Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks bud!

IC B3

D
D
Cool pictures.It's amazing how horses out west don't need barns. Around here,we treat them like dogs.We don't even let ours out when it's raining lol.Last year I picked up a mare that came from a ranch out west and she can't stand to be in a stall.She'll come in to eat but then bangs on her stall gate non stop until I let her back out.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Horses are amazingly tough. People get anthropomorphic with them and end up causing more problems.

The only thing they need is a wind block.

We have had stretches of -20* to -30* for a week at a time.

feed em heavy when it gets cold so they have calories to burn. They are built to handle it.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This was taken this morning the temperature is 13*

They all look pretty darn good to me...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
some thawed water can't hurt, either......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unless they're Indian ponies getting by for 3 months lickin' snow.

Horses are tough.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have five horses that haven't seen the inside of a barn in about two years. And they wouldn't know what a blanket is for either. Now my 30 year old paint, my wife's retired arthritic quarter horse, and my wife and daughters show horses go in every night.

Ain't nobody got time for that!!!

Another great pic Corcadori

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What state are you in Douge??

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've got 600 gallons of "thawed" water and when it snows they hardly, if ever touch it. They take in more than you think by grazing in snow covered pasture. Like Sam said I've watched em lick snow instead of make the walk to the watering trough. The ponies on the Pryors or in the McCullough Peaks get snowcones for 3-4 months... tough sumbitches. 1/2 the horse's in the Peaks used to be domestic until some of the A$$munch owners long ago turned em loose and said good luck.

I've got a pony off the peak's with a brand run on the neck and she has 1/2 her ears gone from frostbite...best [bleep] pack horse I have and tough as a railroad spike.

Only ones I even blanket are maybe the geriatrics if it'll be below zero for too long. Of my personal horses I only ever blanketed the show ponies if we were going to events throughout the winter. But since I left all the political bullschit ego stroking circle jerking stuff behind I don't worry much about it.

Simply, like Sam said, horses are tough.

D
D
Originally Posted by Robster
What state are you in Douge??

I'm in Pa.I've had horses most of my life and I realize that they're tough.We work ours hard,really don't baby them but they do go in the barn when it's really wet or really cold and windy.I was out west several years ago and just took notice that there weren't many barns lol.It's not a criticism on how people in different parts of the country care for their animals.My kids bring them in every night after they get worked,brush them down,check their hooves and make sure everything is ok.My wife and I went away for a week this past summer and left the kids at home with the MIL.They fed them,road them etc but just left them at out 24 hrs/day.When we got back,the one started to get a bad case of scratches.Our horses are pets but they're ridden hard in rodeos and barrel races.I just like to keep their feet picked out and make sure nothing is starting to go in the wrong direction as well as monitor how much feed they get.I know people who's horses never see the light of day unless it's inside of an arena.To me that's ridiculous and actually cruel.I also have a thing about hairy hocks and beards lol.I make the kids keep them trimmed.

D
D

Only ones I even blanket are maybe the geriatrics if it'll be below zero for too long. Of my personal horses I only ever blanketed the show ponies if we were going to events throughout the winter. But since I left all the political bullschit ego stroking circle jerking stuff behind I don't worry much about it.

Simply, like Sam said, horses are tough.

I don't like to blanket horses unless it's really cold or there's a bunch of mud.I like mine to grow hair for the winter.To me,blankets in the pasture are just something for them to get hung up on.

I also agree that leaving behind the egotistical know it alls makes it more enjoyable.I've met some good people in the horse business but have also come across more liars,cheats and just pinheads than anywhere else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.