Print Thread
Hop To
340mag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

frustrated at not getting a razor sharp edge
[Linked Image]
about 6 years ago I was at bass pro shops and they had a sale on knives,so I picked up two non-serrated blade marine combat knives for future use , they are genuine K-bar not clones and if I remember correctly I paid about $70 each at the time, they got put away in my safe until about a week ago when I pulled one out and decided to sharpen it , now I can put a razor edge on almost every knife I own, and some of my san-mi cold steel knives can take an exceptional edge, but after 3 -4 hours of careful hone with a diamond hone the K-bar has an edge that I would call barely acceptable while even some of my gerbers, old timer and sharade knives, that cost far less have far better results in far less time?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
and the same sharpening process has consistently resulted
in excellent results on the other blades?
is it just that the steel is soft?
any suggestions?

Last edited by 340mag; 10/25/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is your edge worse,than out of the box ?

The grind is probably thick at or right behind the edge. Many times,this is the problem

340mag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VinceM
Is your edge worse,than out of the box ?

The grind is probably thick at or right behind the edge. Many times,this is the problem

no! its now better, than it was as it came out of the box/wrapper, but its still not up to the standards I can generally get on a good piece of steel to produce a true shaving sharp edge

Last edited by 340mag; 10/25/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That blade is ground thick so idiots won't chip it doing stupid SURVIVAL tests with it. It will need reprofiling before it will take a really good edge. That said, it should still get sharp enough to scrape hair. Try to get it sharp enough to catch on a fingernail with stones, then strop it away from the edge on brown box cardboard.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
With thick blades I either do a convex edge or make two angles on the edge so that when I work the final edge I'm not trying to take material off a very wide edge which takes forever and never really works.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
With thick blades I either do a convex edge or make two angles on the edge so that when I work the final edge I'm not trying to take material off a very wide edge which takes forever and never really works.r

Page down in this link to the edge picture
[img]http://www.tameshigiri.ca/2014/01/07/razor-edged-how-sharp-is-sharp/[/img]

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/25/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
more and more often these days, I opt for a convex edge. I am working on a D/P (Doug Dart) custom now. Never did like the edge profile, and it's going to be a convex now.

Sam......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I too like a convex edge. My favorite is a convex to a zero edge with no secondary angle.

When reprofiling an edge the convex is probably the easiest and fastest to do for me if working off a grinder. It's also the easiest to touch up sharpen. Most factory edges however are either flat ground with a secondary edge or hollow ground because they can be done on a machine. IMHO most factory edges are too thick because they have to be idiot proof. Otherwise everyone who wanted to baton with a small folder or cut wire would wound up trying to get the factory to replace an edge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soft steel and you have edge geometry working against you....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have seen knives marked K-bar that are knock offs with ???? steel, etc.
Hopefully yours is the real thing.
Geometry, heat treat and consistent angle during sharpening are important.
jmho
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 10/27/14.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Still, make sure you are raising a burr.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
add
Good point that I should have mentioned. Senior moment.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
luckily I have an older lo-ray power belt system to rebevel these knives bought with a pry bar edge. rebeveling that needs lots of material removed is a major task w/o power equipment.cranky72

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,750
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.