Print Thread
Hop To
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm looking to get a wall tent and it will probably be a Davis. How big do I need? I know...as big as I can afford but realistically, what do I need.

There will be at a minimum of two adults and two kids, but there will probably be 3 adults and 3 kids.

We will probably have some sort of "cook tent" to keep the space.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2x bigger than you think.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Past or future tents?

I'm no grammarian so I hope someone can help.

Me

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have a 14'x17' with 5' walls and it is none to big. With 6 people sleeping on cots, a wood stove and gear it get crowded.

Remember a stove takes up 6'x6' minimum with the clearances required for safety and that must be taken into account.

Purchase as big as you can carry, transport and/or erect.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 14x16 with 5' walls Davis wall tent and find it very comfortable and spacious for two people on a hunting trip. I have a small wood stove inside and set up a folding table to hold a bit of gear and supplies.
I would think that I could easily get three adults in it (but no more) and have plenty of moving about room (getting dressed and such)

For 4 to six folks I would definitely go larger... it isn't much fun to be crowded and taking turns moving around isn't an option in my mind.

Think about the size of a cot for each person and then the gear and clothing for each person. Sure, a fella can store clothing and belongings under their cot but when its time to get up or do something there must be room enough to have the gear out and taking up space. A table inside is really nice as are a few chairs (it rains outside sometimes). The stove takes up a fair amount of space too.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a 14 x 16 with 5 foot walls and a 10 x 12 cook tent to keep the cooking out of the main tent. It is comfortable for 2-4 adults and cots, with a fold up table in the middle for BS'ing and playing cards in the evening, along with the wood stove in the corner. 5 have fit in a pinch but it is getting crowded. For 6 all in the same tent you would need a 16 x 20 and a cook tent about the size of ours. Good cots, a corner located wood stove, and good organization helps to make the most of the square footage with that many people.
For our cook tent, we got the biggest camp kitchen set up Cabela's sells and it works great for us. 2 stoves set up so we can cook different things on each stove and not be stepping all over each other and a prep table is perfect. Also comes with canvas "cabinets" under the camp kitchen for storing goods and a shelf for pots and pans. A couple small fold up or roll up tables for cleaning dishes and post and pans and the rest of the floor space along the walls for storing coolers, water, etc.. and you've got a comfy camp.

Check out the walltentshop.com for tents. We got ours there along with several people we know and we've been very happy with the quality of the tent and the service. Best prices I've seen anywhere. We got the Wilderness tents and they have been a terrific set up for us.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've got a 14x17 Montana Canvas and I think 4 people with cots and gear is too much.

Agree, he needs a 16x20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
We have a 14 x 16 with 5 foot walls and a 10 x 12 cook tent to keep the cooking out of the main tent. It is comfortable for 2-4 adults and cots, with a fold up table in the middle for BS'ing and playing cards in the evening, along with the wood stove in the corner. 5 have fit in a pinch but it is getting crowded. For 6 all in the same tent you would need a 16 x 20 and a cook tent about the size of ours. Good cots, a corner located wood stove, and good organization helps to make the most of the square footage with that many people.

For our cook tent, we got the biggest camp kitchen set up Cabela's sells and it works great for us. 2 stoves set up so we can cook different things on each stove and not be stepping all over each other and a prep table is perfect. Also comes with canvas "cabinets" under the camp kitchen for storing goods and a shelf for pots and pans. A couple small fold up or roll up tables for cleaning dishes and post and pans and the rest of the floor space along the walls for storing coolers, water, etc.. and you've gota comfy camp. ...

For many years I had virtually the same outfit as Sheister, other than my tents were Colorado Tent Company tents.

I agree with what Sheister said, and other who said that for the number of people you want to house in camp, the larger tents will work best. But you'll be much better off with the sleeping tent and cook tent separated. Cooking for that many people requires plenty of equipment, space, chairs and a couple of folding tables.

Just my suggestion based on my experiences in many elk/deer camps.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sheister
For our cook tent, we got the biggest camp kitchen set up Cabela's sells and it works great for us. 2 stoves set up so we can cook different things on each stove and not be stepping all over each other and a prep table is perfect. Also comes with canvas "cabinets" under the camp kitchen for storing goods and a shelf for pots and pans. A couple small fold up or roll up tables for cleaning dishes and post and pans and the rest of the floor space along the walls for storing coolers, water, etc.. and you've got a comfy camp.

Check out the walltentshop.com for tents. We got ours there along with several people we know and we've been very happy with the quality of the tent and the service. Best prices I've seen anywhere. We got the Wilderness tents and they have been a terrific set up for us.

Bob

The two tent setup is the way to go. One for cooking and eating, the other for sleeping.

Not having to continually move stuff around saves a lot of churn on a trip.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Do you guys use awnings or just make your own with tarps and such?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can get an awning as part of the tent for reasonable money, I would get it. I sometimes wish I had gotten the vestibule awning for out tent, but just didn't think about it when other things about the tent order were going through my mind at the moment.

In the end, if the weather is good, we usually sit around the campfire in the evenings. If the weather is bad, we are usually inside the tent at the table BS'ing, having dinner, looking at maps, or playing cards.

One other thing we finally got that makes camp much more comfortable- a toilet/privacy tent. For about $40 you can find them at many stores and online. A small tent like a shower tent with no floor that covers your out door toilet and keeps you dry in case it rains/snows during your business. Wanted one for years and finally got one this year and it is a great comfort going out in the middle of the day/night and knowing you won't be soaked when you get back to the tent. Especially since going in the middle of the night usually means going out in your undies and boots and not much else.....

Bob

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
At Elk camp they put two hunters and a stove in a 10x12 tent and it works out just about right. There are 4 people in the 12x16 guides tent and it's pretty tight. The cook tent is 20x24 and it's great for hanging out and preparing meals etc..

[Linked Image]

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eh76
2x bigger than you think.

Plus 2 feet on each side.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One other thing to consider when buying a tent- a frame. If you can swing the expense, definitely get the frame corners and make a frame for your tent. You will be amazed how much faster and easier your tent goes up once you have a frame for it. It will also stay tighter and handle wind better. Also, the frame gives you a great place to hang clothes hangers and other gear for convenience and extra room on the floor.

Bob

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tzone

Swing by deer camp and see my set up and how it works.

[Linked Image]

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Your camp haunts my dreams! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Set up and take down enough tent camps, and you will be looking for an RV grin

I loved the set up days with my friends and the character and romance of wall tent base camp hunting, years ago. All day and then some with firewood cutting sometimes. Now, if I cannot get there with my 5th wheel, I don't want to go anymore crazy

EDITED: Unless I can ride a gentle horse or my ATV to a tent camp that a paid outfitter has all set up and ready.....

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Above mostly tongue in cheek. I LOVED and cherise the memories and fun of my do it yourself tent camps of years ago.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And here I thought an 8x8 dome was spacious with its two big vestibules but then we never played cards.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

171 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 360bull, 29 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,464
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.