-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chapped lips is right. Mice being prey want to be near cover so they tend to track along baseboards. Even better is a tube or small box with no ends (with a trap in it). Even a book or board angled against the wall. Peanut butter or apple has always worked for me in the old Victor-type traps, haven't needed to try anything else. I think apple works better but it's pretty close to a tossup.

Those electronic things definitely don't work.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
they do not work. poison does.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But trapping is more fun, love to hear that snap from the garage. I can outwit mice - hot damn! laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lots of good ideas here but get a cat after your done and use the method the guy mentioned about steel wool and some hot sauce. The steel wool will keep them out for a time. Those bastards can get out of a 1/4" by 1/2" hole.

Since we got a cat that likes to eat them there are seldom any in the house. The barn is a different story though. Too many holes to ever plug out there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had one about 10 years ago I could not kill. I tried old spring traps glue traps, everything but poison. I didn't want one to eat poison then go somewhere that I couldn't get to it and die. One day I come home early and nobody home but me. I was reading at the kitchen table and having a glass of sweet tea and I heard something. Athat SOB had come up through the stove and popped out where the stove eye plugs in. When he went back down I grabbed my oldests BB gun, I waited and when he popped back up BAM right in the neck. It was far more satisfying than a trap. That little sucker was slick but not slick enuff.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 93 POS civic I use for running to town. I knew I had a mouse in it and then it started to stink. At the same time the heater fan started making a funny noise. Pulled the fan and there was the dang dead mouse.

Our house has been infested this year too. We tried putting peppermint oil on cotton balls around and that worked really well for about a week. Then I think the oil wears out.

We've been using poison and sticky traps.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
[Linked Image]

THIS!!! You may need to put a little peanut butter on the board to get them started i the right direction. I've used one in my attic in the Winter and put RV anti-freeze in the pail. Works like a charm.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best way to get rid of them mouse critters is to git your self half a dozen rat snakes and turn em loose in there.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed one so far today.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Get your self about five phone books and some peanut butter and a accurate air rifle and a six pack of Michelob light. You get the idea. It works well a good way to kill a Sunday night. Just make sure you can hunt on Sunday in your state and check hunting over bait laws...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use the mouse poison Decon. I have used it at the camp for decades. It gets rid of squirrels here in the attic too!

http://www.d-conproducts.com/products/

There is another product called TomCat.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
RVB #9292540 10/28/14
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RVB
If you're going to use peanut butter...use Crunchy. I find smooth is too easy for the mice to eat without tripping the wire of death. The best bait I've found so far for the old school traps is a bit of Tootsie Roll.

Chew on it for a minute or two to soften it, and apply. It sticks well and the mice love it.

I just read that somewheres else here recently, I was wondering if it worked. My humble abode sits literally IN the woods, so each year I am inundated with the little critters. Hate is probably a gross understatement for my feelings about the little pests. Somehow, they manage to get INTO my walls, behind the pine boards, tear out insulation and head to build their little nests throughout the house, mostly in the ceiling above my loft.

My cat will kill them, but she is overwhelmed, there are just too many. It is ridiculous. Occasionally I will get a whiff of that all-to-familiar odor of mouse urine, and have nightmares of contracting the Hantavirus or Plague. sick It infuriates me just thinking about it, like an ongoing home invasion; little illegal aliens pouring into my home, unchecked.

I have tried traditional Tomcat traps, but little to nothing seems to interest them when it comes to bait. I have tried Peanut Butter (though not crunchy,) raisins, that TomCat brand bait gel, nothing seems to really 'draw them in' aside from the occasional one here and there. I can't use poison on account of the dogs and the cat, and I have never tried the 'bucket trap,' though I have heard good things. Perhaps I will try a few old school traps using my daughters bag of Tootsie Rolls. Hopefully my success rate will elevate.

I am thankful to the OP for starting this thread, oftentimes, I feel alone in my battle against mice. It is a strangely comforting feeling knowing that I am not alone.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My Grandmother told me many many years ago to sew a piece of bacon to the trap and so far it has worked everytime for many many days.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crittergetter
My Grandmother told me many many years ago to sew a piece of bacon to the trap and so far it has worked everytime for many many days.

Well, that would work on me too!

Can't resist bacon... smile

John

jpb #9292889 10/29/14
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bacon grease for bait on bucket trap roller, raisin packed into bait trigger on spring trap- it gets dry, and they tug at it-
standard Colibri loads in .22 pistol out in the shop. The new spring traps that you just pinch to set or release are working well here in CO and at our MO place. But I've got another dang pack-rat out in the shop, and that bugger is smart.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We used to have mice every winter!!!!! Until we got a Yorkie......She killed 5 or 6 the 1st year. word must have got out!!!! We have not seen a mouse in 5 years.Better than a cat and she doesn't eat much... grin

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The field rats love my tool shed and landscaping. The wife's Pomeranian did his best to kill them all but the rats knew they could escape him by climbing up the trees or the shelves in the shed. We lost the pom and latter got a kitten from a litter of barn cats. She lives in the tool shed. I haven't seen rats or rat droppings in there since she moved in. Occasionally, she will leave part of a rat on the patio to show she's doing her job.

Personally, I prefer snakes to cats but the wife and sons won't let me have snakes.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Unless you want Dead Mice and other rodents hidden in your wall, do NOT use Decon or any other dehydration type product.

They eat it, then crawl off into their "Hiding" places and die. These hiding places are usually in the walls, ceilings or other areas with insulation for bedding.

Trapping them is a far better option then letting them die in your walls and stink up the house.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Get a cat, about a year old, they will destroy a mouse population, when they get too old to hunt or slow down on the killing get another one and get rid of the old guy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got another one this morning.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.