-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/30/us/jack-broughton-89-dies-a-top-pilot-turned-critic.html?ref=us

Col. Jack Broughton flew more than 200 jet-fighter missions in the Korean and Vietnam Wars and received the Air Force Cross, his service�s highest award for valor after the Medal of Honor. He led the Air Force�s Thunderbirds in acrobatics that thrilled air show spectators in the mid-1950s and piloted nearly 50 types of military aircraft.

But in June 1967, he faced a possible prison term when the Air Force accused him of covering up the strafing of a Soviet freighter in the North Vietnamese port of Cam Pha by a pilot under his command.

Colonel Broughton and two of his pilots were court-martialed. All were acquitted of the most serious charges, conspiracy to violate Air Force rules of engagement that forbade such an attack. But Colonel Broughton�s career was destroyed in the fallout from one of the most contentious issues of the Vietnam War: the restrictions Washington placed on bomber pilots out of fear that the Soviet Union or China could be drawn into the conflict.

Colonel Broughton died Friday in Lake Forest, Calif., his daughter Kathleen Schaefer said. He was 89.

In retirement, Colonel Broughton (pronounced BROH-ton) wrote widely on his combat exploits and his anger at President Lyndon B. Johnson, Defense Secretary Robert S. McNamara and the Air Force for limitations that he believed cost pilots� lives and destroyed any chance America had of winning the Vietnam War.

�We were poorly utilized, we were hopelessly misdirected and restricted, and we were woefully misused by a chain of stagnant high-level civilian and military leadership� that lacked fortitude in a �war that they ineptly micromanaged,� Colonel Broughton wrote in �Rupert Red Two� (2007), a memoir whose title drew on his call sign while a young military pilot.

Citing restrictions on hitting important targets like major ports, antiaircraft-missile sites under construction and MIG fighters on the ground during the bombing campaign called Rolling Thunder, Colonel Broughton lamented �what was probably the most inefficient and self-destructive set of rules of engagement that a fighting force ever tried to take into battle.�

Jacksel Markham Broughton was born on Jan. 4, 1925, in Utica, N.Y., and grew up in Rochester, the son of a drapery salesman.

When he was a teenager, he recalled, he saw a picture in a newspaper of �an open cockpit Navy dive bomber high above the ocean.�

�The pilot, with his cloth helmet and goggles, was at the controls while the gunner in the rear cockpit manned his turret-mounted machine gun and searched the sky for enemy aircraft,� he continued. �I could easily visualize myself in that front cockpit. I knew I wanted to be a military pilot.�

He entered West Point in 1942 but graduated too late to see combat in World War II. He flew fighter-bombers in support of American ground troops in the Korean War, then served as vice commander of the 355th Tactical Fighter Wing in the Vietnam War while also leading strikes of F-105 Thunderchief fighter-bombers.

On June 2, 1967, one of Colonel Broughton�s pilots told him that his cannon fire might have hit a ship at Cam Pha while he was leading an attack on nearby antiaircraft sites.

The next day, the Soviet Union complained that one of its merchant ships, the Turkestan, had been bombed at Cam Pha. Believing that his pilots would be punished for an infraction that could have easily been overlooked, Colonel Broughton ordered destruction of the gun-camera film that showed the ship in the sights of the pilot leading the mission.

After an investigation, he admitted having ordered that the film be destroyed. Because it was the only evidence of an apparent attack on the Soviet ship, the court-martial board acquitted Colonel Broughton and two other pilots of conspiring to violate the rule forbidding the bombing of Cam Pha harbor. Colonel Broughton was found guilty of destroying government property � the seven rolls of film � and was fined $600 and admonished.

Col. Chuck Yeager, the president of the court-martial, who in 1947 had been the first pilot to break the sound barrier, was quoted by Air Force magazine saying later that �everybody from the Joint Chiefs down wanted to nail Colonel Broughton and his pilots and make them examples� for flouting restrictive bombing rules, but that most of the Air Force colonels in Vietnam sympathized with him.

Colonel Broughton was transferred to an administrative post in Washington. In July 1968, the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records expunged the court-martial from his records, ruling that he should have been subjected to minor nonjudicial punishment, known as an Article 15 proceeding. He retired a month later.

In October 1968, Copley News Service cited an account from an unidentified source who had reported seeing the damage to the Soviet ship Turkestan and believed that it had probably not been hit by the Air Force but was apparently accidentally struck by North Vietnam antiaircraft gunners trying to shoot down a low-flying American warplane in the vicinity.

In addition to �Rupert Red Two,� Colonel Broughton told of his Vietnam experiences in �Thud Ridge� (1969) and �Going Downtown: The War Against Hanoi and Washington� (1988), �Downtown� being the American pilots� nickname for North Vietnam�s capital. �Thud Ridge� became a selection on the Air Force chief of staff�s recommended reading list for officers.

In addition to his daughter Kathleen, Colonel Broughton is survived by his wife, Alice Joy; his daughters Sheila Broughton and Maureen Murrah; his son, Markham; a brother, Robert; and nine grandchildren.

Colonel Broughton received the Air Force Cross for his actions over North Vietnam on Feb. 5, 1967, when he hit his target after his plane was heavily damaged and drew fire as a decoy to divert enemy aircraft from attacking his fellow pilots on the mission. He was also awarded two Silver Stars and four Distinguished Flying Crosses.

In addition to writing on his combat experiences, he developed commercial hovercraft and worked for Rockwell on advanced aviation projects after retiring from the Air Force.

Col. Leo K. Thorsness, a pilot in Colonel Broughton�s wing who was shot down, spent six years as a prisoner of war and received the Medal of Honor, revered him.

�He was a leader who led with brains and guts,� Air Force magazine quoted him saying. �But one of his greatest strengths � supporting his pilots � was his downfall.�

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not many like him left, sounds like a guy you could count on.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Partsman
Not many like him left, sounds like a guy you could count on.

Yeah, and those are the ones getting driven out, so there are even less and less when we need them most. I fear for the good service members who do not have a leader like him.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
RIP.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RIP Col. Jack Broughton, Thank you.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure as hell don't make them like that anymore. Thanks to the democrats, the armed forces have been systematically emasculated since 1992.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
RIP Col. Jack !
A Patriots, PATRIOT
I Wholeheartedly agree with his assessment of the Civilian and Military command during the Vietnam fiasco... and it has only progressively gotten worse.
Control of the military by the Executive branch is WRONG. Just look at the present Commander-in-Chief, Bozo the Clown Hussein!

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I flew with a couple aircraft commanders borne from the same mold as Col Broughton.These Korean war pilots were fearless and experienced even though their tactics at times were frowned upon.

The outcome of the war would have been different if command elements had looked past the don'ts of engagement and permitted them the luxury of destroying the enemy at all costs...RIP Sir

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sure as hell don't make them like that anymore. Thanks to the democrats, the armed forces have been systematically emasculated since 1992.

The downsizing of the military started with the first President Bush. I know - I administered part of the program. The problem that they managed the program for numbers and not quality. The result was what was called - The Brain Drain. Dispoportionly large numbers of high quality soldiers and officers left the service at least in the Army. Don't know about the other services.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sure as hell don't make them like that anymore. - I absolutely agree with you on this.

Last edited by BlackHunter; 10/30/14.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
RIP Colonel.

Retired cat herder.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I contend that the politicians have been emasculating the armed forces since the mid-sixties.

RIP, Colonel

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, that is not accurate. After another democrat, Carter pretty well slicked them from a logistics perspective, Reagan (GOD BLESS HIM) built them back up to the apogee of their existence, materially, operationally and in the quality of the force. We reaped those benefits during Desert Storm, but shortly thererafter under klinton, the social experimentation ensued. 9/11 gave us somewhat of a resurgence, but after 2006 that aspect really took of. Naturally the war toughened those in direct combat operations, but the bureaucracy has gotten much worse and all in the name of political correctness. I'm retired, but I see it every day as the PM for a contract on board a naval installation.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rest In Honored Peace Colonel Broughton

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIP Colonel. I have a cousin who would be very close to Col. Broughton in age and Air Force career and he says the very same thing as Col Broughton about LBJ and his whiz kids. We were winning the war in VN but losing it in the Whitehouse and congress.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rest In Peace Colonel! He is not the only one who made those sort of Observations about LBJ and the crowd around him, one of the most corrupt Presidents in American History! In my life time I have seen five really substandard men as President, LBJ, Carter, Clinton Bush 41, and Obama, I still have not made any decision on Bush 43, and Richard M. Nixon! As a Nation, we should be able to do a heck of a lot better than this bunch I should think!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Again another American Hero passes....

however contrary to other opinions given here... I think this nation still "makes them like that"...

however, sadly with politicians running our military instead of the officers trained to do so, those types will not be allowed to rise to their potential...or level of leadership...

ever since Vietnam, our politicians have way too much control over the military.. setting rules and policies with political correctness as the target, instead of the simple concept of winning...

and sadly these days, Chief of Staffs rise to their positions from a strong ability to brownnose and kissasss, instead of excelling at military leadership abilities...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 13 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.