-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just bought a Ruger M77 MKII 270Win, with a Zytel Stock. As you know, this rifle has a stainless barrel and action.

There are a few rust freckles on the barrel and I was wondering if I could remove them with steel wool without leaving a "ghost ring" like it does on a blued rifle; if not, what is the best method for removal?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When I visited the Ruger factory in Newport, New Hampshire years ago I watched intently as a repairman used a maroon Scotch Brite pad to remove scratches from a stainless Model 77 barrel. He then blended in the finish to match the rest of the gun. It looked pretty close to me... It should work on rust freckles too. Mel Chung

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
0000 steel wool dry, no oil, should do the trick. You can also bead blast all the metal to look brand new.

Last edited by CAFR; 10/25/14.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
soft cloth and flitz polish works well in many rust situations. works with 0000 steel wool also but on a blued rifle this combo will remove blueing.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ned
soft cloth and flitz polish works well in many rust situations. works with 0000 steel wool also but on a blued rifle this combo will remove blueing.
I have removed quite a bit of rust freckling from blued firearms over the years with 0000 steel wool and Rem Oil without noticeably harming the blueing. My kids and grandkids live on the coastal plain of south Texas (a very humid climate) and most of them have had at least one experience with light rust forming on firearms that were improperly stored, or rode hard and put up wet. Fortunately, (unlike me) they are good at single trial learning.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have heard that you should avoid steel wool on stainless finishes. The argument goes that the steel wool leaves a tiny amount of steel behind and that is more susceptible to rust than the stainless.

As for me I have used an oiled scotchbrite pad with success.

If the rifle rusted I would give a good look at the non-stainless parts like the mag box, while you have it out.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to try the Scotch Brite pads, simply because I've never tried this method before.

Thanks for all the input.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by melchung
When I visited the Ruger factory in Newport, New Hampshire years ago I watched intently as a repairman used a maroon Scotch Brite pad to remove scratches from a stainless Model 77 barrel. He then blended in the finish to match the rest of the gun. It looked pretty close to me... It should work on rust freckles too. Mel Chung

Scoth Brite does a downright decent job, more often than not it's just right. If it's not perfect, then start with 400 grit sandpaper and go up until your "polishing" matches the polishing of the rest of the gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scotchbrite leaves a very nice finish but you have to do the whole thing to have it blend in.

There is an easier alternative.

I used to have a bead blasted stainless .410 Snakecharmer that I used to shoot halibut. It was subjected to saltwater and frequently it would get rust spots. What I used to remove the rust was CLR or Limeaway. Just wipe it on, wipe it off, and rinse with water. It removes the rust and it's mild enough to not etch the stainless or alter the finish.

I cleaned the rust off it many times using this method and it would always look as good as new.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate the advice on the CLR and Limeaway.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 264mag, 29 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.