and I too have always done load work shooting for accuracy and velocity simultaneously, not in sequence.

Considering the investment, I'll continue to work with the barrel attachment and perhaps try some different things. Just in general it seems some kind of tension-clamp would immobilize it much better than a Velcro strap.

When it has worked for me, it has worked well, fast and seemingly was very accurate. I don't mean to be overly critical because there are a lot of advantages to this equipment but again it must be able to be held completely immobile and that's where I've had the problem.

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mine has no velcro. Once I changed the rubber pad to the thicker one, I have not had any trouble with it coming lose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Are there variations?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you're referring to the pads, mine came with 2. It was tough to keep it tight with the thinner one. I probably don't shoot with it as much as some, but have not had it come lose after 10 shots. The thinnest barrel I've used it on is a Remington sporter, the thickest is a Brux #3.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hi George!
To clarify, I have shot some groups with the Magnetospeed and did notice some change in group size although not horrible. All I really use it for is to check velocities of loads that are shooting well and then I input the data into my ballistic calculators and start checking them further out. I have not had a load that was 200 fops off of what I was expecting, most are within 50fps. When I have had that kind of variation in the past I simply contemplated taking up golf.... wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was planning on purchasing the Magneto, but because of the price and all of the negative reviews i have now changed my mind and i think will just stick with my Pact Ballistic Computer for now.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Docbill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thank all of you for the input. Based up the various experiences, I just may get the PACT and sell the Chrony for the upgrade.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In his latest book, Bryan Litz compares the magneto with a bunch of other chrono's. He found it to be very accurate and precise, meaning it was very good at reading the actual velocities, and being consistently accurate. Its a good read.

Last edited by mod7rem; 10/30/14.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I compared mine to my previous chrono and found them to give virtually identical measures.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have had trouble with it slipping forward on the barrel, and even completely off. I can fix that by setting the strap loop so small I can barely slip it on the barrel and then using the screw to tighten it even more, but I think I am going to try some masking tape on the barrel to see if that will provide enough friction to hold it in place.

Switching rifles on the range is a pain because the spacers and rubber barrel protector (also functions as a spacer) will be different. You'll quickly learn you need to make a note of your spacers for each rifle. Ex. M-L/L But the spacers are supposed to be kept together with tiny bolts -- not the kind of thing you want to be messing with on the range, so I don't even use the bolts. They really aren't needed, anyway.

I think there needs to be a better way to tighten the strap -- perhaps some sort of camming device where you can put a whole lot of pressure on strap so the unit won't ever move.

All-in-all I am happy with it. I don't think the other type chronos would cut it for me on public ranges.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bea175
I was planning on purchasing the Magneto, but because of the price and all of the negative reviews i have now changed my mind and i think will just stick with my Pact Ballistic Computer for now.

My 1982 PACT IV died. Sent it to PACT but it was too old for parts to repair. They let me have a new one at a marked discount. I get the basic chrono without timer as I no longer do cowboy action shooting. I like the set up and the price. I did consider the Magneto but this deal was much less expensive and is about all I need.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 55 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.