Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I bought a package rifle from savage for my wife to shoot. I decided I would try it out and fill my cow tag. At a range of 130 yards on 3 different days I missed. Point blank range, cross hairs right in the kill zone. Nothing. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a lead cow, cross hairs right where they need to be. Nothing. Pull up again, try to put another toward her boiler room. Nothing. Fine, I'll shoot her in the head. Nothing. She turned ass towards me so I aimed at her opposite shoulder and tried to zip one up her. Nothing. Needless to say this has never ever ever happened to me. My hunting partners were pretty fed up with me missing when they push elk on top of me. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure if there is parallax in the scope or if it doesn't hold sight or what. Super frustrated.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would have probably headed to the range after missing at 130 yards to check zero.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
MachoKing - how much range time did you put in with the rifle before you took it in the field?

Did it shoot well for you then?

If I knew I did my part and never touched them - I would be shooting at paper to verify things before I went into the field a second time.

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Shot 30 rounds at the range. After I missed the first time I checked the zero and it was fine. I'm not rushing my shots and at that range it should hit. My trigger pull is 3 lbs so I doubt I'm jerking it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did you check to make sure there wasn't blood after you shot? Elk are good at absorbing hits without reaction.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I usually shoot a rem model 700 7mm RM. When I shoot at critters they go down. No issues. Just, trying to figure out if it's me or the gun.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Yeah I always check for blood. I don't want to toot my own horn but I'm a pretty decent tracker.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've killed around 12 elk with zero issues until this year. Hell, maybe I was getting excited. Still wouldn't explain all the misses.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sounds like if the gun was good at the range after the first miss that its all on you.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
All I can think is maybe I was flinching or blinking. Hard to remember what happened in the heat of the moment.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Either that or I'm mildly retarded. I think I need to do a little clay shooting and target shooting to get my confidence vack. Right now it is completely shot.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
adrenaline will do that.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's a "package rifle"?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You miss the boiler room and then try a head shot??? Then a Texas heart shot? You need to settle down and refine your shooting. If the rifle is zeroed, you need more practice. Were those misses in field positions, off hand or?? and then did you just shoot off the bench at the range????

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MachoKing
All I can think is maybe I was flinching or blinking. Hard to remember what happened in the heat of the moment.

I would say that right there was/is the problem "heat of the moment"
I encountered the same problem about 20 years ago. I got all heated up at the appearance of the animal. I started "throwing" my shots at them. when I had missed my 4th deer, I sat down and really had a talk with my self. I made a conscious effort to become icy calm after that. I imagined I was operating on a brain. cold, calm, precise. shoot like you are trying to hit one hair. worked for me. about 60 or so critters later and a equal number of rounds.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

My guess it is one of those deals where you get the whole "package" for one low price like $499. Base model rifle, throwaway scope/rings.

Last edited by Lonny; 10/30/14.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
These were all off hand shots. Couldn't get a rested shot because of a berm in between me and the animals. I think it was just my nerves. It's been a couple years since I even saw anything to shoot at. I think it's what deer stalker said. My bad. Better luck next time I guess.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I bought a package rifle from savage for my wife to shoot. I decided I would try it out and fill my cow tag. At a range of 130 yards on 3 different days I missed. Point blank range, cross hairs right in the kill zone. Nothing. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a lead cow, cross hairs right where they need to be. Nothing. Pull up again, try to put another toward her boiler room. Nothing. Fine, I'll shoot her in the head. Nothing. She turned ass towards me so I aimed at her opposite shoulder and tried to zip one up her. Nothing. Needless to say this has never ever ever happened to me. My hunting partners were pretty fed up with me missing when they push elk on top of me. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure if there is parallax in the scope or if it doesn't hold sight or what. Super frustrated.

Why do so many guys say we shoot smaller cartridges better? I thought only magnum lovers missed everything they aim at, or it goes in the gut yada yada yada... whistle. I'm also wondering what scope you are using, since you think it might be a parallax issue?? Are you getting buck fever? Cow fever? How does the rifle shoot at the range in field positions?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
It's a nikon pro staff bdc. I'm gonna call it cow fever. First time it's ever struck me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah I always check for blood. I don't want to toot my own horn but I'm a pretty decent tracker.

I suck at tracking, that's why I make the first shot count... whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's a nikon pro staff bdc. I'm gonna call it cow fever. First time it's ever struck me.

Practice your offhand shooting and see what kind of groups you shoot at that range ("130 yards"). Then consider a little adrenaline, heavy breathing and maybe some muscle fatigue and the groups open even more. Try practicing with different rifles too, you might be surprised at the difference in group size from one rifle to another. Hopefully you didn't wound any of the cows you were shooting at and better luck next time..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trolling..

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[quote=MachoKing Better luck next time I guess. [/quote]

a little practice will boost the luck factor I guess.....

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Trolling..

Caught a few whoppers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I watched my dad try to shoot a spine shot spike at close range with a 300 WM. He had to shoot tree times before getting him behind the ear. I dropped a southern white tail with one shot. When I walked up he was still looking at me. I fired at his head and missed. Took two shots at close range to kill him.

Chitty chooting runs in the family?......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One of my hunting partners is seriously angry at me for wanting to hunt with the .260.

seems that feller is smarter than I thought.......after that fiasco

Last edited by huntsman22; 10/30/14.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just a sidenote, this is the thread that convinced me to buy a .260. I got a savage model 11 with the 1 in 8 twist. I'm working midnight shift right now but I am super excited to get it out to the range. It should be able to fill my idaho cow tag!

You'd think it should......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was pretty much my thoughts from the git go....

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Haha. Normally I am an excellent shot I have just had a really off year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Chitty chooting runs in the family?......

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang???

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
bingo....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure what to do. Super frustrated.

Quit. Sell the guns and join a chess club, or something.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by laker
I would have probably headed to the range after missing at 130 yards to check zero.

For sure. At the least, borrowed a junker.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deerstalker

I would say that right there was/is the problem "heat of the moment"
I encountered the same problem about 20 years ago. I got all heated up at the appearance of the animal. I started "throwing" my shots at them. when I had missed my 4th deer, I sat down and really had a talk with my self. I made a conscious effort to become icy calm after that. I imagined I was operating on a brain. cold, calm, precise. shoot like you are trying to hit one hair. worked for me. about 60 or so critters later and a equal number of rounds.

I would say there's 3 dead cows out there, or R Loco is right. Probably the latter.

Last edited by eyeball; 10/30/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My vote is still that this is likely the bullchit thread of the week.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It has all the markings doesn't it!

I tend to use more than enough gun
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You sure there was actually elk in the scope?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
These were all off hand shots. Couldn't get a rested shot because of a berm in between me and the animals. I think it was just my nerves. It's been a couple years since I even saw anything to shoot at. I think it's what deer stalker said. My bad. Better luck next time I guess.

Bet that's the problem. How often do you really practice off hand shooting? Therec is a lotvof aur sround an elk and hustling the shot it's easy to jerk (flinch) clear off the vitals vBulletin of an elk.

If you cannot "call" the shoot...have a photo stop memory of where the crosshairs were when the hammrr fell despite the urgency and adrenalin you need a lot more practice.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm not sure what to do. Super frustrated.

Quit. Sell the guns and join a chess club, or something.

Don't mind Don. He's just mad 'cause you missed with his favorite, the .260.

He probably thinks you would've nailed it with an '06.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Title of the thread makes it sound like the caliber had something to do with the bad experience. Sounds like just poor shooting on your part. Offhand at over 100 yards is pretty tough. Only guys that shoot a lot and from that position can usually pull it off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salvage, .260, package deal, ass shot, etc. etc..

Gotta have an 8/0 hook to load all of that bait.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Punch your tag and wait for next year. You've shot this years quota.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Punch your tag and wait for next year. You've shot this years quota.

I agree!!!!

BSA MAGA
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
And they keep swallowing the hook.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've made shots like this off hand before. I guess I am out of practice. And no, I will not be selling all my guns! I've shot enough animals to know that when I miss, there is something incredibly wrong going on. I was just looking for some *helpful* advice. There were a few people that echoed my same thoughts. I was probably flinching and dipping the rifle.

I tracked each animal for 2-3 hours to be sure. I am not one to leave game in the field.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
It is salmon season so...

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You caught a few.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm honestly not trying to troll. For once in my life.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Shouldn't you be in school?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Vinny?? Is that you?

1st Bn 5th Marines Wpns Co. 03-07
Semper Fidelis
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had the same problem with my .260 on an antelope this week. Except that the gun shoots under a half inch at 200 yds with anyone shooting it.........
I would check to see if the as issued from savage scope is junk first , I don't believe the scopes on most package deals are worth giving a five yr. old to play with let alone hunt with......

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I've made shots like this off hand before. I guess I am out of practice. And no, I will not be selling all my guns! I've shot enough animals to know that when I miss, there is something incredibly wrong going on. I was just looking for some *helpful* advice. There were a few people that echoed my same thoughts. I was probably flinching and dipping the rifle.

I tracked each animal for 2-3 hours to be sure. I am not one to leave game in the field.

YGBFSM. You are either a bs troll or you are crazy, or both. On not one occasion could you kneel and shoot off a knee or shoot from a sitting position or get a rest on the side of a tree?

Yep, RL called it

Last edited by eyeball; 10/31/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM

Hook,line & boat

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What kind of bullets are you using in that.260?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
wax.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took my .260 out hunting this weekend. Big buck jumped up and I couldn't get a shot off in time.

I'm having .260 problems too!!!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mines been carried for a month, and I can't even find an elk to miss once, let alone 3 days/3 times. Talk about the luck....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
At a range of 130 yards on 3 different days I missed. Point blank range, cross hairs right in the kill zone. I'm not sure what to do.

sick sick

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
So...A little update. Went to take the scope off to put on a new Leupold and heavens to betsy, I could turn the scope easily by hand and the mounts were even loose. FML. THIS is why you never trust a factory mount job.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Heavens to betsy!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
thank goodness you didn't wait a whole year to look at it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Been there.
Several years ago, I took a bad fall on loose shale and really dinged up my scope. I shot it several times and it seemed fine. But then, I shot an elk from about 150 yds. I hit way to the left and spined it. I got within 10 yds for a kill shot but I could just barely fit a bullet through the brush to her neck. It took me 4 shots to hit it in the neck, and that was from a solid rest.

Back to the range. I could put 3 or 4 inside an inch but then it would jump 4" to one side or the other. I screwed with it a long time then replaced the scope. Same thing. It took me a long time to figure that one out.

The rifle has Leupold bases & rings - the type with a dovetail on both sides of the rear ring and a cupped screw on each side to adjust windage. When I fell, part of the dovetail on the ring sheared off. I couldn't move it by hand so I couldn't feel movement but the recoil of the 300 WSM sure could shift it. It would shoot great for several rounds, then move a little. I replaced the rings and voila', it was back to a MOA rifle. I probably fired 100 rounds from the bench before I solved that one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

What's wrong with that? I look at my rifle every year, usually when I go to Cabela's to buy my box of ammo. for that year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny

My guess it is one of those deals where you get the whole "package" for one low price like $499. Base model rifle, throwaway scope/rings.

Sounds like Lonny made the call.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

What's wrong with that? I look at my rifle every year, usually when I go to Cabela's to buy my box of ammo. for that year.

If you were any kind of rifleman, a box would last you more than a year.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by smokepole

If you were any kind of rifleman, a box would last you more than a year.

I bought a box 19 years ago... Need to start looking for a replacement.. wink

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Makes a lot of sense as to why I resighted it at elk camp and had to make some pretty significant adjustments at 100 yards. Then riding the 4 wheeler/hiking probably boogered it all up again. I love the rifle though. The .260 is very enjoyable to shoot, low recoil, NORMALLY goes where you want it (unless your scope is looser than a Vegas stripper.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4 wheeler..

Where do you hunt again?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Holyt K-riste in a handbasket! You can sight in a rifle and not notice the scope mounts AND the scope is loose????

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So...A little update. Went to take the scope off to put on a new Leupold and heavens to betsy, I could turn the scope easily by hand and the mounts were even loose. FML. THIS is why you never trust a factory mount job.

I had to read the entire thread twice before I believed this.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Careful what you say on this forum.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
As for the 4 Wheeler comment, no I don't hunt from a 4 Wheeler. I ride to the end of the road and then walk in another 5 miles. 2. The scope was just tight enough to make a nice group from the bench. 3. Some people are a little too presumptuous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
god I hope it's not montana..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please tell me you're from texass and hunt in colorado.. please, please, please..

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When you guys buy a computer, a truck, or an ATV, do you go over every bolt to make sure it's torqued right? When you buy something, you expect it to be assembled right. Most of the package guns are done well and bore sighted. He appears to have got the exception.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C'mon, apples and oranges.. Anyways, he experienced a malfunction, and didn't check what anyone would have checked. On a rifle or a truck..

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Damn, I read 8 pages of BS and the OP waits two months to finally decide to do what he should have done after the first miss and that was to thoroughly check the scope, rings, and bases! He's a MatchoKing alright, LOL, and I hope he doesn't hunt in Wyoming!

Last edited by mikeylikes; 03/30/15.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyways, he experienced a malfunction.....

I think the only malfunction is people taking him seriously.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
You know what. I didn't grow up with someone to teach me about guns. I have had to learn on my own. Sometimes these lessons are learned the hard way. It's awesome that the rest of you are so perfect. Or a bunch of crotchety old bitches. I am not from Texas, I'm from Idaho. Now get off your high horse.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Originally Posted by SLM

Hook,line & boat

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
And between training and the constant deployments I don't get much of a chance to hunt or shoot for that matter. I'm just looking for advice and assistance and it seems like I won't get that here, just a bunch of snarky comments.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you're fulla chit.

bye..

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

With the "constant deployments," it looks like the ragheads are pretty safe from MachoKing's boolits.

Prolly might learn something from his gunny Sergeant, for sure.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You know what. I didn't grow up with someone to teach me about guns.

Me either. But I know BS when I see it. Learned that all by myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually shoot a rem model 700 7mm RM. When I shoot at critters they go down. No issues. Just, trying to figure out if it's me or the gun.

If you can shoot the 7Rem. Mag 2with out flinching how are you
going to be flinching with a 260 which has less recoil??
Some thing wlse is going on here loose rings, base not tight but something is just not right! Good lock in sorting it out. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I didn't grow up with someone to teach me about guns. I have had to learn on my own. Sometimes these lessons are learned the hard way.

And between training and the constant deployments I don't get much of a chance to hunt or shoot for that matter.

This train wreck has likely run it's course, but these two quotes jumped out for me. "Constant deployments" sounds military to me, but then "I didn't grow up with someone to teach me about guns" seems like a big contradiction.

Regardless - whether MachoKing is military or not, I never let anyone mount scopes on any of my rifles. I've had reputable shops offer to do so with a rifle purchase and always decline. I always take the time to degrease threads, blue Loktite the base screws, check ring alignment with steel bars and lap if necessary, and position the scope for proper eye relief. I wouldn't trust any shop to install a scope and go through the same process I do myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As for the 4 Wheeler comment, no I don't hunt from a 4 Wheeler. I ride to the end of the road and then walk in another 5 miles. 2. The scope was just tight enough to make a nice group from the bench. 3. Some people are a little too presumptuous.

Let's see 5 miles hiking in elk country - that's minimum 2-1/2 hours in and 2-1/2 hours out. Got it.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 04/17/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.