Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9294439 10/29/14
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I wasn't sure what forum to put this question under, but here goes. I'm in the market for a new premium cooler. I have the choices narrowed down to Yeti, Orca, and Grizzly. Any preference? They all claim to keep ice for about a week, so I'm wondering if any of y'all have experience with hinges, latches, gaskets, etc.

And all three made here in the USA (although Yeti has a manufacturing facility in the Philippines as well).

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two Yeti's (24 and 105 qt)and an Engel (35 qt). All hold ice very well. Summer here in West Texas can get rather warm (100-110 is pretty normal). After a week, the water is cool to the touch. No ice lasts that long in any of mine. Compared to the old coolers (coleman's, Igloo etc) they will hold the ice and keep things cold in those summer-time temps for about 3-4 days, depending upon how often you open it.
I prefer the Yeti's latching system since I'm less likely to break one off by packing stuff around it or by snagging it on something. The Engel uses a good latching system but it is possible to snap it off if you catch it on something hard enough.
The hinges on both work quite well with nary a problem there.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I appreciate that. I need to look at the latch system on the others as well. Whatever I get will be doing double duty as a fridge during hurricane season as well.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
On little tip I learned about Yetis...if you use them as a casting platform . Reverse the rubber latches...they don't stick out as far that way and wont snag fly line as easy...just and FYI...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks Ingwe, I'll keep that in mind.

I think.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use the Yeti's here in SE Texas, they hold ice very well and yes you can use them as a casting platform. Be careful if your needing a large cooler and will be moving it around some. The Yeti's are very heavy and when loaded down they can be back breakers.

Randy

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Amen! I've wondered why they don't put rollers on the bigger ones.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've had a 65 qt Yeti bouncing around in the back of my pickup for over a year and it has held up well. It will keep ice longer if you "pre-cool" it first. And the previous posters are correct it's heavy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I won a 48 Yeti that I fill with ice blocks for drinks on our 8-9 day fishing trip each July. It will provide beverage ice for the entire trip if I keep it in the shade and covered with a tarp.

Our daytime temps are 60-80 usually.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 65 and 125 Yeti. Great for keeping ice on longer trips. I've no bear around to test the latches, but it clearly is sturdy smile

One shop in town is carrying Pelicans, which are a similar premium cooler. I'm thinking I may grab a smaller one to keep in the back seat for drinks, snacks, etc. They cost quite a bit less than the Yetis.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm sure these coolers are great at keeping things cold but I was looking at them the other day and I was shocked at internal to external dimension ratio. The cooler looks big enough for food and drinks for a week but you open it and there's barely enough room for a 6 pack!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an ORCA 26qt...They are very similar to the Yetti...It is a good cooler, however, a friends Yetti 35 will keep ice a little longer...not much...so I was disappointed....

Call thebestcooler.com and quiz him some....I would look at the extreme series cooler...the bigger ones also have wheels....These have more insulation so thicker walls and weight.....

Hope this helps.....

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't have a Yeti, but have Cabelas equivalent from what I can see. Damned expensive and the inside is way smaller than the outside, that being said it kept ice from Nebraska to California + over a weekend. Also bought a Coleman extreme artic? Did just about as well for keeping cold but at a third the price. However the Cabelas Yeti was much better built and should with some care last forever. The Coleman is much lighter construction.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I wanted a Yeti but found a Yeti clone with several features I liked better than the Yeti!! (Handles, drain plug, latches, etc)
It is the Igloo Sportsman 55 Qt Cooler at Sams Club $199. Been using it all fall and am very impressed with it. Past years I would need to make one or or trips off the mountain during my fall trips but this cooler I add 2 10lb blocks of ice and it keeps everything cold for a week.

Ted
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Yetis perhaps have the best customer service out there. Grizzly coolers have better gaskets and keep things cooler for longer times. Engel has a Reefer cooler that can cool things down below zero. PM me if you want insight on the Yetis but I don't know much about the Orcas or the other high end versions.

Sincerely,
Thomas

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
For a 10 day trip we bought some dry ice. It was exremely compact and kept everything frigid. I figure that I will be ahead cash and space wise if I continue this as needed.

Fuzzy

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yetis here,packed one of them up yesterday for our Halloween block party Friday night. Well worth the money,just plan ahead to get the best use of its capabilities....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Love my Yeti coolers and would recommend them, best advice I can give is to get one the correct size for your needs. They dont work nearly as well half full as they do completely full.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As long as every gas station on the highway sells ice for a buck, it will be a cold day in he!! when I spend many hundred dollars for a Yeti, or similar. Heavy to a fault, and with a ridiculously-tiny internal capacity, such Cadillac coolers are the triumph of clever, aggressive marketing campaigns.

I suppose a 10-day hunt in the hot desert might call for such a cooler, but you would have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton pickup to haul the heavy beast....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can see where some applications, depending on the individual situation, the extra expense might be justified.

But for the way I use coolers, a cheap Igloo makes much more sense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 8 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.