-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got a remington 700 short action that has been transformed into a custom rifle. Bolt has been helical fluted, shroud with j lock replaced, and badger knob installed. The issue with the bolt is not on lift but after full lifted it's hard to get it started rearward. I'm using hand loads for it that I have worked up and it did it at the bottom of the charge as much as it did at the top. No pressure signs on bolt lift or anywhere on the case. Never had another rifle do this. Not sure what is causing it but any help would be appreciated.

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Your 9mm should expand but my 45 wont shrink.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Timing...

The bolt is supposed to hit the ramp at the top of its travel and that helps bump the case backwards which is usually enough to unseat it and allow easy extraction.

Most likely, in your case, the bolt handle does not engage the ramp before the end of its rotational travel and therefore does not get that leverage.

Look at the tip of the bolt handle closest to the rear action ring and you will likely see it does not touch the ramp cut in the rear of the rear action ring.

Repair involves having the bolt handle removed and replaced in the correct place.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To add to Sitka,
Close the bolt on a round, fired is fine. Look at the space between the rear of the action under the scope and the flat part of the bolt handle nearest the action....how much space is there? If you have feeler gauges, or even paper, count up what it takes to fill the gap.....let us know.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry been on road all day but if it's where my thumb nail is its 13 pieces of paper [Linked Image]

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, the bolt handle is poorly timed. Too bad you already spent some money on the custom knob as now would be a great time to upgrade...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here is a video that does a reasonable job of showing you what it is but not much of a job of explaining the fix and reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szy4HBg3q80

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Sorry for the late reply - the video mentioned is mine. I made it to show customers what I was talking about when the timing was off. I generally finish the lesson in my shop on how to correct it.
Basically it involves removing the handle and locating it correctly for better extraction.

If you have more questions send me a PM.

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I knew i didnt have the time to have it timed and returned to me before the elk hunt so i took it with me along with a backup rifle. As my luck had it the very first morning of the hunt on the way to the field we was going to watch the horse stumbled into a tree and now its not only out of time but its also bent and unattached lol. Going to be 6-8 weeks if i send it back to smith that rebarreled it. Anybody doing it here and have an opening sooner than that. Please shoot me a pm if so.

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just got it back from deadeyedan and it looks great and works great. Now if i can get a whitetail to step out for a second or two grin

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice rifle. What are the specs? How are you liking that Nightforce so far?

thanks

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.