Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Looking to go mule deer hunting next year for the first time, the 1st of what I hope will become numerous western hunts - mule deer, antelope, elk. I would like to buy a pair of high quality binoculars that will be suitable for same, thinking Zeiss Conquest HD up to top Alpha glass quality.

This is NOT a which brand / model question - I've looked some and have some preferences, but will explore further later.

The question is magnification and objective size. I have several pair of $2-600 binoculars from pocket binoculars to 10x50. Of those, the pair that I like the most (and use the most) are my el cheapo Leupold Yukon 6x36's. The hunting I've done I find the 6x36's bright and easiest to use.

I don't see too many people talk about using low powered optics like this for open western country. Most commonly I see 10x42's and bigger magnifications/larger objective sizes. I was leaning more towards a pair of 8x42's, but curious on others opinions about binocular size/magnification for open country hunting.

Thanks,

David

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've used a bunch of binoculars out west for elk and mule deer hunting and prefer a 10-40 or 10-42.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
10x42 is the overall favorite.

I use Swarovski 8x30s and prefer them. I can see horns on critters so far away that I can't get to them on the same day. I figure its all I need to know, and the 8x30s are lighter...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took a good set of 12x42's my first trip and for me it was too much, to hard to distinguish the details without some sort of support. Went to 10x42 for my next trip and was much happier, I've also spent a fair amount of time behind my buddies alpha glass in 8x42 and could be very happy with those.
I think once the replies start rolling in it's going to be apparent that what works best for "you" is going to be best determined by you spending some time behind different sets.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by duxndogs
I took a good set of 12x42's my first trip and for me it was too much, to hard to distinguish the details without some sort of support. Went to 10x42 for my next trip and was much happier, I've also spent a fair amount of time behind my buddies alpha glass in 8x42 and could be very happy with those.
I think once the replies start rolling in it's going to be apparent that what works best for "you" is going to be best determined by you spending some time behind different sets.

I appreciate all of the comments so far.

In general, I'm more inclined to lower power optics. Question is mainly, am I handicapping myself by using an 8x? Based on the responses so far, it would appear the answer is no.

David

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I wouldn't say your necessarily "handicapped", but when I head out to do open country hunting, I immediately reach for 10x42's......and a tripod......and a spotter. That being said, I have fallen in love with the 8x32 Cabelas Euro HD's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No, not at all...providing that they are really good quality glass. Theres a lot of good stuff out there now. My Swarovskis are 20 years old and they were the bees knees when I bought them. Nowadays some $400 binocs compare favorably to them ( my old ones...not the new ones...)
Also as Im sure you are aware you get into a law of diminishing returns with optics pretty quickly. $400 binocs are 100% better than $150 binocs.
After that $600 binocs are about 10 % better than the $400 pair, and for another 10% it will cost you $1200

I haven't even looked at binocs seriously in 5 years so I can't give a real recommendation . I hope JB chimes in because he's up on the latest and greatest.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have to remember that "western hunting" covers a lot of different terrain. The ideal for one situation may not be ideal for another. Also there are lots of ways to hunt. If I'm in a vehicle or on horseback the 10x40's are fine. On foot with a long hike, my 8x20's are all I want.
As Ingwe said, optic quality is the trump card, after that your hunting situation will dictate what works best for you.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It's hard to go wrong with 8x. An awful lot of folks like 10x, though some remark about image instability (shaking). Those remarks become more plentiful as you go to 12x and higher, and that's why you hear/read more about tripods with those bins.

I have loved my 8x42 Victory's, but I've also been able to appreciate the view through 10x's, too. If I had it to do all over again, I might well end up with the 10's.

You'd be best served to handle & look through as many pairs as you can, & come up with what works best for you. Size, weight, & ergonomics are awfully important, too.

I'd prioritize "Western Hunt" spending thusly:
1) Boots - you're in 'em all damned day, and maybe the night, too. Bad boots could really screw-up your hunt.
2) Binocs - you'll be glassing more than hiking, eating, maybe sleeping, and certainly shooting. You can't kill what you can't find. Make sure you get a pair that you can be really comfortable looking through all day long.
3) Everything else. grin

Let us know what you come up with.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using a quality 10x42 for over 20 years, now, and actually feel somewhat handicapped when borrowing my wife's 8x30. However, I use my binocular year round. It goes with me in my truck wherever I go, and I do quite a bit of birding and scouting in the "off seasons". If you only use your binocular sporadically, except while hunting, you will probably be more comfortable with a 6-8 power glass.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

1) Boots -
2) Binocs -
3)really comfortable

That was an awful lot of wind, to say this.......grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have and use a set of Conquest HD 8X32's. They work very well, I love the huge field of view and compact size - but I do find times where a 10X might be a little better looking for horns at longer distances. Better yet is a nice spotter to go with the 8X's but a guy can only haul so much stuff up the mountains. Hard to go wrong with a good 10x42, but if you want a deal on a set of 8X32's to try PM me.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would take two, around 8x30 and 10x40. Both will probably come in useful, but depending on where you're hunting one will probably be more useful than the other.

Years ago I used to hunt with an 8x32 around my neck, and a 12x50 in the daypack for when I sat down and looked over bigger country. (And yes, there was a damn spotting scope and tripod in the pack as well.) But then Leica came out with the 8+12x42 Duovid and my binocular problems were solved. Luckily, I got 'em when they were half the price they are now....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
10x42 all the way for me... I have a lot of glass and the 10x42s get almost all the work almost all the time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by huntsman22

1) Boots -
2) Binocs -
3)really comfortable

That was an awful lot of wind, to say this.......grin

Aw, hell, I didn't even get started on underwear�

UnderArmor, by the way� grin

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
10x40/42, etc. by a long shot. 8x40/42, etc wouldn't scare me to much. I've used both and powers well below and above the 8/10x realm, but I've never reached over a pair of 10x's for 8's.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's hard to go wrong with 8x. An awful lot of folks like 10x, though some remark about image instability (shaking). Those remarks become more plentiful as you go to 12x and higher, and that's why you hear/read more about tripods with those bins.

I have loved my 8x42 Victory's, but I've also been able to appreciate the view through 10x's, too. If I had it to do all over again, I might well end up with the 10's.

You'd be best served to handle & look through as many pairs as you can, & come up with what works best for you. Size, weight, & ergonomics are awfully important, too.

I'd prioritize "Western Hunt" spending thusly:
1) Boots - you're in 'em all damned day, and maybe the night, too. Bad boots could really screw-up your hunt.
2) Binocs - you'll be glassing more than hiking, eating, maybe sleeping, and certainly shooting. You can't kill what you can't find. Make sure you get a pair that you can be really comfortable looking through all day long.
3) Everything else. grin

Let us know what you come up with.

FC

Solid advice.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
10x42 is the overall favorite.

I use Swarovski 8x30s and prefer them. I can see horns on critters so far away that I can't get to them on the same day. I figure its all I need to know, and the 8x30s are lighter...

That's important for you old guys.... grin

I like my Leica 10x42 Geovids smile

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My bino of choice generally revolves around Big Muddy.

West of it - 10x
East of it - 8 or 6x.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.