Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Evidently many Campfire members fit into the older (and shaky) demographic that supposedly includes most hunters these days.

Damn. I'm a member of that demographic. cry

[Linked Image]

If I use a stick, when I close my eyes and jerk the trigger, I don't miss near as much. grin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 8x30 and 10x42 premium glass......
If I was going to put on lots of miles and just wanted a "rack"......8's would do.
If I was going looking for only a big rack? 10's would be the minimum..... and a spotter. YMMV.

Have Dog

Will Travel

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wageslave
If I was going to put on lots of miles and just wanted a "rack"......8's would do.
If I was going looking for only a big rack? 10's would be the minimum..... and a spotter. YMMV.

'slave,

How are you using your 10x's? Can you effectivelly glass off hand or are you mostly mounting them on a tripod?

David

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by wageslave

That pretty well covers it.

A tripod is not needed for 10x binos. Something I've noticed about folks who see too much wobble in 10xs is they don't get themselves stable. They just stand there wobbling around in the wind trying to glass.

Lean on a tree. Hold the rim of your ball cap with both index fingers. Adjust the bino straps to provide some tension at viewing height. Sit down. Simple little techniques that work, which apply whether one is using 10x or 6x binos.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
David,
I sit.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
David,

I use a 10x42 exclusively, and while glassing can be done effectively from field positions for a while, eventually the minor shaking and vibrations start to tire the eyes. It's amazing how much more detail you can see with the bino mounted on a tripod, simply due to the elimination of the vibrations. Try it. You'll like it, especially for prolonged glassing sessions.

prairie_goat,

Quick question- have you tried using a 10x bino mounted on a tripod?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just returned from a western hunt and used a pair of 8x42s. I prefer the 8x for overall general use. If I was going to use a tripod I'd rather have 10x, but I rarely do so prefer the 8x. I did compare the 8x vs 10x of the same manuafcturer on the trip and didn't notice any real advantage of one over the other. I could get by fine with either but like the subtle differences of the 8x.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I use a 10x42 , and while glassing can be done effectively from field positions for a while, eventually the minor shaking and vibrations start to tire the eyes. It's amazing how much more detail you can see with the bino mounted on a tripod, simply due to the elimination of the vibrations. Try it. You'll like it, especially for prolonged glassing sessions.

It is tough to agree with you for several reasons, you are considered more of a Northern hunter rather than a Western hunter, most of the time you are either wrong or overly bias. on this topic I must agree with you 100%, only problem is most of the time my 15x56's are already on the tripod(-:

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
David,

I use a 10x42 exclusively, and while glassing can be done effectively from field positions for a while, eventually the minor shaking and vibrations start to tire the eyes. It's amazing how much more detail you can see with the bino mounted on a tripod, simply due to the elimination of the vibrations. Try it. You'll like it, especially for prolonged glassing sessions.

prairie_goat,

Quick question- have you tried using a 10x bino mounted on a tripod?

Yes. It works, but if I�m going to the trouble of carrying a tripod, it�s attached to a spotting scope or set of Big Eyes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yup...

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Evidently many Campfire members fit into the older (and shaky) demographic that supposedly includes most hunters these days.

Crap, I'm only 46!

Starting to be able to hit a 8x10" steel plate off hand at 300yds, but still find the 10x bino's difficult.

David

Wow! Is your name Quigley?

I hope you kill something soon because you are really starting to act like a prick. Maybe if you spent more time shooting and less time running your mouth you would understand. Being able to accurately hit kill zones to 500 from field positions and even 300 from off hand is something most anybody can do if they want to put the time and effort into it. It's similar to juggling - most people try 3 or 4 times then get tired of picking up the balls and quit.

Looking forward to your next post where you come up with some ridiculous challenge that's orders of magnitude more difficult than what I said I'm beginning to be able to do and then crow about how much more you know about it than I do.

David

It was a joke David. Sorry it came across wrong.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just finished Washington state elk season with a friend of mine and he had a pair of 8x32 swaros and I had my 12x50 swaros. When we were glassing he would see an elk at about 800 yards and then I would burst his bubble and tell him it was a rock or butt of a fallen tree. And even in the trees I can focus past the close stuff and focus on an object through the trees to see if it is hair or wood. Don't like packing a spotting scope where we hunt to much up and down and weight, which my friend learned this year can be your worst enemy.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
David,

Don't know why you inferred I was glassing "offhand" with 10-powers all the time. I don't, any more than the rest of the hunters who've suggested at least 10x. Though I don't find them a handicap at shorter ranges when glassing without a rest, either.

Right now, however, I am guessing from various comments that some of the people who are strong proponents of 8x do a lot of their glassing unsupported, and at relatively close distances. (I may be wrong, but that's my guess.) One reason is the comments on the greater depth of field of 8x binoculars. This is true, but only to a limited extent. At any distance where you really need to sit down and glass the landscape, the depth of field of either 8x or 10x binoculars is infinite.

In addition, many years ago the late John Wootters said he actually preferred higher-magnification binoculars for hunting in the thick brush of his native Texas. The reason? Their shallower depth of field. He found he could "fuzz out" intervening brush, and often find bucks he couldn't have seen in lower-X binoculars because too much brush both in front and behind the deer remained in focus. I tried it, and as with most things having to do with deer hunting, John was absolutely right.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
MD,

I know that's not the only way you use your bino's, I'm focusing on it because that's what I'm most concerned with - maybe I shouldn't be. A large part of the problem maybe my lack of experience in open country hunting.

I have done quite a bit of what I call stalk hunting. I walk very slowly and quietly 5 or 10 yards, stop scan 270deg with my eyes, then again with a more detailed scan with my Bino's. Repeat. Hunting like this I find the 10x significantly less useful than 6x, a large part of the reason is image shake. From a stand where I can prop up, it's not hard to use 10x, and on some of the more open stands I've had where I could see a long way, the 10x's are an advantage.

I assumed that most open country hunting is a blend of the above. Perhaps walking faster/further without stopping, but still periodic glassing, until a likely vantage point is reached for a more detailed search. I was assuming the detailed search meant a spotting scope.

Dacid

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Darn. Now I'm going to have to throw out my 8x32 EL Swaros ;-)

It's a good thing I'm addicted to good optics as I don't see any problem with getting all of; a pair of 8x32's if you need to be nice and light, a pair of 10x42s and a spotter. I've found with optics as with many other things, until you try them for yourself, by buying them and spending time with them (not just looking through), you really don't know what works for you.

My philosophy which I would recommend to the OP is pick something in high quality glass, for the features important to you (e.g. lightweight = 8x32, more mag 10x42). Get something that will have great resale if you sell eventually. I like to buy for life but often you found something that just does not work for you.

You guys have me convinced to buy a pair of 10x42 ELs. I'm afraid if I do I will love then and will come up with reasons to hang on to both the 8x32 and 10x42 :-(

My current philosophy is 8x32 ELs + ATS 65mm spotter. Going to try it out real soon and report back on how it worked for me.

Last edited by canoetrpr; 11/02/14.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
David,

Some hunters do indeed use a spotting scope for a detailed search, especially at longer distances. But searching for long periods is much more comfortable with binoculars than a scope, because your eyes are much more relaxed when both can remain open and looking. (I do sometimes use a scope for long-distance searching, but leave a piece of tape on the scope, which I place across the left lens of my glasses when glassing for long periods. This allows me to leave both eyes open, rather than squinting with my left eye, but it's still not as comfortable as using a binocular.)

Normally, if I find deer with at least a 10x binocular, and if I can't tell exactly how big it is, or the deer I find is a doe and a buck might be nearby but semi-hidden, I then use the spotter. (It would be nice to always hunt country where it's always immediately apparent exactly how big a buck is in 8x binoculars, or where big bucks always are out in the open where both antlers are totally visible, but for some reason that doesn't always happen to me.)

There are many areas where your "stalk" hunting works very well for mule deer, but in more open areas it's not as effective. This is why my 8-12x Leica Duovid is my favorite all-around big country binocular. It might seem a little heavy to people used to light 6x to 8x binoculars, but evidently I long ago became immune to those thoughts, because I've found a slightly "too heavy" binocular far more effective than a too light binocular.

But it's also why I suggested in two of my previous posts that you bring both a smaller binocular and a big one on your hunt. One or the other will probably be more useful in whatever country you're hunting. If you can only afford one really good glass, I'd suggest you make it the more powerful one, and bring one of the smaller binoculars you already own for the other--probably the one you already prefer for your stalk hunting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
canoetrpr,

Some people think I have too many binoculars, but among them are both 8x32 and 10x42 EL's. I love them both--and find uses for both!

But if I could only own one it would be the 10x42, because there are many times when I can see stuff clearly through it that I wouldn't see as clearly with the 8x32. Sometimes that's because the object is farther away, sometimes it's because the light is dim, and sometimes it's because of both.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by canoetrpr

You guys have me convinced to buy a pair of 10x42 ELs. I'm afraid if I do I will love then and will come up with reasons to hang on to both the 8x32 and 10x42 :-(

Been there and bought the t-shirt. I won't be without both from here on out.
And, you need a 6x too. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't had a problem with 10x42s yet but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
heck with the 6x's. You really need to round out yer spotter collection to match the binoc's.

Think Big and Little.....

grab the 80mm spotter to go along with the 65.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntsman22; 11/02/14.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,856
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.