Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I made my daughter go to the range today, that's right I made her. I've been struggling lately getting her to shoot. I don't want to force her, but deer season is coming up fast and she needs to shoot.

I asked her if she liked hunting, and she said yes but she didn't really like shooting anymore. So she reluctantly said okay to shooting when I told her that she didn't need to shoot a lot she just needed to shoot. I also threatened not to take her hunting in OK for Thanksgiving.

So since she's getting bored with punching paper I decided to switch things up. I had her hang up a paper target at 100 yards and have her take one shot. We walked down and saw that her zero hadn't changed. So we went back to the bench and I adjusted her scope up 3.5 MOA and told her to shoot the gong at 300.

I got a "WHAT" from her! I told her to just take her time and send three shots at it. Then I got a sheepish "okay" out of her.

1st shot and I yelled out "HIT!", she just grinned at me. 2nd shot she missed, I asked her what happened she simply stated "I jerked". I told her to take time with her next shot and do everything like her first, 3rd shot "HIT!", 4th shot "HIT!".

We then packed up everything to head home. Then we walked down and took a look at her target. 3 out of 4 on target and she knew what she did wrong on her miss, that makes for one happy dad. The load is a 125 grain NBT at 3000 fps out of a .300 Savage, and I told her we should be able to "whack and stack OK whitetail" with her rifle.

Hannah with her .300 Savage M700 Classic.
[Linked Image]

Hannah's group 7.531" at 300 yards.
[Linked Image]

Walking back to the bench I asked her if she'd rather shoot at 100 or 300? She said shooting at 300 was a lot more fun. So much fun that tonight when she prayed at supper she thanked God for shooting.

BP-B6

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
hella good shootin. I've got one of those .300 sav classics too, wonderful rifle.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very cool! Stretch it out some more if only for fun...

David

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I made my daughter go to the range today, that's right I made her. I've been struggling lately getting her to shoot. I don't want to force her, but deer season is coming up fast and she needs to shoot.

I asked her if she liked hunting, and she said yes but she didn't really like shooting anymore. So she reluctantly said okay to shooting when I told her that she didn't need to shoot a lot she just needed to shoot. I also threatened not to take her hunting in OK for Thanksgiving.

So since she's getting bored with punching paper I decided to switch things up. I had her hang up a paper target at 100 yards and have her take one shot. We walked down and saw that her zero hadn't changed. So we went back to the bench and I adjusted her scope up 3.5 MOA and told her to shoot the gong at 300.

I got a "WHAT" from her! I told her to just take her time and send three shots at it. Then I got a sheepish "okay" out of her.

1st shot and I yelled out "HIT!", she just grinned at me. 2nd shot she missed, I asked her what happened she simply stated "I jerked". I told her to take time with her next shot and do everything like her first 3rd shot "HIT!", 4th shot "HIT!".

We then packed up everything to head home. Then we walked down and took a look at her target. 3 out of 4 on target and she knew what she did wrong on her miss, that makes for one happy dad. The load is a 125 grain NBT at 3000 fps out of a .300 Savage, and I told her we should be able to "whack and stack OK whitetail" with her rifle.

Hannah with her .300 Savage M700 Classic.
[Linked Image]

Hannah's group 7.531" at 300 yards.
[Linked Image]

Walking back to the bench I asked her if she'd rather shoot at 100 or 300? She said shooting at 300 was a lot more fun. So much fun that tonight when she prayed at supper she thanked God for shooting.

That's so cool. Good on you and nice shooting to your daughter. Good luck with your up and coming hunt as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome! Good luck to the both of you in OK!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
get the girl some tannerite.....

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by huntsman22

In jars about 3" across.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent!!!!!!!!!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yep, just gotta make it fun.

Reminds me of a story about my daughter. I was training her to ride her first horse...a miniature. After a few month she said...dad, I'm thinking about saleing my horse and getting out of riding. All this coming from a 3 year old.

I said OK, but were going to go down to the arena for one last lesson. We get to the arena and go through all the paces. Daughter says can we go now.

Not yet...one more thing then we'll go.

I tell her to run her miniature horse. How do I do that she says as we'd never done that. So we get the horse to run and off she goes.

In the truck on the way home I say...well let's go ahead and put twinkle in the paper for sale tommaro.

No dad...I changed my mind, do you think we can do this again tommaro.

Funny how it all works.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Excellent, all around!

What load is she using in that rig?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22

While not as explosive as tannerite, she does love to whack some prairie dogs. We just couldn't get it done after school as our dog towns are at least an hours drive away, the range is only 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Excellent, all around!

What load is she using in that rig?

FC

Factory ammunition from Double Tap it's rated for 3050 fps that's all I know. bought four boxes of it at a pawn shop for $60, I figured if it didn't shoot I could tear it down for components. Luckily she can hold 3 in an inch at 100 with that load.

She'll be 12 next year and she wants to hunt elk so that's why were using the .300 Savage. Last two years she has used a .223 with 55 grain Barnes TSX on deer in OK. Colorado doesn't allow anything smaller than 6mm, but I'm thinking a .300 Savage with 130 grain TTSX and youth cow hunt will bet the ticket for success. She's tolerating the recoil okay from the 125, and I figure the 130 won't be much different.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Just an update from a proud papa!

My daughter had a good day!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.