Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
It's simple supply and demand guys.

No, it's not.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad

No, it's not.

Supply/Demand, and whole lotta speculation. The majority of the world's crude oil is owned by narcissitic, evil, semi retarded dictators. I would submit we are closer to $150 crude than $50 crude.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by stxhunter
most people have no idea what it takes to get that oil out of the ground.

Yep. There are the simple methods (hence risk) in Texas and the more complex such as this in Kazakhstan, my last oil extraction project sixty miles offshore in the Caspian Sea. Night and day do not remotely describe it. It is a world market, something too many folks do not grasp.

The "drilling rig".

[Linked Image]

The living quarters.

[Linked Image]

The wildlife. grin

[Linked Image]

Kashagan?

Can't believe it's taken so long for that project to production. I was involved with the Parker Rig when they were drilling the first hole, 15 years ago. But considering what a cluster that was, I'm not surprised at the delays, and the cluster was on the part of the expats not the Kazakhs.

So is the field as nasty as predicted with high H2S, CO2 and pressures?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by ingwe
If oil topped out at $147....lets say gas topped out at $4

Oil is at $80 now...54% of its high.

Gas is at, lets say $3....75% of its high.

I think maybe we are still getting 'lubed' by the oil companies.....

Lets not forget that "gas" is the bi-product of the toxic refuse that comes out the back end of the cracking process. Big oil makes hundreds of $'s off each barrel of oil from a whole host of petroleum products long before they get to the gasoline.

No, actually gasoline is one of the first groups of hydrocarbons that come out of the refining process. The heavier ends is where the variety comes from.

I stand corrected, I shouldn't have used the wording "..out the back end..". Point being that Oil co.s make big bucks off the other stuff too, whether gas comes out of the process or not. I have no problem with this, just get a little rankled when some oil execs. whine about the cost of production of gas when they know full well they're making a lot of money off the other stuff.

Last edited by SBTCO; 10/31/14.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK
I heard something interesting on the radio.

It took more than 100 years for a gallon of gas to get to $1.50 a gallon. It took less than 10 years for it to go to $4 gallon.

Think we are getting [bleep]?

Dink

We all bitch about the price of gas, but it is like 22 ammunition. It hasn't gone up with the cost of everything else, when we see $3.50/gal when we used to buy it at $.32/gal. If you figure out how much time you had to work to buy a gallon of gas in 1970 when it was $.32 vs how much time it takes now at $3.50. you had better be getting at least the same value or you are sweeping floors at McDonald's and that's nobodies fault but your own...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As much as people complain about the price of gas, I don't see them moving close enough to their jobs to walk, or trading in their cars for bicycles or horses. Relatively inexpensive hydrocarbons have been the biggest boon to the quality of life we enjoy.

Big business makes something everyone wants or needs and hence make a profit, I don't see how that is a crime? BTW, if you look at the Forbes 400, You'll find few of those listed made their fortunes from oil and gas, most from technology, investments, or food.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The book 'The Prize' by Daniel Yergen is a history of the oil industry. I recommend it.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

No, it's not.

Yes it is. Demand has fallen. Guess what the price of oil did? If the Saudi's had cut production, guess what the price will do?

I'm sure it's better to stomp your feet and claim it's the mid term elections, etc.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It took more than 100 years for a gallon of gas to get to $1.50 a gallon. It took less than 10 years for it to go to $4 gallon.

Dink

We all bitch about the price of gas, but it is like 22 ammunition. It hasn't gone up with the cost of everything else, when we see $3.50/gal when we used to buy it at $.32/gal. If you figure out how much time you had to work to buy a gallon of gas in 1970 when it was $.32 vs how much time it takes now at $3.50. you had better be getting at least the same value or you are sweeping floors at McDonald's and that's nobodies fault but your own...
word

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish I could give tours to refineries and the shops that keep them running. Then you'll ask why gas isn't $7.00 gallon all the time.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No, it's not.

Yes it is. Demand has fallen. Guess what the price of oil did? If the Saudi's had cut production, guess what the price will do?

I'm sure it's better to stomp your feet and claim it's the mid term elections, etc.

It is a bit more complex as it's not as simple as a factory producing widgets where the factory can simple crank up or throttle back the factory.

Every field has a few years were production peaks, then it starts a decline for the next 20, 30 or however many years it continues to produce. As a field ages it's more expensive to produce the oil, same number of workers, equipment that is wearing out and lower production.

If oil companies don't continually invest in new exploration, then they'll soon not be selling enough oil to cover their costs, but if they invest too much too soon they cut themselves off by putting too much oil on the market. Don't invest enough and they won't produce enough to keep the lights on no matter what the price of crude. Then you through in countries using oil as a political tool or weapon, traders and speculators and it's much more complex than simple supply and demand.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Dink

I wasn't around in 1970.....,, grin

In 2000 gas was 1.25ish in the Midwest. It's now three times that on average. Very few people (outside the oil field or health care) can say their wages are triple what the were in 2000.

Dink

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All this discussion on who makes how much, and why prices vary so much, and who's fault is the price of gasoline mandated by is WAY over what my poor thought process can comprehend. What I do know is that I'm headed for central South Dakota early Sunday morning, and would be both happy and surprised if prices are the same a week later as they are going out. I can't help myself for thinking the elections are more of an influence on current oil prices than anything else. Prices have dropped in NE Wisconsin around 50 cents/gal in the past month, a steady decline of 10 or more cents/week. Election coming Tuesday; yes I cast an absentee ballot.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.