Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
got one in a snap trap last night, and had the peanut butter cleaned off and the trap tripped but no mouse on another.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Get a cat, about a year old, they will destroy a mouse population, when they get too old to hunt or slow down on the killing get another one and get rid of the old guy.

I'd like to think the old guy has earned his keep at that point

We put dryer sheets in our camper when we store it for the winter. Supposedly mice won't go near it - never had a mouse problem so I guess it works.

won't kill them but it might be a cheap way to steer them toward a trap

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
got one in a snap trap last night, and had the peanut butter cleaned off and the trap tripped but no mouse on another.

Having the same issue, need suggestions...........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wife just informed me that all of a sudden we've got mice sign everywhere. We pulled out washed everything, put out poison and within 24 hours all the poison was gone. I put out more and we'll see how much they take. Sheesh. I'm thinking the big rains this summer made the mice populations explode.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erickg

You can lighten the trigger up a bit, but be assured, once they get the taste of peanut butter off the trigger of a trap, it's just a matter of time until lights out for the little fugger.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my buddies place out in the country gets mice a lot. he finally got himself educated on where and how the mice were getting in and stuffed steel wool into the small crevices they were using and we took all the furniture and appliances out and scrubbed down the floors with bleach water to get the urine trails they leave behind that gives the next mice road maps to where to go. then we also laid those enclosed traps and some glue traps on the outside of the house around the foundations to try to get them before they get into the house. he still gets an occasional one but has reduced the issue greatly. they sure can mess up a place in a hurry and cause some damage too.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just be aware of the possibility of overpenetration on the mouse haids!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I just set a dozen of the 'Tootsie Roll' baited traps last night. I will let you know when I check them.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
J23 #9296914 10/30/14
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The bucket set is the ultimate.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I've had good luck with the Kress brand traps and also the Ortho brand traps. The old wood Victor style traps only seem to work about half the time. I've been using crunchy peanut butter. I'll have to give the Tootsie Rolls a try.

As for poison, I've used Dcon pellets inside the cabin. Outside, I have the large rat bait boxes with a combo of Tomcat (Bromethalin) and "Just One Bite" Bars. they seem to like this better than the Tomcat with Diphacinone.

When it gets cooler (less/no bugs), I put a light coating of peanut butter on the poison bars/chunks that I have outside.

Managed to completely eliminate any mice in the cabin for about 3-4 months, until it started getting cool again, then I caught two in my inside traps last week. frown

Gonna have to break out another can of the "pest block" spray foam and steel wool....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If they're stealin' the peanut butter, then put some polyester fiber under the lip and then wad it up with the PB. It works every time for me. In fact, you can use polyester and bacon grease, or any kinda cheese spread. You want them working a little harder than just licking to spring the trigger.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by shaman
If they're stealin' the peanut butter, then put some polyester fiber under the lip and then wad it up with the PB. It works every time for me. In fact, you can use polyester and bacon grease, or any kinda cheese spread. You want them working a little harder than just licking to spring the trigger.

This one sprung the pack rat trap. Pack rats are bad this year also. About 15 mice from the house and the young cat has been slaughtering the voles. I think I will try the five gallon bucket with holes and bait.

[Linked Image]

J23 #9300419 10/31/14
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by J23

I just set a dozen of the 'Tootsie Roll' baited traps last night. I will let you know when I check them.

well I put 7 traps out with the Tootsie Roll bait, I nailed two in what? 2 days. Not bad considering the ones that I have baited with peanut butter or that Tomcat gel sat untouched. It was interesting to note that on the hardened Tootsie Roll traps that snaped mice, there was distinct tooth marks on the block of tootsie roll.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

J23 #9312961 11/05/14
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well, I thought I would update.. after an initial burst of success, my traps have sat untouched again, using the Tootsie Roll bait.

Is it perhaps possible that mice become aware of the trap, or of the particular bait being used, and recognize it as dangerous? They walk up and watch poor Frank get his back broke, or see little Annie with her head snapped shut under a metal bar and decide that the little wooden platform with Peanut Butter or Tootsie Roll on it is too good to be true?

Little fuggers.

Ted Nugent

J23 #9313036 11/05/14
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
mice don't reason, lol

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had a little family of mice working inside the drywall behind my laundry room. they were just having a good time knocking around nuts and dog food inside that will void.

after some thinking, I grabbed a can of Gumout throttle body and carb cleaner, poked a hole into the sheetrock with a screwdriver and let er rip with the red extended nozzle tip. Pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.......ssssss...ssssssssssssssssss

there was some floppin around noise for a few seconds and then quiet.

so then I had to cut a small hole in the wall, it was a nest with momma, daddy, and several little babies looked like kidney beans.

it was a good day, it was like a 'mouse Halabja' chemical attack laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
I had a little family of mice working inside the drywall behind my laundry room. they were just having a good time knocking around nuts and dog food inside that will void.

after some thinking, I grabbed a can of Gumout throttle body and carb cleaner, poked a hole into the sheetrock with a screwdriver and let er rip with the red extended nozzle tip. Pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.......ssssss...ssssssssssssssssss

there was some floppin around noise for a few seconds and then quiet.

so then I had to cut a small hole in the wall, it was a nest with momma, daddy, and several little babies looked like kidney beans.

it was a good day, it was like a 'mouse Halabja' chemical attack laugh

I wonder if you could have put a golf ball size hole up near the top of that wall after you gassed them and then placed the end of one of those extended butane lighters into that small hole you poked with the screwdriver and turn the whole nest and family into a sort of potato cannon. that would have poped out of that hole on top. but then I guess you would have stood the chance of having to explain the whole thing to your local fire department. oh well, it was just a thought.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I also use a 5 gal. bucket with abut 2" of water. I just smear peanut butter around the inside about 3" down and come back in a few weeks. I do this at my cabin. My son has asthsma and the mice really but a rut on his breathing. He weezes in side 10 minutes of being in the cabin. We us traps but the coons seem to run off with the traps if there is a mouse in them. Five weeks ago I did 3 5 gal buckets. Two were outside and one inside the cabin. We ended up with none in the cabin, 10 in one bucket, 6 in another and one in a trap. Two weeks later We had 10 altogather. That makes 27 mice in 5 weeks. Next , we are using old anti freeze. and will keep them all winter I suppose. Sure wish I would have some weazels around I won't use bait cause it seems weazels would die .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ihookem
I also use a 5 gal. bucket with abut 2" of water. I just smear peanut butter around the inside about 3" down and come back in a few weeks.

I'm willing to give anything a try, though the antifreeze may not be such a good idea around my place considering the cat and dogs running around.

Your bucket trap sounds simple enough..

..do you use a stick leading up to the bucket, or the spinning can and rod, such as the bucket traps I have seen floating around on YouTube, and being mentioned here? Or is it just as you said... A five gallon bucket.. water.. and peanut butter spread around the INSIDE, 3" or so down from the top? How do they get up there, climb the bucket?

Ted Nugent

J23 #9314634 11/06/14
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I just put it next to a wood pile . I also put a board leading to the top of the bucket too. Both work but the wood pile seems a bit better for some reason. Just tuck it up to the wood pile and you will have mice. I am at war with mice sinse my son had such breathing problems from being in the cabin. It is to the point he can't be there anymore and that makes me darn mad. There is something about that smell that gets in his lungs. The lungs swell up or something. Breathing treatments work for a little while and that is all. If ya have dogs I would do without antifreeze.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,297
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.