Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The bail out was needed because of fraud in the derivatives market, and a complete lack of regulation from the FDIC.
FDIC only creates moral hazard, thus assuring booms, busts, and bailouts. The moral hazard necessitates the regulations, but that's doomed to fail due to the captured regulator phenomenon.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Heres what I dont get. You sign a mortgage and you owe lets say 100k. You pay in ten grand over a few years and then default. The bank has mortgage insurance to make them whole. Then they write off any loss. Then they buy the house back at auction and can sell it again. And all the while you still owe them the entire amount still. Thats just wrong. Everyone's protected but the buyer and honestly if the bank is made whole and your credit takes a hit...then why destroy the buyers life?

Not that they should get off Scot free but something isnt right here.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Scott F
I think I would rather have my money in land if they devalued the dollar. Land has value, maybe not so much with a big fancy house on it but land itself has value.
It's a hard asset, so, like all hard assets, it has real value. But land can be taxed and regulated right out from under you, unlike portable hard assets.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Heres what I dont get. You sign a mortgage and you owe lets say 100k. You pay in ten grand over a few years and then default. The bank has mortgage insurance to make them whole. Then they write off any loss. Then they buy the house back at auction and can sell it again. And all the while you still owe them the entire amount still. Thats just wrong. Everyone's protected but the buyer and honestly if the bank is made whole and your credit takes a hit...then why destroy the buyers life?

It's rigged in their favor because they own the government. If you want it rigged in your favor, buy yourself a Congressman or two.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Remember the golden rule...

...those with the gold rule.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Mortgage insurance does not cover all the banks cost to foreclose then try to sell a home. Yes they can write it off but if a bank makes a million in a year and loosed ten million in write offs they are still broke.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The bail out was needed because of fraud in the derivatives market, and a complete lack of regulation from the FDIC.
FDIC only creates moral hazard, thus assuring booms, busts, and bailouts. The moral hazard necessitates the regulations, but that's doomed to fail due to the captured regulator phenomenon.
I can agree with that to some degree.

Captured Regulation happens, and it happens all the time. But that doesn't mean that all regulation is a failure. In fact, for most companies they remain properly regulated and in most instances the regulations work.

The problem comes when the companies they are regulating are big enough to corrupt the system. Then the regulation doesn't happen specifically for those companies. In such instances, the regulators ought to be sitting in the cell with he CEO of the company whom they failed to regulate.

But Wall Street has garnered so much power that CEO's no longer go to jail, they just fine the company instead of hold someone accountable.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
well, since i am an exbanker, and put together real estate loans in the old days, i am familar on both sides with what happened.
the glass steigal act in the 30's separated the banking and the brokerage business. After many years and millions of dollars, your gooberment let them recombine the business. Thus banks could package loans and sell them with a security wrapper. Mistake no 1.
In the old days, you had to go through a underwriting process, 4to1 income to debt ratio, 20% down, credit, etc. Unless you could get a gooberment guarantee such as V.A., etc.
This later went to drive through underwriting without verification, and 100% financing, which meant the borrow had no skin in the game.
Then, with banking consolidations, the gooberment decided banks were being unfair in the ghetto, a practice called redlining, so you had to lend X amount of dollars to the people you really didn't want to lend X amount of dollars too, but if you didn't the mergers couldn't take place.
Then, the constant upward appreciation of property stopped, people living paycheck to paycheck out of work, so BOOM.
And, i have been seeing an add on T.V. lately advertising 100% financing or refinancing to veteran's. YOU think?
There were a few senators and top bankers that should have went to jail over this, but nada.
it will happen again.
oh, my the way, those derivities, which i bet one out of a 1000 on here understands, there is a board that determines when then are in default, staffed by the very same member banks that originated them.
Most banks in the country were probably B.K. in reality until a few years ago the government let them get away with valuing assets on which they had a lien at original value, not market value. If it had went to market value, as it use to be, they didn't have the set aside capitalization to cover those write downs.
And by the way, most banks DON"T hold their loans, that's what points are for. They are typically packaged for sale to a secondary lender like fannie mae, freddymac, etc.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The official report found that loans that were created under the law that made changes to the Community Reinvestment Act were like 12% of the bad loans. The problem it turns out wasn't government mandated loans, it was just really bad banking decisions.

Since investment banks were making so much money on derivatives tied to the US housing market, they were hungry for ANY loan they could get and re-package. So investment banks told mortgage lenders just get us the loans, we don't care if they're good or bad. That's because they were bribing the credit ratings companies to give them a AAA rating on everything.

So it wasn't government regulations (which were piss poor anyhow), it was greed and fraud that created those bad loans. And a little bit of government regulation...we don't want to let the politicians off he hook completely.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I can agree with that to some degree.

Captured Regulation happens, and it happens all the time. But that doesn't mean that all regulation is a failure. In fact, for most companies they remain properly regulated and in most instances the regulations work.

The problem comes when the companies they are regulating are big enough to corrupt the system. Then the regulation doesn't happen specifically for those companies. In such instances, the regulators ought to be sitting in the cell with he CEO of the company whom they failed to regulate.

But Wall Street has garnered so much power that CEO's no longer go to jail, they just fine the company instead of hold someone accountable.

Too big to jail.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Most don't understand that it wasn't the bad loans that created the meltdown, that was a precipitating event. Had it only been the bad loans, we would have made it through the crisis without a need for a bailout.

The bail out was needed because of fraud in the derivatives market, and a complete lack of regulation from the FDIC. THAT is what caused the collapse that required the bail out.

Not really. More the failings of the SEC, FNMA and the repeal of Glass-Steagall with the effect of the CRA thrown in for good measure.

The FDIC was way down the list of culpable entities. It had little to no authority over the underlying causes.

Without Golden West and Countrywide, the two biggest banks (BOA & First Union) would have weathered the storm without a bailout and Golden West and Countrywide were the poster children for why FNMA and the CRA were the real evils.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too big to jail.
Oh that was good, can I steal that one?

Last edited by GunGeek; 10/29/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Most don't understand that it wasn't the bad loans that created the meltdown, that was a precipitating event. Had it only been the bad loans, we would have made it through the crisis without a need for a bailout.

The bail out was needed because of fraud in the derivatives market, and a complete lack of regulation from the FDIC. THAT is what caused the collapse that required the bail out.

Not really. More the failings of the SEC, FNMA and the repeal of Glass-Steagall with the effect of the CRA thrown in for good measure.

The FDIC was way down the list of culpable entities. It had little to no authority over the underlying causes.

Without Golden West and Countrywide, the two biggest banks (BOA & First Union) would have weathered the storm without a bailout and Golden West and Countrywide were the poster children for why FNMA and the CRA were the real evils.

Specifically I was speaking about their knowing about and allowing investment banks to leverage 32:1. That was a failure to regulate.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Too big to jail.
Oh that was good, can I steal that one?
I've heard it from others, so it's not mine.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
scottf, you're right. but my point was, once the bank gets its money back either by re-selling or reimbursement, why make the borrower pay the rest of the mortgage on a nonexistent house.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What's baffling to me is that people actually buy houses with less than 20% down. Craziness.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
What's baffling to me is that people actually buy houses with less than 20% down. Craziness.
If it's an unsteady market, its a smart idea; you have little to no skin in the game. Now why a bank would lend to someone with no skin in the game is completely beyond me.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 4ager
The problems are multiple.

Mortgages used to be done on a local basis. The local bank would determine the credit-worthiness of the applicant and loan money for a local home purchase. The bank would hold that mortgage.

Now, it's a shell game. The local bank is simply a front for a national mortgage company and determines whether or not they will make the loan based upon whether they can then resell the mortgage to an investment company that will then bundle and trade that mortgage as security investment product, all which is then backed up by the federal government.

The only thing that has remained the same is that for a legitimate purchaser, they have to continue making loan payments no matter what happens to the note-holder. Even if the holder goes under and gets bailed out in full by the feds, the homeowner still makes payments on top of the tax dollars used to pay for the business failings of the lender.

Helluva racket, if you can get into it.

This is what it's all about. Well said.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think I would rather have my money in land if they devalued the dollar. Land has value, maybe not so much with a big fancy house on it but land itself has value.
It's a hard asset, so, like all hard assets, it has real value. But land can be taxed and regulated right out from under you, unlike portable hard assets.

Which portable hard assets are not taxable and unable to be regulated away?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Which portable hard assets are not taxable and unable to be regulated away?

I think what he is saying is that Land is taxable annually and thus can be foreclosed, should you stop paying taxes annually.

Some assets such as gold, stocks, bonds, guns, art, cars etc., are not necessarily taxed annually and thus have a lesser potential for government seizure.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 71 invisible), 3,501 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.