Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
My loonyism funds are at an all time low. So in the last month I've had to build a couple of rifles but just in my mind. I'm hoping at least one will come to fruition but who knows. I have built a 256 Newton, a 338Federal, a 6mm, a 358Winchester, a 224TTH, and an 8mm-06. It's not fun being broke but you can get in some high level wishful thinking. powdr

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
In answer to the OP's question....I hope so!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Powdr, maybe you could find some items to trade for build components. Got any used motorcycle tires lying around? grin

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JB once wrote a story about paper rifles (pictures) that were easy on the wallet

[Linked Image]
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Got an uberlanche? Bet that could get ya a few custom chargers minus bipod plus a custom holster?!?!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by powdr
My loonyism funds are at an all time low. So in the last month I've had to build a couple of rifles but just in my mind. I'm hoping at least one will come to fruition but who knows. I have built a 256 Newton, a 338Federal, a 6mm, a 358Winchester, a 224TTH, and an 8mm-06. It's not fun being broke but you can get in some high level wishful thinking. powdr

Yes, but how do they shoot ?

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That sort of rifle puts them all into one hole. Believe me, I know.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It wouldn't be fun if it was that easy.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Man, I'm sittin on the parts and am broker than the 10 commandments. Got about half of what I need and have been pleading w/Santa to bring my gifts in the form of cash. Three gifts of about a $100 a lick would put me in shippin mode. powdr

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
well sheeeyet. i just need cash, and a barrel. and i'd be all set lol

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
On a related note, my old college roommate and I were talking about the old days when we were broke college students. We each had a deer rifle (pure factory, each probably capable of 1.5-2 inch groups at best), a 12 gauge shotgun (mine a used wingmaster, his an 370 express), our boyhood .22 rifles (Marlin model 60 and a 9422), .22 handgun (Colt New Frontier and Browning auto), and that was it. But we had just as much fun shooting, and perhaps more fun hunting, as we do now. And boy, do we have more and better guns now! Think I'd trade the firepower for the youth.....
We did a lot of dreaming about the guns we'd someday own, and those wishes were almost more exciting than actually
owning them.

Last edited by 300_savage; 10/29/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Often the pleasure in desiring a gun far exceeds the joy of actually owning it. Actually fulfilling your dreams is often a disappointment. Jim Carmichael once said that with some things its far more satisfying to dream about having them than it is to actually own them.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by moosemike
Often the pleasure in desiring a gun far exceeds the joy of actually owning it. Actually fulfilling your dreams is often a disappointment. Jim Carmichael once said that with some things its far more satisfying to dream about having them than it is to actually own them.

Amen to that!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Accurate statement. It also holds true with other material possessions, not just guns.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A noted gun writer with some sort of Irish name, O'Kelly or something like that, once wrote that after shooting a lot of different rifles and cartridges he eventually came to the realization that all of them only used powder and bullets. After some experience, I am beginning to suspect that despite the improvements made in rifles, powder and bullets since his day, the same basic principle still holds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
John Wootters wrote an article "Facts and Fancies About Deer Rifles" and stated that there was not a dimes worth of difference in the popular deer cartridges.
I wished I had paid attention

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was off work for 2.5 years, 6 months longer than my 99 weeks of Unemployment. During that time, I didn't buy any rifles or start any new reloading projects, but I did find ways to have fun.

Mostly, what I did was find new uses for old stuff. Trading around scopes got me some better functionality. I pulled off a few recoil pads and ended up making a rifle that would work better for me in cold weather after I was wearing extra layers.

I'd take this broke phase and make it a challenge: what new functionality can I make with the parts at hand?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A noted gun writer with some sort of Irish name, O'Kelly or something like that, once wrote that after shooting a lot of different rifles and cartridges he eventually came to the realization that all of them only used powder and bullets. After some experience, I am beginning to suspect that despite the improvements made in rifles, powder and bullets since his day, the same basic principle still holds.

I faintly recall a writer such as you describe. Thinking his first name was Jeff or Jim?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You jogged my failing memory. I believe Jed O'Cochrane was his name.

Seen any decent buck deer lately? I'm starting to switch into antler mode from horn mode....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Accurate statement. It also holds true with other material possessions, not just guns.

And wimmins too!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,827
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.