-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good point Fred, and extra depth of field decreases the chances for eye fatigue/headaches if you spend a lot of time on the glass.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Image shake and depth of field is why my 6x36's are my current favorite. Leaning heavily towards buying a new pair of 8x42's...

I appreciate everyone's input!

David

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
I use both 8x42 and 10x42 premium binoculars. My 10x is my major use binocular but I like to run a 8x when hunting the timber and less open country. Advantages of the 8x are a larger FOV, brighter and easier to look through and hold steady than a 10x. I will not drop down to a 8x32 class because of loss of brightness in low light.

Most will agree that a 10x42 is better in open country and that is true. The 10x50 class is even better in all aspects but I can't afford the extra weight /bulk when I am also carrying a spotter, tripod and rangefinder.

There is another area the 10x42 had an advantage over the 8x42 and you seldom see it mentioned. The extra resolution of the 10x over the 8x in low light gives the 10x advantages when trying to identify the quality (antlers) of game animals. I learned this the hard way while running a premium 8x42 against my friends premium 10x42 on a trophy deer hunt. This advantage is expressed in the twilight factor. The 8x is brighter but has less resolution / lower twilight factor than the 10x42.

The 10x is also excellent on a tripod for mid range glassing.

For the reasons stated above my 10x is usually my choice for most hunts.

This

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
10x42 and a tripod would be my advice

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've boiled my optics down to two three which suit how I hunt regardless of game and terrain. I'm not dogmatic in saying it's THE way but for me it works out well.

I carry a lightweight, compact Leica 8x32 Ultravid for general hunting use where animals don't necessarily have to be sized up or judged. If, as on a trophy mule deer hunt, most of the hunting will be looking or glassing canyons, I use a Leica 15x56 Geovid on a tripod which is so much easier on the eyes than any spotter can ever be.

I do have a Zeiss spotter, a 15-45 x 65, a relatively compact piece that is mostly used for determining if that reddish spot three quarters a mile away is a fox or a bunch of balled up corn leaves.

I have given up the heavier, bulkier 10x bino's for general hunting purposes.

IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Image shake and depth of field is why my 6x36's are my current favorite. Leaning heavily towards buying a new pair of 8x42's...

I appreciate everyone's input!

David

I just got a pair of 8x42mm Vortex Talon HDs from Cameraland's sale. AMAZING. I am admittedly ignorant on optics, but ignorance truly is bliss and after the 8x40mm porros I had previous to these I am blown away.

I like others have a compact spotter (Leupold 15-30x) I keep close by for evaluating game spotted through the 8Xs & it's worked well for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In the country I hunt to get the really big bucks a lot of glassing is required. Sometimes I'll spend an entire morning in basically the same spot. My m.o. is to locate animals with my 10x40's then if he/it requires a closer look out comes the spotting scope. If he's worth going after I'll "stay on him" as long as possible. All the while working out in my head how I might approach him. If he beds downs early and I can see where he is I might go after him then. Otherwise, I'll be in on him at shooting light the next day. For me then, a good glass is extremely important. I like 10x40 or 12x40's and a high quality spotter. The 10x glass will often give me a good enough look so I won"t go to the effort of setting up the spotter. I often hunt elk in the timber so I find a smaller lighter glass best for that purpose. It's hard to under state how important good optics are in MY style of hunting. BTW I feel that a high quality spotter is wasted on a flimsy tripod.

Last edited by super T; 11/01/14.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I appreciate all of the comments so far.

In general, I'm more inclined to lower power optics. Question is mainly, am I handicapping myself by using an 8x? Based on the responses so far, it would appear the answer is no.

David

In order of most use:
Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26 (Sometimes I get back to camp and forget they're still around my neck--they are that light and compact--and yes they work very well)
Swaro 7x30B SLC
Swaro 8x30WB SLC

Yeah, they don't fit the Campfire blueprint, but they work for me.........

The next time I draw a sheep tag I'll probably be looking at a pair of 10x42's though.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'd go 8x. My opinion is this: with 8x or even 7x I can see anything I need to "locate."

In other words, once I've spotted a buck, I've rarely even needed binos to decide if he was big enough or not. The big ones, are. Even with the naked eye.

Exactly.

Same thing with a big bull--if they're big a guy knows it!

Sheep and pronghorns can be a bit more difficult though.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
First western hunt ever in a week! Antelope. Bringing my 8x32 Swaro ELs and new Swaro 65mm ATS spotter. Went back and forth between 8x32 8x42 10x42. Size ultimately won.

Maybe I'm shakier than most but it seemed to me that smaller size, light but excellent glass work best for me when I tested out.

Will report back on whether I'm going to switch to 10x42 in the future.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by canoetrpr
Maybe I'm shakier than most

Shooting sticks are the friend of shaky folk. whether as a rifle rest or for glassing....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Evidently many Campfire members fit into the older (and shaky) demographic that supposedly includes most hunters these days.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Shooting sticks are the friend of shaky folk. whether as a rifle rest or for glassing....

Maybe I just need to practice glassing more. I've seen a lot of improvement in my shooting from field positions, including off-hand over the last year or so. I brought a cheap pair of 10x40's to the range while I was shooting and found them difficult to use w/o a rest of some sort.

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Evidently many Campfire members fit into the older (and shaky) demographic that supposedly includes most hunters these days.

Crap, I'm only 46!

Starting to be able to hit a 8x10" steel plate off hand at 300yds, but still find the 10x bino's difficult.

David

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Thattsa why I never leave home with a set of sticks. It is almost like cheating......

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Maybe I just need to practice glassing more. I've seen a lot of improvement in my shooting from field positions, including off-hand over the last year or so. I brought a cheap pair of 10x40's to the range while I was shooting and found them difficult to use w/o a rest of some sort.

David

I cannot underestimate the need of a tripod when western hunting. If you are exclusively hunting in thick, dark timber forests or something where tripods are useless, you will need a tripod for the usual western mule deer hunting. Been all over the west, been hunting for over 35 years out here, and I am telling you you will need it if you want to be effective. Sure, you can by chance encounter a mule deer buck while driving or walking or something and the use of optics wasn't necessary, but to get a quality buck, you are gonna have to see him before he sees you. That means using optics. That means spending hours with optics on the side of some hill. That means you cannot hand hold optics for hours. And do it for days. And don't forget, often, the distances can be well over a mile. I have hunted with guys who didn't use optics and tripods, and, well, let's just say the people who use them tend to be more successful.

My advice is 10x42 and a tripod. And bring a spotting scope if you can.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Crap, I'm only 46!

Starting to be able to hit a 8x10" steel plate off hand at 300yds, but still find the 10x bino's difficult.

David

Wow! Is your name Quigley?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dude... I can do that on a 12 inch plate with regularity and Im 62....

The 8 inch plate...not quite so regular...but often enough!

Last edited by ingwe; 11/02/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Crap, I'm only 46!

David

Wow! Is your name Quigley?

I hope you kill something soon because you are really starting to act like a prick. Maybe if you spent more time shooting and less time running your mouth you would understand. Being able to accurately hit kill zones to 500 from field positions and even 300 from off hand is something most anybody can do if they want to put the time and effort into it. It's similar to juggling - most people try 3 or 4 times then get tired of picking up the balls and quit.

Looking forward to your next post where you come up with some ridiculous challenge that's orders of magnitude more difficult than what I said I'm beginning to be able to do and then crow about how much more you know about it than I do.

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by flagstaff

David

I cannot underestimate the need of a tripod when western hunting. If you are exclusively hunting in thick, dark timber forests or something where tripods are useless, you will need a tripod for the usual western mule deer hunting. Been all over the west, been hunting for over 35 years out here, and I am telling you you will need it if you want to be effective. Sure, you can by chance encounter a mule deer buck while driving or walking or something and the use of optics wasn't necessary, but to get a quality buck, you are gonna have to see him before he sees you. That means using optics. That means spending hours with optics on the side of some hill. That means you cannot hand hold optics for hours. And do it for days. And don't forget, often, the distances can be well over a mile. I have hunted with guys who didn't use optics and tripods, and, well, let's just say the people who use them tend to be more successful.

My advice is 10x42 and a tripod. And bring a spotting scope if you can.

Flagstaff,

Comments much appreciated. I understand the need for a spotter and a tripod. I can certainly see the effectiveness of 10x on a tripod. some of the comments from Mule Deer and others lead me to believe that they are effectively using 10x bino's unsupported off-hand to effectively see things that can't be adequately resolved with lower magnification bino's. Right now, trying the limited bino's that I have in the field, I can't hold 10x steady enough to do that.

David

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 3,015 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.