Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Im a 100% muzzleloading newbie, i do like the idea of long range accuracy with a muzzleloader. on my wisconsin farm i frequently see some absolute slammers during the muzzleloader season out in my foodplots. To reach them in these deer id need a muzzleloader capable of a 250 yard shot. Are there any other muzzle loaders that are capable of this kind of accuracy? What do you guys think of the price, i see i can get a kit for 1299 shipped that included a leupold scope with graduated drop compensating. Im particularly interested in the primer system them use, looks like a 44 mag case with a large rifle primer in it.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
no one familiar with these? Remington is touting 300+yard capability out of them with 200gr of pyrodex pellets

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
have fun holding onto it with 200gr of powder. Should leave a nice kiss mark across shooters faces when they shoulder it quickly for a fast take aim and fire, shot.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm sure the Remington is up to it but a lot of muzzleloaders are capable of making a 250 yd kill, and with less than 200 grains of powder. However all of them, including the Remington, require load development (the right bullet/powder combo) and much practice to be consistent at that range. Personally I'd concentrate on the hunting aspect & try to get a closer shot....part of the reason for the season.

JMO YMMV

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There are better options. Why does anyone need a "bolt action" on a muzzleloader? What purpose does it serve? On second thought, shooting a 200 grain load, you'll probably need all the extra metal in there you can get......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have not looked into the new Rem ML a ton, but I do know that you can get accurately out to 300 yards in a few different ways, many of them more affordable and easier on the shoulder.

I got interested in the "long range" muzzleloading about 7 or 8 years ago. At that time it meant dropping my irons for a scope, finding the most aerodynamic bullet I could and shooting it a lot to get consistent drops. Since then I have gotten more intentional using scopes with dials, BH209 or smokeless (where applicable) and better bullet selection and even more practice. I don't believe I ever used more than two powder pellets or 105gr or so of BH209 in this pursuit.

Here is a doe taken 4 or 5 seasons ago with your average Encore ML with two pellets, simple scope and 250gr SST @ 246 yards.
[Linked Image]

Or, more recently, a smokeless conversion Encore, with CDS scope and confirmed drops. Felt good out to 300 or so (with good rest and conditions).
[Linked Image]

While the Rem is flashy, I would rather shoot more with less powder and in a rifle that was not quite as pricey.
Just as with CF rifles - practice and placement are key once you get out to "long range" with there muzzleloaders.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Before paying that much for the new Remington, look at a smokeless muzzleloader. The amount of crud from four pellets has to be a real mess, not to mention the recoil. I have several friends who have Savage smokeless muzzleloaders in one form or another and several others have Remington first generation muzzleloaders that have been converted to .45 caliber smokeless. A friend of mine does several conversions per year as a sideline.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
$1300 can build you a 45cal smokeless that will send a 275gr bullet down range at over 2500fps with ease and there is no need for a sabot.

Why would you want a form 4473 smoker for that price when you can build one that can use a huge variety of powders AND has a match grade custom barrel?

Pacnor, Brux or McGowen barrels will typically shoot circles around a factory Rem barrel.

If you already have a Rem700 CF, Stevens 200 or a Savage 11 SA the cost is little more than the barrel and bolt head. You could even convert one to a Krieger barrel with a LRMP module ignition for about that price at Hankins rifle. It even retains the factory bolt head if its based on the 308Win case.

How does a 275gr bullet at 3000fps sound vs that pellet burner?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is that last sentence a typo??

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'd prefer a .270/.308, and save my shoulder.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Nope, a Hankins with Rem 700 CF action and Krieger 45cal barrel will shoot a Parker 275gr bullet at 3000fps with 78gr of 4198. He uses his own LRMP module and breach plug design.

http://www.hankinscustomrifles.com/rifles.html

With a muzzle velocity of over 3000 feet per second and a whopping 5000 foot pounds of energy.

He no longer uses a Knight breach plug and nipple. Its a custom breach plug with a tungsten bushing. They last for many hundreds of shots before the bushing wears out. I know of one with over 400 rounds though it and its still within spec.

Cool video, notice how easy they load http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ksRm9DLXKM

Last edited by Overkill45; 10/31/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Im a 100% muzzleloading newbie, i do like the idea of long range accuracy with a muzzleloader. on my wisconsin farm i frequently see some absolute slammers during the muzzleloader season out in my foodplots. To reach them in these deer id need a muzzleloader capable of a 250 yard shot. Are there any other muzzle loaders that are capable of this kind of accuracy? What do you guys think of the price, i see i can get a kit for 1299 shipped that included a leupold scope with graduated drop compensating. Im particularly interested in the primer system them use, looks like a 44 mag case with a large rifle primer in it.

I have been shooting the original Ultimate Muzzleloader for years and just set up a Remington for a friend last week.

Let's look at price. My friend paid about $800. Check Gunbroker.

We have only shot the new Remington out to 100 yds using 4 50gr Pyrodex pellets and a 250gr Horn SST (use the black high pressure sabots). Groups are running a little over 1".

The priming system is what really makes this work. I use Fed 215 Match primers. I believe this is what makes clean up so easy. Everything gets burned. No need to pull a breech plug. Just a couple of damp patches with Butch's Bore Shine for ML and you are done.

I have read some posts speculating about the use of loose powder vs pellets in the UML. When I first got mine I chronographed 4- 50gr 777 pellets vs 200gr (by volume)777 loose powder. The pellets were yielding a little under 2300fps with a 300 gr SST, the loose powder 1800fps. I suspect the difference is caused by the pellets having the hole for the flash to travel through, thus igniting the full powder column nearly at once vs the long column of loose powder being ignited from the bottom.

Regarding the long range accuracy, last weekend checked my zero for the upcoming season. I put 2 shots 2" apart at 300 yds. Close enough.

I like my original UML and I believe the Remington will work out well. Easy and effective priming system, very easy to clean, accurate and dependable.

405wcf

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Very strange, my Knights got at least 1800fps with just 110gr of Triple7 loose.

It appears the data is flawed.

The Ultimate is not even made to handle BH209 powder. Ask the owner of Ultimate Firearms. No way in hell i would pay that kind of money for a rifle that will flame cut its plug just from using BH209.

I can have one built for less that will shoot pellets and a huge variety of powders with LRMPs. Ill take a Krieger or Brux barrel over a Lothar Walther anyday.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Overkill45
$1300 can build you a 45cal smokeless that will send a 275gr bullet down range at over 2500fps with ease and there is no need for a sabot.

Why would you want a form 4473 smoker for that price when you can build one that can use a huge variety of powders AND has a match grade custom barrel?

Pacnor, Brux or McGowen barrels will typically shoot circles around a factory Rem barrel.

If you already have a Rem700 CF, Stevens 200 or a Savage 11 SA the cost is little more than the barrel and bolt head. You could even convert one to a Krieger barrel with a LRMP module ignition for about that price at Hankins rifle. It even retains the factory bolt head if its based on the 308Win case.

How does a 275gr bullet at 3000fps sound vs that pellet burner?

Or you can buy a new in box smokeless already built by Savage for $1379.00...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail.cfm?gun_id=100479569&pop_up=1

Savage99F358

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I paid less than that for all of mine including my Savage 45cal with a Pacnor 45 barrel. Not one Savage MLII even cost me over $600.

What they are asking does not mean that is what they will get. There are several on Dougs board already to go with lots of addons.

You can almost buy a NULA M209 for that and save about 4lbs in weight.

Last edited by Overkill45; 11/01/14.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Overkill45

Nope, a Hankins with Rem 700 CF action and Krieger 45cal barrel will shoot a Parker 275gr bullet at 3000fps with 78gr of 4198. He uses his own LRMP module and breach plug design.

All I can say to that is "Holy Mackeral Andy....."

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I havent gone over 70gr of H4198 in mine simply because it wackems just fine and im not a huge fan of anymore recoil. I dont have a muzzle brake on mine either.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
An ML with a muzzle brake?? Dayum.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yeah, quite a few guys get them and it does tame the recoil. I shoot both sabots and sabotless though and to me, its a little bit easier to load without a brake. Sure they can be removed and replaced with a collar but its obnoxiously loud with them installed. Its just not worth the extra cost to me.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
How much does a Hankin muzzleloader cost??? I have an Encore I am happy enough with but smokeless has always interesred me.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

630 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 67 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,917
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.