Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I've heard that chrome lined barrels are not as accurate as a non chrome lined one, is this true? I'm still up in the air on which barrel to buy and am now leaning towards a Rainier Arms barrel.

Also looking at the MI Gen 2 SS 12" handguard to it, anyone have one of these and if so, how do you like it?

Yes, the chrome lining addes eccentricities to the barrel. It may make it more durable, but it will limit the accuracy potential of the barrel.

If you want an accurate barrel, look at a tighter chamber such as the .223 Wylde, and move from a hammer forged to a button rifled barrel.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
ARIC

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I've heard that chrome lined barrels are not as accurate as a non chrome lined one, is this true? I'm still up in the air on which barrel to buy and am now leaning towards a Rainier Arms barrel.

Also looking at the MI Gen 2 SS 12" handguard to it, anyone have one of these and if so, how do you like it?

Yes, the chrome lining addes eccentricities to the barrel. It may make it more durable, but it will limit the accuracy potential of the barrel.

If you want an accurate barrel, look at a tighter chamber such as the .223 Wylde, and move from a hammer forged to a button rifled barrel.

I believe the Rainier barrels we are looking at are built like this. Thanks for the info.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the Rainier Arms barrel your looking at is Polygonal, it was spun up by Blackhole Weaponry and is a BHW barrel. Great barrels!

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whats your thoughts on a flash hider/comp/suppressor? Other than looking cool, I don't really see a need for any of them for what most of us do with these rifles.

This rifle will be used for target shooting and some predator hunting

I wouldn't worry about a flash hider, but it can't hurt to have the barrel threaded and just put a cap on it if you don't need the threads now.

For a muzzle brake, it'd depend on what kind of predator hunting you're wanting to do. If you get a brake don't ever, ever plan on shooting without hearing protection. That could be a hassle for some kind of hunting. But if you're wanting to watch your hits and misses through a scope, they'll definitely do the trick.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I installed a 16" Rainier Arms Select SS barrel on my Colt 6920. It's a mid length, 416 SS barrel chambered in 556 with 3R rifling. I'm extremely pleased with it. Excellent accuracy and easy to clean. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Specs on barrel.
Features:

Barrel Length: 16"
Gas Block Seat: .750
Rifling: Polygonal 3 Groove
Weight: 31 oz
Stainless Steel: 416R
Feed Ramps: M4
Gas System: Mid-length
Chamber: 5.56MM
Finish: Matte Stainless
Twist: 1�8
Thread Pitch: 1/2�28

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I understand that polygonal bores give better barrel life too.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I wouldn't call a wylde a tight chamber, but it is a good accurate reamer to use.

I agree wtih Blue.... threaded and capped, just in case.

Again barrel brands dont' much matter mostly... most any is going to be MOA with the right ammo in an AR for some reason...

Top accuracy, get a known name, Bartlein, Krieger, Rock etc....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC

Where do you get this info from? I can't find anything to back it up. Most everyone I have asked (gunsmiths and metallurgist) is saying rifling method has little to nothing to do with barrel life. Any method that work hardens steel is heat treated anyway. The type of barrel steel, cleaning methods, and rate of fire seem to be what plays the biggest role in barrel life.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Depth of rifling, sharpness of lands and grooves, all wear differently. Even opposing pressures IE odds vs evens, can affect barrel life.

Rate of fire can afffect it but from what I"ve seen from lots of slow and medium fire vs uppers that were rapid fire, IE shot every second give or take, there was negligable life difference.

RE rifling, a single point cut tube will generally, on an AR in 223, outlast a buttoned tube by about 1500 plus rounds of difference.

of coruse I"m no scientist at all, just observations from what has to be almost a million rounds downrange knowledge from the AR

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I either shoot them myself or I ask people who do shoot them.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen both sides with different opinions. Some say cut lasts longer, some button. Most say there isn't going to be a definite answer between the two. I'm still open to explanations though.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I got this info on polygonal rifling online, so take it FWIW.

Here are some advantages (in theory) for polygonal rifling taken off the web.

"The 3 groove polygonal barrels have been used for a long time by companies like PAC-NOR.

A number of advantages are claimed by the supporters of polygonal rifling. These include:

* Not compromising the barrel's thickness in the area of each groove as with traditional rifling.
* Providing a better gas seal around the projectile as polygonal bores tend to have a slightly smaller bore area, which translates into more efficient use of the combustion gases trapped behind the bullet,slightly greater (consistency in) muzzle velocities and slightly increased accuracy.
* Less bullet deformation, resulting in reduced drag on the bullet when traveling through the barrel which helps to increase muzzle velocity.
* Reduced buildup of copper or lead within the barrel which results in easier maintenance characteristics.
* Prolonged barrel life."

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone have any experience with Sionics barrels?

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/product.php?id_product=66

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Less pressure from lower bullet engraving area. Less overall barrel pressures seem to increase the polygonal barrel life. They also tend to be faster. I am referring to true polygonal rifling like BHW uses not the basterdized rounded edge barrels that claim they are polygonal.

Cleaning is also easier and based on the thousands of rounds I've put through BHW barrels there is no question in my mind that fouling is less with them.

Greg

GLShooter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GLShooter

Less pressure from lower bullet engraving area. Less overall barrel pressures seem to increase the polygonal barrel life. They also tend to be faster. I am referring to true polygonal rifling like BHW uses not the basterdized rounded edge barrels that claim they are polygonal.

Cleaning is also easier and based on the thousands of rounds I've put through BHW barrels there is no question in my mind that fouling is less with them.

Greg

Same basic principles apply when you use a minimal twist.

Less stress on the bullet, less spin drift, and less interaction between the bullet spin and the wind.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So a smart man would combine them all then....LOL

Greg

Last edited by GLShooter; 11/10/14.

GLShooter
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Or just shoot bullets that use a faster twist and the polygonal rifling to reap the benefits of a good bullet. wink

I'm not smart enough to know why it works but I am capable to know it does. As for longer life and less cleaning, good barrels are good barrels and most of the hype is just that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TWR
Or just shoot bullets that use a faster twist and the polygonal rifling to reap the benefits of a good bullet. wink

I'm not smart enough to know why it works but I am capable to know it does. As for longer life and less cleaning, good barrels are good barrels and most of the hype is just that.

I'm like you in that I know they work. Cleaning is a snap and the tiny groups speak volumes. I have seventeen uppers with BHW barrels in eleven chamberings and two more coming. The BHW Savage barrels maybe even shoot better and I only have five of those with three on order.

Greg

GLShooter
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
248 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.