Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Books are the solution.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of fine hunting books out there, many at bargain prices or even free in electronic versions. Get a tablet or a Kindle (very reasonable and probably the best device for serious reading), start hitting the used bookstores and flea markets and even yard sales. Check Amazon.

Magazines, with few exceptions, have devolved into 100-page advertisements, offering almost no worthwhile content to balance the sales pitch. Outdoor TV shows, again with very few exceptions, are even worse, as in addition to the NASCAR-style sponsor rants, they subject you to almost endless phony redneck grab-ass "humor" and narcissic sentimentality. Lobbying publishers and producers to put out the stuff you want, as opposed to the stuff their sponsors want, is about as futile as trying to get your dog to stop licking his junk.

Books can be read and re-read and give your children something else to fight over when you're dead.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/29/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Internets"!!!

Please, somebody tell me there's not another one!

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Does anybody know if the is a compilation of Russel Anabel's Sports Afield articles or a book of any/all of his stories/-Muddy

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Here is a link to Annabel's Stories on sporting Classics

Annabel Stories

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
"Internets"!!!

Please, somebody tell me there's not another one!

There's several. We just don't see all of them.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gitem, Thank You-Muddy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Muddy, Safari Press offers a 5 book set of all Russell Annabel's stories. Magnum Man

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I try to do a write up here on 24 Hour when I have an interesting hunt. Do it more as a daily travel log with pictures. I have one started on the big game forum, Forty Year Moose. It will take me a couple more days to finish. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see entirely too much of one of them, for sure!

Good story, by the way.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Here's something that I've posted for Remembrance Day the past few years. I believe it's called Veteran's Day in the US. We observe it on November 11th. The story is a loose marriage of war, memories of days gone by, and hunting. It's not McManus. It's not technical. It's not in vogue.

Gramps
Copyright 2007 - Stephen Redgwell

It's hard to believe that over twenty years have gone by since the last time I visited Gramps' farm. It�s located in Prince Edward County in eastern Ontario, on the road between Picton and Cherry Valley. Gramps had 150 acres that was used for mixed farming - primarily hay and dairy cattle.

He bought the place in 1919 for $150. That was a lot of money back then. He got a special government loan after returning home from France at the end of World War One. The money had to be paid back at one dollar a month, and he never defaulted. He was a hard worker and his dairy cattle produced a steady supply of milk that was easily sold. By the summer of 1931, Gramps was a paid in full member of the local farming community.

In some respects, it must have been tough coming home after the war. Everyone used to say that he had aged far beyond his years because of the fighting. They said that when he was away in France, he always worried about his family waiting back in Ontario.

When I was in my twenties, I got a rare look into Gramps� past. I had just joined the army and he told me about what the service was like when he was in uniform. He never talked about the war, so this was a private moment between us. He spoke about the noise and the dead lying around on the battlefield. He described the musty, dirty smells of the trenches. Did I know that there were rats? They fed on anything - army horses, farm animals and human corpses.

One memory that's always stuck with me was when Gramps described seeing a man cry for the first time. He was embarrassed and ashamed. Gramps felt that he was intruding on another person's privacy, but where could he go? You couldn�t leave the trenches. Grown men would just sit by themselves, weeping openly. No one said anything. He finished off by saying that the trip back to Canada was a lonely time. Every day he sat on the deck of the ship, staring into space, re-living the memories of what would become �the war to end all wars�.

"No one learned a lesson from that." was all he said.

He was actually one of three boys that went overseas to fight the Hun. Gramps was the only one that returned. His two brothers � Edward and Terry - died within hours of each other at Vimy Ridge, on the morning of April 9th, 1917. The fighting, the loss of his siblings and worrying about family took its toll.

Dad said that Gramps never talked to anyone about the days before 1919. Every Remembrance Day however, Gramps would dutifully go to the service at the local cenotaph. He never cried, but always seemed to drift away for a few minutes, staring into the distance - looking in vain for his two lost brothers perhaps.

Gramps died in 1986, but the farm is well cared for by a property agency. The fields are rented out to neighbours to cover the agency fees and taxes.

The 1870s era farmhouse looks much the same as it did when it was built. With the single addition of an indoor toilet in 1961, it stands as a snapshot of a bygone era. I'll always remember it that way.

My first memories of the place were visits in the early 1960s. Unlike our farm, Gramps had no electricity or running water. There was a small pump in the kitchen and a larger one outside, a few feet from the front porch. A large wood stove provided heat. It also provided the hot water for baths, dishes and the laundry.

Whenever I went for a visit, Grandma used to chase Gramps and me out the door. He loved to go bird hunting but didn�t do enough of it. Grandma would say,

�Go out and get me a nice pheasant Gramps, and some rabbits too. I�m sick of chicken!�

Summer and early fall were my favourite times to go hunting. As a child, I enjoyed the simple pleasure of exploring the farm, oblivious to possession limits or the need to bring something home. Being outdoors was enough and Gramps helped instill that feeling by being one of my early hunting companions.

We�d spend our Saturdays walking around the hay fields or stalking the hardwood thickets that hid our supper. I think that Gramps secretly liked to play hooky from his farm chores and be a kid again. I carried an old single shot Cooey. Gramps had his 12 gauge side by side.

I was always leading the way, my 22 ready for anything. Gramps was a real good spotter. Whenever he saw a rabbit or a bird that he figured I could hit, he�d tap me on the shoulder, point and whisper.

�Look over there, Steve. About twenty yards away, under that maple.�

My rifle would bark, and if I was lucky, there would be game for the pot. Those were the memories that I treasure the most.

In 1986, I went to visit Gramps while on leave from the army. Ten years earlier, I had joined the Canadian Forces. I was unsure of how the family would take it back then, but I needn�t have worried. Both Dad and Gramps were proud that I had chosen to serve, but sad that I would be away from home. Nonetheless, they supported my decision and wrote me often, wherever in the world I went.

When I got to the farmhouse, Grandma met me at the door, gave me a big hug and said to come inside.

�I know it�s been about six months since you last visited us, Steve. I wanted to tell you that Gramps isn�t feeling well. He�s lost some weight and has trouble walking. Come on, he�s looking forward to seeing you.�

I went into the living room and saw Gramps sitting by the window, staring outside at the fields. He wasn�t the man I talked to last spring. He turned and smiled at me, looking very tired and frail. Gramps must have seen the reaction in my face because he said, �Come over and sit beside this old man, son. I won�t bite.� Then he looked at Grandma and said, �Why don�t you get us some tea, mother?�

Gramps waited for Grandma to go into the kitchen before speaking.

�Don�t look so sad, Steve. No one lives forever. A few years ago, the doctor told me that I had a cancer. It�s finally caught up to me. Oh, don�t worry. You know that poem about not going gently into the good night? Well, I ran ahead of it as long as I could.�

My eyes welled up with tears. I tried, but couldn�t say anything. Then Gramps said,

�Last night I dreamed about my brothers. I haven�t done that in years. Ed, he was the oldest, he used to tell me that I�d be the traveller in the family. Well, I proved him wrong. Except for going to France in the First War, the farthest I�ve never been is Toronto. I�ll rub that in his face when I see him.�

Gramps was saying goodbye. I had to keep it together.

�When you retire from the service, make sure that you come back here to live. You can settle down and take over this old place. It�s in good shape. I�ll leave my 12 gauge for you to use. You never did get a shotgun of your own. Take your 22 out of retirement and give it to your kids.�

We spent the afternoon chatting about all sorts of things. We reminisced about the farm, growing up and later on, when I first joined the military. We laughed about Grandma, how the crows used to follow us when we went rabbit hunting and that, even after sixty years, army boots fit no better than when Gramps was in.

Just before supper, Gramps told me to go to my dad�s place and have something to eat. I could come back later. He gave me a picture of him taken in 1917, standing proudly in his uniform. He also handed over a box with his medals inside. He said to put them away for safekeeping. He said that future generations of our family mustn�t forget their relatives or anyone in uniform. He wanted his great-grandkids to see his picture and be able to touch his medals.

A little before 5:00 PM on Nov 10, 1986, I left for dad's house. Gramps passed away less than an hour later.
---

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Pap was WWII, vet coal miner and a rascal. Laws were to be obeyed if you might get caught, broken if you could. Will never forget him and following him in the woods. He died when I was 10 and Ive missed him for 35 years. Dam you hillybillybear I shouldnt have tears on my cheek this early. At least the wife and kids are asleep.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shaman, have to say reading your post about the realities of your deer hunting circumstance I thought that sounds about how it is for me too only then did I look at your location. The sad thing is for eastern hunters we live in what is a rural area, I can't imagine what it must be like in more populated areas.

Having said that I am torn between trading off ole Betsey for a 7mm weatherby magnum with a 4-16 scope so I fling those high BC billets and get a flatter trajectory. My 308 just isn't getting out there fast enough ;-)

Last edited by bangeye; 10/30/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bangeye
Shaman, have to say reading your post about the realities of your deer hunting circumstance I thought that sounds about how it is for me too only then did I look at your location. The sad thing is for eastern hunters we live in what is a rural area, I can't imagine what it must be like in more populated areas.

Having said that I am torn between trading off ole Betsey for a 7mm weatherby magnum with a 4-16 scope so I fling those high BC billets and get a flatter trajectory. My 308 just isn't getting out there fast enough ;-)

I think we have a huge disconnect anymore. What we dream about as hunters is no longer the reality. Heck it may have been that way for 50 years for all I know. In fact it may never have been what we expected.

Years ago I used to read Outdoor Life and dream. I wanted to fish real fish and hunt real deer. Then I started going to the places I'd read about and it was nothing like what I read. In the end, I had to admit that I'd been taken. What I was doing, I liked, so I stayed with it, but this wasn't what I signed up for.

The Greater Ohio Valley is one of the most beautiful and rich sporting destinations out there. Cincinnati is at the heart of it, but you never think of either as a premier hunting destination. Growing up, folks around me always wanted to go deer hunting in Michigan or go fishing in Canada or Florida. What the heck was I thinking all those years?

I have seen Musky jump in the river less than 10 miles from my farm. I have had elk, bear, and bobcat on my property. However, I know very few people that would point to Bracken County Kentucky as a sports Mecca. And who knows? Maybe I'm living in a sports slum. Maybe your place is tons better, but nobody writes about either, so we won't know.

I am at least trying to do my part to fix it. The deer hunting at The Hole in the End of the Stump Deer Camp may not be pretty, but it's real.

BTW: I'd keep Betsy and pick up and move closer. My rigs are set up for a maximum 250 yards, and I think I've actually taken one at 170 yards. Hitting flyspecks are not my cup of tea and you may find they are aren't yours. Remember that the average whitetail east of the Mississippi is taken at under 80 yards.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
749 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 87 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.