Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Soooo... for more years than I care to admit to I've been thinking I'd reallllllly like to take a handgun class from Clint Smith. So a few months back I was looking at a few checks I'd just deposited for teaching a Tactical Anatomy class and wondering what to spend it on, and a Facebook post from Thunder Ranch popped up saying that they still had two slots in their Defensive Revolver class in November.

That led to a couple of emails back & forth, then some money changed hands, I bought some ammo (has to be lead-free at TR), bought some airline tickets, and now I'm getting fixed to go shoot sixguns with Clint.

These are the sixguns I plan to take with me:

[Linked Image]

All 3 are 357 Magnum revolvers. I generally shoot 38 Special +P ammo in them for competition and training, but all do well with various 357 loads for hunting/woodswalking as well.

Top & bottom guns are 686-4's, basically identical except that the bottom one is a Teddy Jacobsen-tuned gun that's DAO and shoots slightly faster. The top one is a Jack Weigand-tuned sixgun with the SA function still intact. It shoots a tad slower, but in most matches or classes they are basically interchangeable. I'll be using these 2 sixguns for the majority of the class work.

The middle gun is a 3" Model 65, and which is much more of a carry gun than the other two. I've used it to win some tin now & then, though, so it's earned its keep. It will come along for daily carry and perhaps a bit of a workout on the range during the class.

I haven't shot my revolvers seriously for months, so a conditioning program is in progress. After all, I'll be shooting 600-800 rounds over a 3-day period at this class. I've been dry-firing a couple hundred times per night for the past week, getting my hand used to the action again. I started live-fire yesterday, 240 rounds or so, mostly slow fire, then finishing up with a few Double Bill Drills. Good fun. My hands feel good, and I'm starting to build up the callus on my trigger finger again. I'll keep the round count under 200/day for the next few days to keep building it, but not too much so as to make sure I don't raise a blister. I've had trigger-finger blisters before, they're no fun.

I am sure looking forward to this class. I'll give y'all an AAR when I get back.

Last edited by DocRocket; 10/30/14. Reason: wrong pitcher

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm envious.

I've been to Gunsite a couple of times and Roger's Shooting School and if I get a chance, TR will be my next destination.

Clint is clearly a pragmatic Instructor in a field inflated with extraneous doctrine.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TR revolver is one of the classes I've always wanted to take. Color me jealous sir.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Enjoy Doc, you deserve the break my friend.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You flying out buddy, or driving?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by frogman43
You flying out buddy, or driving?

He is flying, but not flying his own self!
Originally Posted by docrocket
...bought some airline tickets...

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
BTW, expecting pics and an extensive write-up. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'll have a lot of fun, Clint is a great guy and a first rate instructor. And you have chosen your revolvers very well; have fun my friend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot one of our old retired Model 66s at work the other day. Now I realize why you like 'em.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
They still have some?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I shot one of our old retired Model 66s at work the other day. Now I realize why you like 'em.
If you are not as familiar with Smith revolvers as some of the newer designs, I'd suggest the 686. When I started shooting, there was no 686. A 19 was one of my first guns. I think the 686 is much better. Doc's two 686's look pretty sweet. Of course, right now I've got a 19 and a 28 and no 686. lol

The PD in our county seat had 66's when I was a kid IIRC. They sent them in for 681's on some big trade-in. I remember one of them used the former issue gun while they were waiting on the 681's. It was a 38-44 Heavy Duty. After the 681's they got 4506's. I have no idea what they currently run.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sounds great. When I was last home (Boerne) a month or so ago the household loaded C-van arrived from Australia and one of the four unloading the cargo was wearing a Thunder Ranch hat. I queried and he responded that he had been to eight of Clint's classes, all but one in Texas, and used whatever funds he was able to save to go on "vacation" to Thunder Ranch. He was heading there around now IIRC for his second trip to the northern facility. Nothing but praise for the man and the facilities. I will be planning a run post retirement next year as a trip from the north Idaho place.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I like the K-frames quite a bit... the geometry and size is perfect for my hand. As such, I tend to use a K-frame when I'm shooting a match that calls for fast shooting at closer range. If you follow such things, Jerry Miculek has set most of his revolver shooting world records with M66 revolvers, FWIW.

But the K-frame is not a robust platform. They shoot "loose" if fed a steady diet of 357 Magnum ammo over time. The M65 in my photo had to be rebuilt by S&W after I had shot it over 3 IDPA seasons. In fairness, it was a PD-surplus revolver that I bought used, and I did fire a lot of rounds through it. But still, it needed a rebuild after I put less than 30,000 rounds through it. By contrast, my 686's have 40,000+ rounds each through them, and are still running tickety-boo.

The 686 is one of the few times that a compromise worked/works. The L-frame is, IMHO, the perfect frame size for a working revolver in a serious caliber (357 Mag, 41, Mag, 44 Mag/Spl, 45 Colt). I have 3 686's, a 586, and now a Model 69 (5-shot 44 Mag) in L-frames, and they are all keepers. I plan to get more. I need to get someone to build me one in 45 Colt one of these days...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'm excited for you, too. And really looking forward to your AAR. If there's a more sensible revolver for daily carry than a 3" M65, I'm not aware of it. Excellent choice.

A man's capacity is usually relative to his goals.
-Karl Erlich, The Sea Chase
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be curious about Thunder Ranch's take on the overall strategy of carrying a defensive revolver, when many/most people today have switched to autos. When I carry one it's either for hunting, or for general utility use, where the targets could be anything from snakes to 2 & 4 legged predators. No trying to stir any controversy, just learn.

I'd also be curious if they are seeing any trends in revolver reliability, old versus new models. That would be stirring smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as happy for you as a jealous man can be Doc

have a blast!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I'd be curious about Thunder Ranch's take on the overall strategy of carrying a defensive revolver, when many/most people today have switched to autos. When I carry one it's either for hunting, or for general utility use, where the targets could be anything from snakes to 2 & 4 legged predators. No trying to stir any controversy, just learn.

I'd also be curious if they are seeing any trends in revolver reliability, old versus new models. That would be stirring smirk

I'd like to see the failure rates of pre and post-lock S&W's compared, as well as any comparison between L-frame Smiths and Ruger GP100's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DOC ROCKET - " ... I've been dry-firing a couple hundred times per night for the past week, getting my hand used to the action again. I started live-fire yesterday, 240 rounds or so, mostly slow fire, then finishing up with a few Double Bill Drills. "

Perhaps you're working on revolver speed reloading, but if not, I suggest you do a lot of practice using your speed loaders.

I imagine you'll have a lot of fun and learn a thing or two while at Thunder Ranch. Smith knows his stuff.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I'd be curious about Thunder Ranch's take on the overall strategy of carrying a defensive revolver...

Last year Clint did a couple of classes at TR Texas-----in addition to a Jason Burton (Heirloom Precision) 1911, he carried one of these in an ankle holster:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/..._757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Clint's a huge revolver fan, especially old N and S frame guns.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BTW, expecting pics and an extensive write-up. wink

This. Try to get one with Heidi in it too. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.