Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have not been shooting my center fire rifles much with the ammo shortage issues, etc. I hand load and used to take them out to do bench shooting and hunting more than I have been. I keep them in hard cases, in a cool dry part of my house.

I live in Central Texas and it is dryer than my time in Western Oregon or Minnesota. How often should I take them out to oil the inside of the barrel?

BP-B6

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I try to check mine every 6 months or so.....but I live in Fla where it is much more humid....you might get by with a year between inspections....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grew up in Central Texas. We always kept the outside covered in a very light coat of oil. At the end of the hunting season, we cleaned everything we'd used that year and left a light coat inside. Like Afterum said, about every 6 months or so, we'd go back and run a patch through the barrel then re-apply a light coat. Seems to keep things in good working order.

You should remember to run a patch through them prior to shooting them the next time just to remove any oil/debris/dust the oil might have picked up in the interim.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Step into the 21st century and give up the petroleum distillates; Eezox will serve you well.

I clean my firearms after hunting season, apply Eezox to the bores and forget about them. Eezox doesn't attract dust and it doesn't run back into the action when the firearms are stored vertically.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I haven't put anything but bullets through the bores of my rifles in the past 2 years.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If I'm storing mine for an extended time (until next season basically) I'll clean down to bare metal & oil the bore. When it's time to shoot them I'll run an oiled patch through them followed by a couple of dry patches so I'm shooting with a very, very light coat of oil in the bore. After that I don't clean the bore again until I put them up for next year, or after about 50 rounds if it's one I shoot a lot.

I live in the most humid place on earth and haven't had any trouble with fouled bores rusting. Smokeless powder residue doesn't absorb water like black powder residue. It seems to have protective qualities by itself. I'll caveat that with most of my barrels are stainless.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I haven't put anything but bullets through the bores of my rifles in the past 2 years.

This one.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I live in CO where it is reasonably dry. After hunting season, I clean the rifles, oil with Mobile Synthetic 0 to-30 inside and out and put them in a safe, muzzle down until next summer. If you are storing them in foam lined hard cases, I'd check them periodically. That foam can cause some grief if it accumulates humidity.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of humidity here so if they're not going to be used for a long time I run a patch wet with Birchwood-Casey Sheath down the bore.

A couple of dry patches down the bore before use.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oil is a lubricant...(not a rust preventative)

If you don't believe me put some on a piece of bare metal and leave out in the rain for a day and see what happens.

You'll likely not find anything better than WD-40 for rust protection and it is recommended by the manufacturer for firearms.

Note...it is only for the metal, do not put it on your nice wood finish!

Oil is for the bolt lugs and mechanical moving parts. I put a very small amount on the lugs and run everything else dry and clean.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 10/30/14.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shodd,

Make sure you don't get an accumulation of WD-40 inside your bolt and any enclosed trigger assemblies. They won't rust, but they will get gummed up.

The best solvent for gummed WD-40 is fresh WD-40, then remove that with Quick-Scrub or brake cleaner and then use a synthetic product intended for guns.

If you doubt this, partially fill a beer cap with WD-40 and leave it on a shelf or windowsill for several weeks or months and see what you wind up with.

You can use the search feature to see what people have said about WD-40 over the years. You will also read about the fellow that got WD-40 on his scope lens and it ruined his lens seals.

WD-40 is good for many things, for guns not so much, in spite of what the can says. A can of WD-40 and a Bic lighter does make an impressive zombie repellent.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nifty,

Thank you for the additional info as some of what you've mentioned I did not know.

The only place on a rifle I use wd-40 is in the bore, barrel or outside metal work. I am also very careful to not get it on any other parts of my rifle.

For any mechanical parts such as trigger,bolt,etc some form of lubricant designed for firearms should be used.

I do remember reading about a number of people who have had some negative results. What I also know is that a lot of folks can tend to misuse a product....or basically operator error. I'm quite sure along with the cautions there have also been many successful users of the product when used with prudence.

As you've pointed out however there is a caution and I didn't make that entirely clear.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 10/30/14.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
After shooting, target or deer, I patch and nylon brush the bore with BoreTech Eliminator, patch the barrel dry and apply Frog Lube paste to the bore and exposed metalwork. Three or four dry patches through the bore before shooting.

I periodically clean the locking lugs and lug recesses and apply a thin coat of Gold Lube to the rear of the lugs and a thin coat of Frog Lube to the bolt.

Also check the scope optics and my binos for any dust etc. Blow it off and carefully clean the lenses with a lens pen or clean lens cloth.

Clean and resharpen my knife if it has been used.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'm with him.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Oil is lighter than water. Sure, the raindrops pelting oil will dislodge it and get underneath. In a HVAC equipped house, a light coat of oil will keep the goblins away.

I usually store mine in a safe with a heat rod to control the humidity. they get a silicone wipe down out and a light oil wipe in the bore. A couple of patches wet with carburetor or brake cleaner followed by a couple of dry patches usually results in the first shot printing right where it left off last time.

jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

^^^^this^^^^

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

That's the way I run too

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always tried to put the rifles away, if I'm not going to use them anytime soon, with a clean bore and a light coat of Shooter's Choice. Never have had any sort of problem in doing that. But on the other hand, maybe an oiled bore (or whatever you use) isn't that necessary. When my Dad passed on, I got his old Ruger Ultralight 270. I know for a fact that the bore had not been cleaned more than every couple of years, because I did the only cleanings done on it. Dad hunted in eastern Louisiana and hunted on rainy days and dry days and whatever days came around. He rarely even wiped down the outside of the metal unless it was dripping water. When I got the rifle, the bore was dirty but not pitted, and shot like a champion. So after maybe 25 years of abuse, the bore was not damaged. The stock is pretty worn and a lot of bluing is worn off, but it really shoots great.

But...I'll still keep doing what I do.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
During hunting season I don't ever lube the bore and only a light wipe of oil on the outside surfaces. During long term storage I use brownells cosmoline.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
on a CM barrel, I clean and finish with a light oil when done for the season....on SS, I do nothing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
825 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 86 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.