Print Thread
Hop To
B
BluMtn Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Couple weeks ago replaced handguard on one of my ARs. took it with me last week and inserted a magazine and racked a round in the chamber. Flipped the safety off and pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I then noticed that the bolt was not fully closed. Pushed the forward assist and could not get it to fully close the bolt. No problem I will just help the forward assist close the bolt. Once the bolt was closed the gun functioned normal. Problem solved, I had cleaned the bolt when I put the new handguard on so I thought I did not get something in time. Always a first. Shot the mag out and went to put another mag in and racked a round in only to find the same thing, the bolt would not fully close. So I helped the forward assist again but as an after thought I decided to look at things alittle closer and removed the the mag and tried to pull the bolt back. Nothing doing. had to help the charging handle but finally got the bolt to free up. So today I have been playing with it and thought I screwed up the bolt when I took it apart but everything looks ok. Took a spare bolt assembly and put it in the upper and function tested it and it worked fine. Put a dummy round in and it does the same thing will not fully close. Without a round in the chamber everything on both bolts works correctly. My question is when I changed the hand guard could I have changed the headspace? I did not remove the barrel or turn it.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The head space is built in to the barrel. You can remove the barrel and the head space is still the same even if your holding the barrel in your hand. Replacing or changing the forearm should not have any effect on chambering a round. Was this reloaded cartridges or factory stuff?

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you do anything to the barrel nut?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Lube...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
curious what brand carbine is it?

IC B2

B
BluMtn Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Factory ammo and yes I replaced the barrel nut. This set has run flawlessly until now. Bushmaster upper with a super ultra match 24" bull barrel.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
even replacing the barrel nut wiht an extension, would be hard to do anything wrong.

Fired cases don't look wildly weird?

I"d take a brush and scrub the bolt locking luck recesses really good. I'd almost think that doing the change, somehow some crud got in there, and it could even be as small as a kernel or three of extruded powder if you ever had a round come apart in the chamber and had to push a bullet back out and had a powder spill in there or such, while fighting this issue.

Beyond that, if the barrel never moved, and you just swapped nuts and then the barrel was checked to still be seated in the reciever and would not budge, once the replacement nut was in place..

The other thought, when replacing nut, you still have to line up the gas tube... is the gas tube perfectly in line? If not it'll fight the part of the BCG that has to engage it... it will bend over, with pressure, and that might also be whats happening.

Trying to think back too, over many years and probably over a million rounds in ARs, I THINK I had a charging handle crack at the end... and bend up a hair and create some issues...I think...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Sounds like it is binding on the Gas tube...I would bet on it.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Lube...

This makes everything better. I would check and make sure everything is well oiled first, then start looking for issues.

Last edited by CBMJR; 10/30/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gas tube dragging shouldn't make it lock up so tight that you can't eject the round. I am going with dirty chamber. Maybe some carbon or something flaked off during the forearm change out and got in the chamber.

Last edited by Oklahoma; 10/30/14.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Did you do anything to the barrel nut?

This.

Is it possible you under torqued your new barrel nut?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 10/30/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
BluMtn Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for all the advice. I torqued the barrel nut to specs but will check all your suggestion. Elk hunting right now but will get back to that project next week.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,047
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.