Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That shows how perceptive we have become in the 21st century... whistle

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
At the end of the day- new or old- the Interlock is STILL a cup and core bullet. It's NOT a Mono copper slug, bonded or a Partition. A good bullet, but still a cup and core.

If the "old" Hornady Interlocks were perfect- these reviews on Midway's site going back nearly TEN years would not mention bullets that did not exit and core/jacket separations with the 180g Flat based .30 cals....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=414237#productTabReviews

Looking at the reviews for all the Interlock slugs on the midway site is very enlightening. No matter what caliber, flat based or boattail, you get the picture that folks were happy with how they performed FOR THE MONEY. Nobody in those reviews is claiming them to be perfect game bullets which could never "fail"..

To me it's more than a little sad when people accuse Hornady of incompetence or sort of criminal motives in tweaking the design when all the are actually trying to do is improve a product that obviously was not perfect in the first place..

Last edited by jim62; 02/01/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by djs
Question: How receptive is Hornady to customer feedback?

In my experience, they are not too receptive. I've received a snide comment back from my question earlier this year and no response when I showed them their erro on their original comment.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jim62

To me it's more than a little sad when people accuse Hornady of incompetence or sort of criminal motives in tweaking the design when all the are actually trying to do is improve a product that obviously was not perfect in the first place..

I don't think anyone was accusing them of criminal motives. I think it's sad that Hornady doesn't have the decency to even respond to the several people that have contacted them on this issue. To me, that shows incompetence and/or arrogance by not responding to customers' concerns.

Scott
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone ever get a response from Hornady?

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
IC B2

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well its been a few years now how many of you have killed an animal with Hornady 180 flat base and how has it performed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I found out the problem was somebody on the assembly line trying to hurry things up. This resulted in a few oddball bullets with the Interloclk ring higher than usual, but there never was any intentional change to the design--and the problem was eliminated quickly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I found out the problem was somebody on the assembly line trying to hurry things up. This resulted in a few oddball bullets with the Interloclk ring higher than usual, but there never was any intentional change to the design--and the problem was eliminated quickly.

That is great news.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know bullet makers replace forming dies every once in a while, so small changes in bullet shape will occur. But my latest batch of .308" flat base Interlocks has me annoyed.

For one thing the tips of their noses are more bulbous than before, about half way between older Interlocks and a Winchester Power Point. But that's not my problem with them.

Compared side by side with samples from several older lots, it's clear to the naked eye that the break point from shank to ogive has moved a good bit toward the base of the bullet. Measurements for the new bullets with a Sinclair nut are about .030" shorter than earlier lots as far back as those in cardboard boxes with metal clasp corners, up to earlier lots in the latest packaging.

Within magazine length constraints in my 308 rifles I haven't been able to get them to shoot as well as older lots either.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I use a fair amount of hornady spire points. For a while they had the cannelure too low from the break point. There were a number of guns where if i had simply seated to the cannelure the shank of the bullet would have been into the rifling considerably. Seems like I've noted number of hornady dimensional changes over the years but for me using the Sinclair "nut" to set seat depth to old successful dimensions has always resulted in the same good old accuracy.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That worked for me until the latest lot needs .030" to .040" over magazine length to reach the good old "nut length" so to speak.

I ignore cannelures.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by byd
Well its been a few years now how many of you have killed an animal with Hornady 180 flat base and how has it performed.

[Linked Image]

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Perfect answer !

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I hope John Nosler doesn't start jacking w/the Partition. powdr

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

How much did they pay you to say this John?? wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

How much did they pay you to say this John?? wink

Wow you are on a quest brother digging up a 2yr old post..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive been using current generation Interlocks in a small handful of calibres including .25, .277, .30 and .338 ie bullets produced in the last five years. I've dusted quite a lot of pigs and other game, and they honestly don't seem to work any different to what they did 20-30 years ago.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

News Flash. The 180 Flat Base still works.

This one went through both shoulders of a big oryx yesterday. Found it sticking out of the offside shoulder when skinned. Weight 103 grains after plowing through a lot of heavy bone.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

This big cow didn't complain. She just dropped at the shot.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Scott
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Nice kill.....

Have fun.....j3
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

620 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 78 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,311
Posts18,449,194
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.