Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Looking to go mule deer hunting next year for the first time, the 1st of what I hope will become numerous western hunts - mule deer, antelope, elk. I would like to buy a pair of high quality binoculars that will be suitable for same, thinking Zeiss Conquest HD up to top Alpha glass quality.

This is NOT a which brand / model question - I've looked some and have some preferences, but will explore further later.

The question is magnification and objective size. I have several pair of $2-600 binoculars from pocket binoculars to 10x50. Of those, the pair that I like the most (and use the most) are my el cheapo Leupold Yukon 6x36's. The hunting I've done I find the 6x36's bright and easiest to use.

I don't see too many people talk about using low powered optics like this for open western country. Most commonly I see 10x42's and bigger magnifications/larger objective sizes. I was leaning more towards a pair of 8x42's, but curious on others opinions about binocular size/magnification for open country hunting.

Thanks,

David

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've used a bunch of binoculars out west for elk and mule deer hunting and prefer a 10-40 or 10-42.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
10x42 is the overall favorite.

I use Swarovski 8x30s and prefer them. I can see horns on critters so far away that I can't get to them on the same day. I figure its all I need to know, and the 8x30s are lighter...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took a good set of 12x42's my first trip and for me it was too much, to hard to distinguish the details without some sort of support. Went to 10x42 for my next trip and was much happier, I've also spent a fair amount of time behind my buddies alpha glass in 8x42 and could be very happy with those.
I think once the replies start rolling in it's going to be apparent that what works best for "you" is going to be best determined by you spending some time behind different sets.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by duxndogs
I took a good set of 12x42's my first trip and for me it was too much, to hard to distinguish the details without some sort of support. Went to 10x42 for my next trip and was much happier, I've also spent a fair amount of time behind my buddies alpha glass in 8x42 and could be very happy with those.
I think once the replies start rolling in it's going to be apparent that what works best for "you" is going to be best determined by you spending some time behind different sets.

I appreciate all of the comments so far.

In general, I'm more inclined to lower power optics. Question is mainly, am I handicapping myself by using an 8x? Based on the responses so far, it would appear the answer is no.

David

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I wouldn't say your necessarily "handicapped", but when I head out to do open country hunting, I immediately reach for 10x42's......and a tripod......and a spotter. That being said, I have fallen in love with the 8x32 Cabelas Euro HD's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No, not at all...providing that they are really good quality glass. Theres a lot of good stuff out there now. My Swarovskis are 20 years old and they were the bees knees when I bought them. Nowadays some $400 binocs compare favorably to them ( my old ones...not the new ones...)
Also as Im sure you are aware you get into a law of diminishing returns with optics pretty quickly. $400 binocs are 100% better than $150 binocs.
After that $600 binocs are about 10 % better than the $400 pair, and for another 10% it will cost you $1200

I haven't even looked at binocs seriously in 5 years so I can't give a real recommendation . I hope JB chimes in because he's up on the latest and greatest.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have to remember that "western hunting" covers a lot of different terrain. The ideal for one situation may not be ideal for another. Also there are lots of ways to hunt. If I'm in a vehicle or on horseback the 10x40's are fine. On foot with a long hike, my 8x20's are all I want.
As Ingwe said, optic quality is the trump card, after that your hunting situation will dictate what works best for you.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It's hard to go wrong with 8x. An awful lot of folks like 10x, though some remark about image instability (shaking). Those remarks become more plentiful as you go to 12x and higher, and that's why you hear/read more about tripods with those bins.

I have loved my 8x42 Victory's, but I've also been able to appreciate the view through 10x's, too. If I had it to do all over again, I might well end up with the 10's.

You'd be best served to handle & look through as many pairs as you can, & come up with what works best for you. Size, weight, & ergonomics are awfully important, too.

I'd prioritize "Western Hunt" spending thusly:
1) Boots - you're in 'em all damned day, and maybe the night, too. Bad boots could really screw-up your hunt.
2) Binocs - you'll be glassing more than hiking, eating, maybe sleeping, and certainly shooting. You can't kill what you can't find. Make sure you get a pair that you can be really comfortable looking through all day long.
3) Everything else. grin

Let us know what you come up with.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using a quality 10x42 for over 20 years, now, and actually feel somewhat handicapped when borrowing my wife's 8x30. However, I use my binocular year round. It goes with me in my truck wherever I go, and I do quite a bit of birding and scouting in the "off seasons". If you only use your binocular sporadically, except while hunting, you will probably be more comfortable with a 6-8 power glass.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

1) Boots -
2) Binocs -
3)really comfortable

That was an awful lot of wind, to say this.......grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have and use a set of Conquest HD 8X32's. They work very well, I love the huge field of view and compact size - but I do find times where a 10X might be a little better looking for horns at longer distances. Better yet is a nice spotter to go with the 8X's but a guy can only haul so much stuff up the mountains. Hard to go wrong with a good 10x42, but if you want a deal on a set of 8X32's to try PM me.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would take two, around 8x30 and 10x40. Both will probably come in useful, but depending on where you're hunting one will probably be more useful than the other.

Years ago I used to hunt with an 8x32 around my neck, and a 12x50 in the daypack for when I sat down and looked over bigger country. (And yes, there was a damn spotting scope and tripod in the pack as well.) But then Leica came out with the 8+12x42 Duovid and my binocular problems were solved. Luckily, I got 'em when they were half the price they are now....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
10x42 all the way for me... I have a lot of glass and the 10x42s get almost all the work almost all the time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by huntsman22

1) Boots -
2) Binocs -
3)really comfortable

That was an awful lot of wind, to say this.......grin

Aw, hell, I didn't even get started on underwear�

UnderArmor, by the way� grin

FC

- Mrs. FC
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
10x40/42, etc. by a long shot. 8x40/42, etc wouldn't scare me to much. I've used both and powers well below and above the 8/10x realm, but I've never reached over a pair of 10x's for 8's.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
It's hard to go wrong with 8x. An awful lot of folks like 10x, though some remark about image instability (shaking). Those remarks become more plentiful as you go to 12x and higher, and that's why you hear/read more about tripods with those bins.

I have loved my 8x42 Victory's, but I've also been able to appreciate the view through 10x's, too. If I had it to do all over again, I might well end up with the 10's.

You'd be best served to handle & look through as many pairs as you can, & come up with what works best for you. Size, weight, & ergonomics are awfully important, too.

I'd prioritize "Western Hunt" spending thusly:
1) Boots - you're in 'em all damned day, and maybe the night, too. Bad boots could really screw-up your hunt.
2) Binocs - you'll be glassing more than hiking, eating, maybe sleeping, and certainly shooting. You can't kill what you can't find. Make sure you get a pair that you can be really comfortable looking through all day long.
3) Everything else. grin

Let us know what you come up with.

FC

Solid advice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
10x42 is the overall favorite.

I use Swarovski 8x30s and prefer them. I can see horns on critters so far away that I can't get to them on the same day. I figure its all I need to know, and the 8x30s are lighter...

That's important for you old guys.... grin

I like my Leica 10x42 Geovids smile

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My bino of choice generally revolves around Big Muddy.

West of it - 10x
East of it - 8 or 6x.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the 7x42 for hunting . If I am hunting for big horns, I will also bring along the spotter.
Easy to look through all day, and even better real early or late.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Good luck finding any consensus on this. Most of the guys preferring a 10X binocular will use a fixed 4 or 6X scope on their rifle. I still prefer the 8X32 EL Swarovision or the 8.5X42 Swarovvision. I haven't felt lacking with either of those and I have hunted my entire life in Montana. I do have a pair of 10X42 Leica HD-B in my backpack, just in case...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Looking to go mule deer hunting next year for the first time, the 1st of what I hope will become numerous western hunts - mule deer, antelope, elk. I would like to buy a pair of high quality binoculars that will be suitable for same, thinking Zeiss Conquest HD up to top Alpha glass quality.

This is NOT a which brand / model question - I've looked some and have some preferences, but will explore further later.

The question is magnification and objective size. I have several pair of $2-600 binoculars from pocket binoculars to 10x50. Of those, the pair that I like the most (and use the most) are my el cheapo Leupold Yukon 6x36's. The hunting I've done I find the 6x36's bright and easiest to use.

I don't see too many people talk about using low powered optics like this for open western country. Most commonly I see 10x42's and bigger magnifications/larger objective sizes. I was leaning more towards a pair of 8x42's, but curious on others opinions about binocular size/magnification for open country hunting.

Thanks,

David

Nikon Monarch are just as good and cost a great deal less

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm kinda with shrapnel, 8x43 Pentax around my wife's neck with a 12-40 Leupold spotter in my pack or in truck w/window mount. 10x50 are to heavy for my wife...LOL

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
8X for me.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by WBill
... 8x43 Pentax around my wife's neck with a 12-40 Leupold spotter in my pack or in truck w/window mount. 10x50 are to heavy for my wife...LOL

Hold up a minute. If we get to use our wives as sherpas, then that changes EVERYTHING!

I'd go 8x, and 10x, and a spotter + tripod, and an espresso machine�

FC

- Mrs. FC
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd go 8x. My opinion is this: with 8x or even 7x I can see anything I need to "locate."

If I need more power to really figure out if it's a critter with enough horns to make me want to shoot it, then I don't need more power at all--it's actually a dink and I'm trying to convince myself.

In other words, once I've spotted a buck, I've rarely even needed binos to decide if he was big enough or not. The big ones, are. Even with the naked eye.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Thanks!

David

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I just picked up a Leica Duovid 8&12x42. I stole them at the price I paid. I used to use a 10x42 and found them good if I was able to get them on a tripod or rested over a pack or similar, but hand holding them yielded a shaky image for me. I moved over to a mid level 8x42 with HD glass and have been pleased. For my eyes, they are much easier to hold. Then....I got those Duovids. I LOVE them. The glass is stellar and I have found that the 12x is pretty easy to hold steady over my hiking staff. I am really pleased with them.

I hunt a lot of open country with pockets of aspen and pine and long open ridges.

Have fun hunting out here in the West. It gets in the blood and will keep bringing you back.

FH

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WBill
... 8x43 Pentax around my wife's neck with a 12-40 Leupold spotter in my pack or in truck w/window mount. 10x50 are to heavy for my wife...LOL

Hold up a minute. If we get to use our wives as sherpas, then that changes EVERYTHING!

I'd go 8x, and 10x, and a spotter + tripod, and an espresso machine�

FC

Nobody said sherpas weren't legal! laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
10x42 EL range. your going to want an RF might as well get both in one unit.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use both 8x42 and 10x42 premium binoculars. My 10x is my major use binocular but I like to run a 8x when hunting the timber and less open country. Advantages of the 8x are a larger FOV, brighter and easier to look through and hold steady than a 10x. I will not drop down to a 8x32 class because of loss of brightness in low light.

Most will agree that a 10x42 is better in open country and that is true. The 10x50 class is even better in all aspects but I can't afford the extra weight /bulk when I am also carrying a spotter, tripod and rangefinder.

There is another area the 10x42 had an advantage over the 8x42 and you seldom see it mentioned. The extra resolution of the 10x over the 8x in low light gives the 10x advantages when trying to identify the quality (antlers) of game animals. I learned this the hard way while running a premium 8x42 against my friends premium 10x42 on a trophy deer hunt. This advantage is expressed in the twilight factor. The 8x is brighter but has less resolution / lower twilight factor than the 10x42.

The 10x is also excellent on a tripod for mid range glassing.

For the reasons stated above my 10x is usually my choice for most hunts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own both an alpha 8X30 and 10X42. Can't recall a situation where the 8X30 would have been a better choice for the glassing scenario. Sometimes its easier and more convenient to carry, but I prefer glassing with the 10X42 by a significant margin. If both were lost tomorrow morning I'd replace the 10X42 by tomorrow evening. I doubt I'd buy another 8X30 until a particular circumstance would dictate their use.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use 8.5x42s

And not sure what you mean by western. Are you talking about open terrain on the east side of states like Oregon and Washington? Or the very thick areas in the western half? Broken?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Timberbuck

There is another area the 10x42 had an advantage over the 8x42 and you seldom see it mentioned. The extra resolution of the 10x over the 8x in low light gives the 10x advantages when trying to identify the quality (antlers) of game animals. I learned this the hard way while running a premium 8x42 against my friends premium 10x42 on a trophy deer hunt. This advantage is expressed in the twilight factor. The 8x is brighter but has less resolution / lower twilight factor than the 10x42.

I agree. Our own Mule Deer, with his years of experience with many different brands and configurations of glass, posted virtually the same findings a month or so ago. IIRC the many 24HCF experts chimed in to tell him how much of a dumbazz he was. I'm a dumbazz as well because I agreed with him too.

I will add that the older I get, I don't see that much difference in brightness between 8x42's and 10x42's of the same quality.

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/31/14.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The best 10x42 money can buy

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
JG,

Here I would like to list all the times somebody I'm hunting with or guiding has seen a "deer" a long ways away in their 7x or 8x binocular, which turned out to be a log or rock in my 10x or 12x binocular. But I can't, since I long ago lost count.

Once it even happened when a friend from the East was using my 7x Swarovski, which I'd loaned him because all be brought was a compact "woods binocular" that didn't work a darn. Have also had numerous people borrow my bigger binocular because they couldn't tell much about the size of a buck's antlers.

Yeah, a spotting scope will always tell more, and I always have one or two along when hunting big country mule deer. But I've also found a 10x or 12x binocular in my hand often bypasses getting the scope and tripod out of my pack and setting them up.

On the other hand, in closer country 8x is certainly plenty, and I'd much rather still hunt timber with an 8x30 around my neck than a bigger binocular like a 10x40. Which is exactly why I suggested to the OP that he bring both, since he owns a variety of binoculars. One or the other will be more appropriate, depending on what sort of country he ends up hunting.

Over the decades I have also found a spare binocular on a "big" hunting trip is a very good idea. It doesn't take up much room even if you're flying, and even if not perfect for that kind of hunting, beats the hell out of no binocular at all.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Every one has their particular preferences with their hunting style and how they use their optics. I am on the move quite a bit in thick stuff- so I like a 8x32/30 size around my neck. Have even used my 7x26 B&L Custom during early dry archery season. If I know I am going to be sitting for a while then I will use a spotter and either 8x or 10x40 on a tripod.

One way I have found that works for me when I am on the move and I want more power than what the 8x32 around my neck gives me is- instead of in my pack, I put a Nikon 13-40x ED 50 in the water bottle pocket on my pack instead on inside. It weighs less than a quart of water and is at my reach and I can quickly deploy it to get a 13x or more look at something. Can hand hold the 13x setting for a quick look and then can rest it against a tree for a higher power look. Of course the tripod for it is in the pack for times I want to sit down and glass. I have found this combo when on the move much more useful than just having 10x with me or carrying 10x around my neck all day. Plus the 8x to me is more useful in the setting I am in most of the time.

IMO- for western hunting you are going to want some sort of a spotter with you, or have access to one.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OK, I'm not touting any great experience or superior ability on my part, but I've been using binoculars for nearly 50 years. I probably have 40 different ones to my name now and have cycled more than that. I'm not trying to disagree or agree with any post on the thread.

This is just my own personal perspective in favor of 8x. There are several things and one event in particular that really have helped in shaping that perspective. The event was an optical display (maker irrelevant) at the local big deal "Bald Eagle Conference". This outfit was in the process of introducing a 7x42 and 10x42 binocular model. They had results of their work into the decision in favor of 7x over 8x. They also had a series of different magnifications of this same binocular in 7x, 8x, 9x, and 10x. They had a relatively simple test protocol that they had the mostly quite skeptical audience was asked to fill out. As it happened, when they presented their local results at a last day of the show workshop, the local results paralleled the rest of the research. In short, some 70% selected the 7x. about 20% the 8x and about 10% selected the 10x. This was from starting out not knowing what they had. The unmarked binocular just had a test sample number on it. That outfit sold a PILE of 7x42 binoculars at that show. Predictably, the 7x did not last because consumers not aware of the research just assumed the 7x was too weak and opted for the 10x. Everybody thinks the extra 1x gain of an 8x will show more detail, and the 20% increase of the 10x over the just has to be better still. What everybody thinks rules the world I guess. smile I'm not going to detail the times I could ID something with an 8x when my partner and his 10x could not. I do not doubt for a nano second that guys with a 7x could not identify what they could with 10x either.

I have a bunch of 7x binoculars and I doubt that much more than 10% of viewers could tell they were 7x and not 8x. I'd venture that those who can are defined by the percentage of the participants who selected 10x from the series of magnifications in the blind test. I've done this some on an informal basis and your average user sure can't tell.

Here is some food for thought with 8x, and why I tend to favor them. Yeah 10x is 20% larger than 8x. Since that is the case your eyes are working harder to process the extra magnification. As magnification increases, depth of focus decreases. Quite a bit between 8x and 10x. So for me I like not having to run the focus as much with 8x vs 10x. I prefer a view with a lot of area in front of and behind whatever buck I'm looking at that is in focus. Image shake has been mentioned, but that is a personal deal. Some shake worse that others. Shake for me is not an issue. Magnification also tends to magnify heat wave distortion. There have been times I was glad to have a 7x that would show something where the 10x had too much mirage effect to be useful, in my experience anyway YMMV.

The short story is either one works. That is why the argument exists. The preference of one magnification over the other is a personal preference. I have given up trying to convince anybody to chose one magnification over another. The reason for that is that, in my estimation, the way the binocular fits your face and in particular your eyes, particularly with regard to eye cup shape and eye relief is a hell of a lot more important than whether or not you are gaining or losing anything with a 10x vs and 8x. Contrast and color balance also come in ahead of magnification. So does how the binocular balances. Kinda like a good rifle. Do you want a 30-06 that fits like a glove or a 300 Wby that you have to fiddle with to get behind? Or a rifle scope with an eye box that suits you vs one that doesn't?

So, to the original post, as far as either an 8x or a 10x, like I said, both work. Pick one and go use it. I personally have never felt I have lost anything with an 8x. You are the only one who can decide that and you may have to go through some different ones to figure this out

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One seldom mentioned advantage of lower powered binoculars is the increased depth of field. If someone just uses their binocular to evaluate soothing they spotted with their naked eye, depth of field doesn't mean much. However,, to find game I like the extra depth of field when scanning for animals.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good point Fred, and extra depth of field decreases the chances for eye fatigue/headaches if you spend a lot of time on the glass.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Image shake and depth of field is why my 6x36's are my current favorite. Leaning heavily towards buying a new pair of 8x42's...

I appreciate everyone's input!

David

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
I use both 8x42 and 10x42 premium binoculars. My 10x is my major use binocular but I like to run a 8x when hunting the timber and less open country. Advantages of the 8x are a larger FOV, brighter and easier to look through and hold steady than a 10x. I will not drop down to a 8x32 class because of loss of brightness in low light.

Most will agree that a 10x42 is better in open country and that is true. The 10x50 class is even better in all aspects but I can't afford the extra weight /bulk when I am also carrying a spotter, tripod and rangefinder.

The 10x is also excellent on a tripod for mid range glassing.

For the reasons stated above my 10x is usually my choice for most hunts.

This

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
10x42 and a tripod would be my advice

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've boiled my optics down to two three which suit how I hunt regardless of game and terrain. I'm not dogmatic in saying it's THE way but for me it works out well.

I carry a lightweight, compact Leica 8x32 Ultravid for general hunting use where animals don't necessarily have to be sized up or judged. If, as on a trophy mule deer hunt, most of the hunting will be looking or glassing canyons, I use a Leica 15x56 Geovid on a tripod which is so much easier on the eyes than any spotter can ever be.

I do have a Zeiss spotter, a 15-45 x 65, a relatively compact piece that is mostly used for determining if that reddish spot three quarters a mile away is a fox or a bunch of balled up corn leaves.

I have given up the heavier, bulkier 10x bino's for general hunting purposes.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Image shake and depth of field is why my 6x36's are my current favorite. Leaning heavily towards buying a new pair of 8x42's...

I appreciate everyone's input!

David

I just got a pair of 8x42mm Vortex Talon HDs from Cameraland's sale. AMAZING. I am admittedly ignorant on optics, but ignorance truly is bliss and after the 8x40mm porros I had previous to these I am blown away.

I like others have a compact spotter (Leupold 15-30x) I keep close by for evaluating game spotted through the 8Xs & it's worked well for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In the country I hunt to get the really big bucks a lot of glassing is required. Sometimes I'll spend an entire morning in basically the same spot. My m.o. is to locate animals with my 10x40's then if he/it requires a closer look out comes the spotting scope. If he's worth going after I'll "stay on him" as long as possible. All the while working out in my head how I might approach him. If he beds downs early and I can see where he is I might go after him then. Otherwise, I'll be in on him at shooting light the next day. For me then, a good glass is extremely important. I like 10x40 or 12x40's and a high quality spotter. The 10x glass will often give me a good enough look so I won"t go to the effort of setting up the spotter. I often hunt elk in the timber so I find a smaller lighter glass best for that purpose. It's hard to under state how important good optics are in MY style of hunting. BTW I feel that a high quality spotter is wasted on a flimsy tripod.

Last edited by super T; 11/01/14.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I appreciate all of the comments so far.

In general, I'm more inclined to lower power optics. Question is mainly, am I handicapping myself by using an 8x? Based on the responses so far, it would appear the answer is no.

David

In order of most use:
Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26 (Sometimes I get back to camp and forget they're still around my neck--they are that light and compact--and yes they work very well)
Swaro 7x30B SLC
Swaro 8x30WB SLC

Yeah, they don't fit the Campfire blueprint, but they work for me.........

The next time I draw a sheep tag I'll probably be looking at a pair of 10x42's though.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'd go 8x. My opinion is this: with 8x or even 7x I can see anything I need to "locate."

In other words, once I've spotted a buck, I've rarely even needed binos to decide if he was big enough or not. The big ones, are. Even with the naked eye.

Exactly.

Same thing with a big bull--if they're big a guy knows it!

Sheep and pronghorns can be a bit more difficult though.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
First western hunt ever in a week! Antelope. Bringing my 8x32 Swaro ELs and new Swaro 65mm ATS spotter. Went back and forth between 8x32 8x42 10x42. Size ultimately won.

Maybe I'm shakier than most but it seemed to me that smaller size, light but excellent glass work best for me when I tested out.

Will report back on whether I'm going to switch to 10x42 in the future.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by canoetrpr
Maybe I'm shakier than most

Shooting sticks are the friend of shaky folk. whether as a rifle rest or for glassing....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Evidently many Campfire members fit into the older (and shaky) demographic that supposedly includes most hunters these days.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Shooting sticks are the friend of shaky folk. whether as a rifle rest or for glassing....

Maybe I just need to practice glassing more. I've seen a lot of improvement in my shooting from field positions, including off-hand over the last year or so. I brought a cheap pair of 10x40's to the range while I was shooting and found them difficult to use w/o a rest of some sort.

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Evidently many Campfire members fit into the older (and shaky) demographic that supposedly includes most hunters these days.

Crap, I'm only 46!

Starting to be able to hit a 8x10" steel plate off hand at 300yds, but still find the 10x bino's difficult.

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thattsa why I never leave home with a set of sticks. It is almost like cheating......

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Maybe I just need to practice glassing more. I've seen a lot of improvement in my shooting from field positions, including off-hand over the last year or so. I brought a cheap pair of 10x40's to the range while I was shooting and found them difficult to use w/o a rest of some sort.

David

I cannot underestimate the need of a tripod when western hunting. If you are exclusively hunting in thick, dark timber forests or something where tripods are useless, you will need a tripod for the usual western mule deer hunting. Been all over the west, been hunting for over 35 years out here, and I am telling you you will need it if you want to be effective. Sure, you can by chance encounter a mule deer buck while driving or walking or something and the use of optics wasn't necessary, but to get a quality buck, you are gonna have to see him before he sees you. That means using optics. That means spending hours with optics on the side of some hill. That means you cannot hand hold optics for hours. And do it for days. And don't forget, often, the distances can be well over a mile. I have hunted with guys who didn't use optics and tripods, and, well, let's just say the people who use them tend to be more successful.

My advice is 10x42 and a tripod. And bring a spotting scope if you can.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Crap, I'm only 46!

Starting to be able to hit a 8x10" steel plate off hand at 300yds, but still find the 10x bino's difficult.

David

Wow! Is your name Quigley?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dude... I can do that on a 12 inch plate with regularity and Im 62....

The 8 inch plate...not quite so regular...but often enough!

Last edited by ingwe; 11/02/14.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Crap, I'm only 46!

David

I hope you kill something soon because you are really starting to act like a prick. Maybe if you spent more time shooting and less time running your mouth you would understand. Being able to accurately hit kill zones to 500 from field positions and even 300 from off hand is something most anybody can do if they want to put the time and effort into it. It's similar to juggling - most people try 3 or 4 times then get tired of picking up the balls and quit.

Looking forward to your next post where you come up with some ridiculous challenge that's orders of magnitude more difficult than what I said I'm beginning to be able to do and then crow about how much more you know about it than I do.

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by flagstaff

David

I cannot underestimate the need of a tripod when western hunting. If you are exclusively hunting in thick, dark timber forests or something where tripods are useless, you will need a tripod for the usual western mule deer hunting. Been all over the west, been hunting for over 35 years out here, and I am telling you you will need it if you want to be effective. Sure, you can by chance encounter a mule deer buck while driving or walking or something and the use of optics wasn't necessary, but to get a quality buck, you are gonna have to see him before he sees you. That means using optics. That means spending hours with optics on the side of some hill. That means you cannot hand hold optics for hours. And do it for days. And don't forget, often, the distances can be well over a mile. I have hunted with guys who didn't use optics and tripods, and, well, let's just say the people who use them tend to be more successful.

My advice is 10x42 and a tripod. And bring a spotting scope if you can.

Flagstaff,

Comments much appreciated. I understand the need for a spotter and a tripod. I can certainly see the effectiveness of 10x on a tripod. some of the comments from Mule Deer and others lead me to believe that they are effectively using 10x bino's unsupported off-hand to effectively see things that can't be adequately resolved with lower magnification bino's. Right now, trying the limited bino's that I have in the field, I can't hold 10x steady enough to do that.

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Damn. I'm a member of that demographic. cry

[Linked Image]

If I use a stick, when I close my eyes and jerk the trigger, I don't miss near as much. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 8x30 and 10x42 premium glass......
If I was going to put on lots of miles and just wanted a "rack"......8's would do.
If I was going looking for only a big rack? 10's would be the minimum..... and a spotter. YMMV.

Have Dog

Will Travel

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wageslave
If I was going to put on lots of miles and just wanted a "rack"......8's would do.
If I was going looking for only a big rack? 10's would be the minimum..... and a spotter. YMMV.

'slave,

How are you using your 10x's? Can you effectivelly glass off hand or are you mostly mounting them on a tripod?

David

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by wageslave

That pretty well covers it.

A tripod is not needed for 10x binos. Something I've noticed about folks who see too much wobble in 10xs is they don't get themselves stable. They just stand there wobbling around in the wind trying to glass.

Lean on a tree. Hold the rim of your ball cap with both index fingers. Adjust the bino straps to provide some tension at viewing height. Sit down. Simple little techniques that work, which apply whether one is using 10x or 6x binos.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
David,
I sit.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
David,

I use a 10x42 exclusively, and while glassing can be done effectively from field positions for a while, eventually the minor shaking and vibrations start to tire the eyes. It's amazing how much more detail you can see with the bino mounted on a tripod, simply due to the elimination of the vibrations. Try it. You'll like it, especially for prolonged glassing sessions.

prairie_goat,

Quick question- have you tried using a 10x bino mounted on a tripod?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just returned from a western hunt and used a pair of 8x42s. I prefer the 8x for overall general use. If I was going to use a tripod I'd rather have 10x, but I rarely do so prefer the 8x. I did compare the 8x vs 10x of the same manuafcturer on the trip and didn't notice any real advantage of one over the other. I could get by fine with either but like the subtle differences of the 8x.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I use a 10x42 , and while glassing can be done effectively from field positions for a while, eventually the minor shaking and vibrations start to tire the eyes. It's amazing how much more detail you can see with the bino mounted on a tripod, simply due to the elimination of the vibrations. Try it. You'll like it, especially for prolonged glassing sessions.

It is tough to agree with you for several reasons, you are considered more of a Northern hunter rather than a Western hunter, most of the time you are either wrong or overly bias. on this topic I must agree with you 100%, only problem is most of the time my 15x56's are already on the tripod(-:

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
David,

I use a 10x42 exclusively, and while glassing can be done effectively from field positions for a while, eventually the minor shaking and vibrations start to tire the eyes. It's amazing how much more detail you can see with the bino mounted on a tripod, simply due to the elimination of the vibrations. Try it. You'll like it, especially for prolonged glassing sessions.

prairie_goat,

Quick question- have you tried using a 10x bino mounted on a tripod?

Yes. It works, but if I�m going to the trouble of carrying a tripod, it�s attached to a spotting scope or set of Big Eyes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yup...

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Crap, I'm only 46!

David

I hope you kill something soon because you are really starting to act like a prick. Maybe if you spent more time shooting and less time running your mouth you would understand. Being able to accurately hit kill zones to 500 from field positions and even 300 from off hand is something most anybody can do if they want to put the time and effort into it. It's similar to juggling - most people try 3 or 4 times then get tired of picking up the balls and quit.

Looking forward to your next post where you come up with some ridiculous challenge that's orders of magnitude more difficult than what I said I'm beginning to be able to do and then crow about how much more you know about it than I do.

David

It was a joke David. Sorry it came across wrong.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just finished Washington state elk season with a friend of mine and he had a pair of 8x32 swaros and I had my 12x50 swaros. When we were glassing he would see an elk at about 800 yards and then I would burst his bubble and tell him it was a rock or butt of a fallen tree. And even in the trees I can focus past the close stuff and focus on an object through the trees to see if it is hair or wood. Don't like packing a spotting scope where we hunt to much up and down and weight, which my friend learned this year can be your worst enemy.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
David,

Don't know why you inferred I was glassing "offhand" with 10-powers all the time. I don't, any more than the rest of the hunters who've suggested at least 10x. Though I don't find them a handicap at shorter ranges when glassing without a rest, either.

Right now, however, I am guessing from various comments that some of the people who are strong proponents of 8x do a lot of their glassing unsupported, and at relatively close distances. (I may be wrong, but that's my guess.) One reason is the comments on the greater depth of field of 8x binoculars. This is true, but only to a limited extent. At any distance where you really need to sit down and glass the landscape, the depth of field of either 8x or 10x binoculars is infinite.

In addition, many years ago the late John Wootters said he actually preferred higher-magnification binoculars for hunting in the thick brush of his native Texas. The reason? Their shallower depth of field. He found he could "fuzz out" intervening brush, and often find bucks he couldn't have seen in lower-X binoculars because too much brush both in front and behind the deer remained in focus. I tried it, and as with most things having to do with deer hunting, John was absolutely right.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
MD,

I know that's not the only way you use your bino's, I'm focusing on it because that's what I'm most concerned with - maybe I shouldn't be. A large part of the problem maybe my lack of experience in open country hunting.

I have done quite a bit of what I call stalk hunting. I walk very slowly and quietly 5 or 10 yards, stop scan 270deg with my eyes, then again with a more detailed scan with my Bino's. Repeat. Hunting like this I find the 10x significantly less useful than 6x, a large part of the reason is image shake. From a stand where I can prop up, it's not hard to use 10x, and on some of the more open stands I've had where I could see a long way, the 10x's are an advantage.

I assumed that most open country hunting is a blend of the above. Perhaps walking faster/further without stopping, but still periodic glassing, until a likely vantage point is reached for a more detailed search. I was assuming the detailed search meant a spotting scope.

Dacid

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Darn. Now I'm going to have to throw out my 8x32 EL Swaros ;-)

It's a good thing I'm addicted to good optics as I don't see any problem with getting all of; a pair of 8x32's if you need to be nice and light, a pair of 10x42s and a spotter. I've found with optics as with many other things, until you try them for yourself, by buying them and spending time with them (not just looking through), you really don't know what works for you.

My philosophy which I would recommend to the OP is pick something in high quality glass, for the features important to you (e.g. lightweight = 8x32, more mag 10x42). Get something that will have great resale if you sell eventually. I like to buy for life but often you found something that just does not work for you.

You guys have me convinced to buy a pair of 10x42 ELs. I'm afraid if I do I will love then and will come up with reasons to hang on to both the 8x32 and 10x42 :-(

My current philosophy is 8x32 ELs + ATS 65mm spotter. Going to try it out real soon and report back on how it worked for me.

Last edited by canoetrpr; 11/02/14.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
David,

Some hunters do indeed use a spotting scope for a detailed search, especially at longer distances. But searching for long periods is much more comfortable with binoculars than a scope, because your eyes are much more relaxed when both can remain open and looking. (I do sometimes use a scope for long-distance searching, but leave a piece of tape on the scope, which I place across the left lens of my glasses when glassing for long periods. This allows me to leave both eyes open, rather than squinting with my left eye, but it's still not as comfortable as using a binocular.)

Normally, if I find deer with at least a 10x binocular, and if I can't tell exactly how big it is, or the deer I find is a doe and a buck might be nearby but semi-hidden, I then use the spotter. (It would be nice to always hunt country where it's always immediately apparent exactly how big a buck is in 8x binoculars, or where big bucks always are out in the open where both antlers are totally visible, but for some reason that doesn't always happen to me.)

There are many areas where your "stalk" hunting works very well for mule deer, but in more open areas it's not as effective. This is why my 8-12x Leica Duovid is my favorite all-around big country binocular. It might seem a little heavy to people used to light 6x to 8x binoculars, but evidently I long ago became immune to those thoughts, because I've found a slightly "too heavy" binocular far more effective than a too light binocular.

But it's also why I suggested in two of my previous posts that you bring both a smaller binocular and a big one on your hunt. One or the other will probably be more useful in whatever country you're hunting. If you can only afford one really good glass, I'd suggest you make it the more powerful one, and bring one of the smaller binoculars you already own for the other--probably the one you already prefer for your stalk hunting.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
canoetrpr,

Some people think I have too many binoculars, but among them are both 8x32 and 10x42 EL's. I love them both--and find uses for both!

But if I could only own one it would be the 10x42, because there are many times when I can see stuff clearly through it that I wouldn't see as clearly with the 8x32. Sometimes that's because the object is farther away, sometimes it's because the light is dim, and sometimes it's because of both.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You guys have me convinced to buy a pair of 10x42 ELs. I'm afraid if I do I will love then and will come up with reasons to hang on to both the 8x32 and 10x42 :-(

Been there and bought the t-shirt. I won't be without both from here on out.
And, you need a 6x too. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't had a problem with 10x42s yet but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
heck with the 6x's. You really need to round out yer spotter collection to match the binoc's.

Think Big and Little.....

grab the 80mm spotter to go along with the 65.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntsman22; 11/02/14.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have experienced a similar circumstance between lightweight bins/rifle and a heavier bins/rifle. While lightweights are easier to carry, I have found them to be harder to hold steady, especially for long range work in the wind.

Conversely heavier "tools" were easier to "hold" because the weight helped steady
the item. So there is a benefit to having a little more weight. There are always trade-offs to consider. Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
huntsman is a man after my own heart :-)

heck with the 6x's. You really need to round out yer spotter collection to match the binoc's.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

It always amazes me when hunters who may own over a dozen big game rifles that all do basically the same thing, want to get by with ONE all-around binocular, and perhaps don't even own one spotting scope.

Optics are what find the animal. All the rifle does is kill it.

John Steinbeck
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

[Linked Image]

When are you getting the 15X to finish off the family?

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I joined this site in 2008 at the beginning of my binocular quest. Well that quest turned into an addiction and after a year or two of obsessing over optics, where you are never happy with what you have and always looking for that next almost perfect thing, I just relaxed and used what I had rather than over analyze everything.

I ended up with 6 pair of binos:

1) 6x30 Yosemite
2) 7x50 Fujinon
3) 8x32 Nikon SE
4) 8x42 Leica Ultravid
5) 8x42 Pentax DCF
6) 10x42 Nikon SE
For those that don't know, the Nikon SEs are Nikon's no holds barred porro design that hold their own optically against any alpha roof prism out there.

Anyway after just relaxing and using my binos these past four or five years I found that I use my wonderful 10x42s less than 10% of the time. I use my 6x30 Yosemite's when I'm backpacking in the mountains and a more specialized use on "water blinds" when I'm running my retrievers in field trials.

Most of my hunting is in the timbered mountains of western Montana, for that 90% of the time I either carry the 8x32 SE's or the larger, more durable 8x42 Ultravids. The one place I use my 10x42s is eastern Montana antelope and mule deer hunting.

Not that I want to obsess again, but I'm thinking about selling my 8x42s and buying a new pair of 8x32 Swarovski EL SV's.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GlacierJohn

Not that I want to obsess again, but I'm thinking about selling my 8x42s and buying a new pair of 8x32 Swarovski EL SV's.

Don't waste any more time contemplating this maneuver, you won't be sorry...

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I don't know how to read that comment; are you saying I should or should not make that switch? I seriously would like you opinion as I'm heading down to the store tomorrow.

Last edited by GlacierJohn; 11/03/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Right now, however, I am guessing from various comments that some of the people who are strong proponents of 8x do a lot of their glassing unsupported, and at relatively close distances. (I may be wrong, but that's my guess.) One reason is the comments on the greater depth of field of 8x binoculars. This is true, but only to a limited extent. At any distance where you really need to sit down and glass the landscape, the depth of field of either 8x or 10x binoculars is infinite.

I actually do all of my glassing from a solid, supported rest. I also do some glassing from opportunity more or less impromptu as the situation presents itself. The latter really does not count as glassing in my book. Glassing is taking the time to dissect the scenery and look for what is there. I prefer 8x for that. However, I own several 10x glass and actually use it perhaps more than I maybe inferred I do. I find that Personally, I can't see what I can't see with 8x with 10x either. Personally, it is a different thing altogether at 12-15x. If I ever spring for an alpha glass, it'll be a Leica Duovid 8-12x42, simply for me, while 10x is not enough increase over 8x, 12x is.

However I have recently been using a 10x glass that I really like. It is the Option HR WP porro prism 10x42. Kind of narrow fov, but it has superior depth of field for a 10x. Worth a look.

I always thought that increased magnification and its increase in detail was a lot more apparent at close range than long.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Actually, I think a person could get along with one rifle (if it was a 270, of course),easier than they could get along with one binocular or one spotting scope. I have 6X, 8X, 10X and 12X binoculars and four spotting scopes, use them all frequently and still need a few more of each.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After reading all the post, I'm going with 9x42 binos!!

Last edited by 338rcm; 11/03/14.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

I haven't had a problem with 7x30' or 8x30's......maybe I'm doing something wrong........ grin

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I don't know how to read that comment; are you saying I should or should not make that switch? I seriously would like you opinion as I'm heading down to the store tomorrow.

Get the EL 8X32 Swarovision. I have all the stuff that has been talked about, I have had the 8X32 for awhile now and have even thought about selling the HD-B 10X42 and get another Swarovski LRF and use separate optics again...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well I just have one high power rifle (a M70 30Gov't06 w/ Vari X II 3x9) and one bino (a Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32) and no spotter. I tend to get my share of the critters. I find more important than either is to get out of the truck, off the road and hike a bit. Simply amazes me the amount of people that never get out of site of a road.

Last edited by centershot; 11/03/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by centershot
Well I just have one high power rifle (a M70 30Gov't06 w/ Vari X II 3x9) and one bino (a Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32) and no spotter. I tend to get my share of the critters. I find more important than either is to get out of the truck, off the road and hike a bit. Simply amazes me the amount of people that never get out of site of a road.

I want all these guys to continue sitting on the hillside playing with their alpha glass--leaves more critters for me............

wink
Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Nearest road is 2 hours by air from here...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Nearest road 34 miles by boat...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Shooting stuff from the road isn't bad when you can do it. Only 1/2 mile from the road, no pavement but a decent 2 track...

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

GlacierJohn-

Won't speak for shrapnel- but I believe that he for sure means to make the switch.

I have and have had a # of the binoculars on your list. I have the 8x32 SV's now and they are awesome. I also use the 6x30 Leupold Yo's quite a bit here in the thick stuff- good glass for the money esp. I think besides not using the 8x42 Leica Ultravid roofs as much after getting the SV's ( if you do), I think you will find you will be carrying the 8x32 SV more so than the 8x32 Nikon SE's. I have had 2 of those, and as good as they are- they are not quite what the Swaro SV's are. And I have compared them side by side when I had both. As good as the SE's are, I do not miss having them when compared to the SV's. I just could not see keeping a spare bino to just "Sunday drive" with. For me the SE was too much $$ to just be used as mostly a house bin. It is too wet and harsh here for that. But the Nikon SE ( esp the 8x32) is a simply fantastic bin that is 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the Swaro SV.

Tell us what your thoughts are regarding the 8x32 SV if you end up getting one.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Royce
Actually, I think a person could get along with one rifle (if it was a 270, of course),easier than they could get along with one binocular or one spotting scope. I have 6X, 8X, 10X and 12X binoculars and four spotting scopes, use them all frequently and still need a few more of each.

That is me ( and my one rifle is a 270 Tikka m695); and I have 6x; 7x; 8x; 10x and a couple spotters. I mostly bowhunt ( 1 recurve and 2 compounds); but even if I didn't, I could get by with one all around rifle. Can't say the same about optics. Plus I use my optics all around for all kinds of things more than I shoot my bow ( or rifle); and I shoot my bow a lot. Just not as much as I use optics.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

I haven't had a problem with 7x30' or 8x30's......maybe I'm doing something wrong........ grin

Casey

I must be making the same mistake, cause I haven't had any trouble with my 8X32 or 42's.

But I get along with my 10X43's also.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G

Get the EL 8X32 Swarovision. I have all the stuff that has been talked about, I have had the 8X32 for awhile now and have even thought about selling the HD-B 10X42 and get another Swarovski LRF and use separate optics again...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the encouragement to make the switch. There is a slightly used (one day), basically new 8x32 EL SV at my local shop $1,799.00. I plan on putting my 8x42 Ultravid BRs on consignment and put the ELs on layaway. So that would leave me with two 8x32 and no hunting 8x42, (the Pentax DCFs are 20 year old house binoculars).

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Angv or something like that posts here and had a set of those ELs for sale, I don't know if he got them sold...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How did using nice glass become about road hunting and dicking around?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hell, I dunno!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Some threads start about about guns, and then people start posting pictures of half naked big breasted nubile young women- Gawwd, I love those threads...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah those are good ones..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In their defense, even those threads still stay close to the topic. For instance, this young woman is using binoculars and that scenery behind her does look like it's in the West...

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Royce
Some threads start about about guns, and then people start posting pictures of half naked big breasted nubile young women- Gawwd, I love those threads...

grin

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
To make up for that last one, Shirley Eaton - The original Sexy Girl w/ Binoculars...

[Linked Image]

David

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I use 10x42 Zen-Ray PRIME HD that I got from Cameraland for western hunting. In the open area, the 10x gets the job done

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To make up for that last one, Shirley Eaton - The original Sexy Girl w/ Binoculars...

[Linked Image]

David

As an eyeglasses wearer, that is some eye relief I could get behind...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

As an eyeglasses wearer, that is some eye relief I could get behind...

Ah, I see what you did there.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 11/07/14.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.