Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Call thebestcooler.com and quiz him some....I would look at the extreme series cooler...the bigger ones also have wheels....These have more insulation so thicker walls and weight.....

Hope this helps.....

Actually that's the website I've been surfing. Lots of information and choices there.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by dawaba
As long as every gas station on the highway sells ice for a buck, it will be a cold day in he!! when I spend many hundred dollars for a Yeti, or similar.

This will also pull double duty when hurricanes come and we're out of power for 10+ days (as we were in Francis and Jeanne in 2004).

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I buy the more affordable coolers and then just wrap the thing with an old sleeping bag when it's really hot out and keep the thing in the shade, keeping any cooler in the shade and how much you open and close it will make all the difference in the world on how long it will keep things cool. Food items should be kept in a cooler that won't get opened and closed much and use a separate cooler for the more frequent use items such as drinks and or snacks. Keep both in the shade and wrapped during hot weather and you'll be fine and have less money going out of your pocket. My .02

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have a 65 and 125 Yeti. Great for keeping ice on longer trips. I've no bear around to test the latches, but it clearly is sturdy smile

One shop in town is carrying Pelicans, which are a similar premium cooler. I'm thinking I may grab a smaller one to keep in the back seat for drinks, snacks, etc. They cost quite a bit less than the Yetis.

Pelicans seem to get the nod from some of the folks I've spoken to locally (mostly offshore fishermen).

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I buy the more affordable coolers and then just wrap the thing with an old sleeping bag when it's really hot out and keep the thing in the shade, keeping any cooler in the shade and how much you open and close it will make all the difference in the world on how long it will keep things cool. Food items should be kept in a cooler that won't get opened and closed much and use a separate cooler for the more frequent use items such as drinks and or snacks. Keep both in the shade and wrapped during hot weather and you'll be fine and have less money going out of your pocket. My .02

Good advice.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Yeti 45 and I love it. It's smaller inside, but all that insulation has to take room somewhere. It also has rubber feet on the bottom that keeps it from sliding around in the bed of the truck, which is great in stop and go traffic, but not so great when you have to get it out of the truck. Also, fully loaded with ice and drinks, it's HEAVY! it's very sturdy, and the top is nice and flat, with a textured surface that makes it nice if you want to stand on it (fishing, etc.).

Last edited by GunLoony88; 10/30/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i would like to add or amend to my previous post that IF I was using a cooler for rugged commercial use or in a boat where it would be used often as a seat or casting platform then I may want to rethink what brand/quality cooler I bought and for how much $. but as far as just keeping stuff cold and fresh, I do think if one's pocketbook is thin then a few common sense enhancements can go a long way to extending your ice time in even the hottest conditions.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 10/30/14.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you want to save a bit and not buy the name per say, Ice Kool is worth a look as well:

http://icekool.net/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,112
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.