Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I bought a package rifle from savage for my wife to shoot. I decided I would try it out and fill my cow tag. At a range of 130 yards on 3 different days I missed. Point blank range, cross hairs right in the kill zone. Nothing. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a lead cow, cross hairs right where they need to be. Nothing. Pull up again, try to put another toward her boiler room. Nothing. Fine, I'll shoot her in the head. Nothing. She turned ass towards me so I aimed at her opposite shoulder and tried to zip one up her. Nothing. Needless to say this has never ever ever happened to me. My hunting partners were pretty fed up with me missing when they push elk on top of me. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure if there is parallax in the scope or if it doesn't hold sight or what. Super frustrated.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would have probably headed to the range after missing at 130 yards to check zero.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
MachoKing - how much range time did you put in with the rifle before you took it in the field?

Did it shoot well for you then?

If I knew I did my part and never touched them - I would be shooting at paper to verify things before I went into the field a second time.

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Shot 30 rounds at the range. After I missed the first time I checked the zero and it was fine. I'm not rushing my shots and at that range it should hit. My trigger pull is 3 lbs so I doubt I'm jerking it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did you check to make sure there wasn't blood after you shot? Elk are good at absorbing hits without reaction.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I usually shoot a rem model 700 7mm RM. When I shoot at critters they go down. No issues. Just, trying to figure out if it's me or the gun.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Yeah I always check for blood. I don't want to toot my own horn but I'm a pretty decent tracker.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've killed around 12 elk with zero issues until this year. Hell, maybe I was getting excited. Still wouldn't explain all the misses.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sounds like if the gun was good at the range after the first miss that its all on you.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
All I can think is maybe I was flinching or blinking. Hard to remember what happened in the heat of the moment.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Either that or I'm mildly retarded. I think I need to do a little clay shooting and target shooting to get my confidence vack. Right now it is completely shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
adrenaline will do that.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's a "package rifle"?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You miss the boiler room and then try a head shot??? Then a Texas heart shot? You need to settle down and refine your shooting. If the rifle is zeroed, you need more practice. Were those misses in field positions, off hand or?? and then did you just shoot off the bench at the range????

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MachoKing
All I can think is maybe I was flinching or blinking. Hard to remember what happened in the heat of the moment.

I would say that right there was/is the problem "heat of the moment"
I encountered the same problem about 20 years ago. I got all heated up at the appearance of the animal. I started "throwing" my shots at them. when I had missed my 4th deer, I sat down and really had a talk with my self. I made a conscious effort to become icy calm after that. I imagined I was operating on a brain. cold, calm, precise. shoot like you are trying to hit one hair. worked for me. about 60 or so critters later and a equal number of rounds.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
What's a "package rifle"?

My guess it is one of those deals where you get the whole "package" for one low price like $499. Base model rifle, throwaway scope/rings.

Last edited by Lonny; 10/30/14.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
These were all off hand shots. Couldn't get a rested shot because of a berm in between me and the animals. I think it was just my nerves. It's been a couple years since I even saw anything to shoot at. I think it's what deer stalker said. My bad. Better luck next time I guess.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I bought a package rifle from savage for my wife to shoot. I decided I would try it out and fill my cow tag. At a range of 130 yards on 3 different days I missed. Point blank range, cross hairs right in the kill zone. Nothing. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a lead cow, cross hairs right where they need to be. Nothing. Pull up again, try to put another toward her boiler room. Nothing. Fine, I'll shoot her in the head. Nothing. She turned ass towards me so I aimed at her opposite shoulder and tried to zip one up her. Nothing. Needless to say this has never ever ever happened to me. My hunting partners were pretty fed up with me missing when they push elk on top of me. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure if there is parallax in the scope or if it doesn't hold sight or what. Super frustrated.

Why do so many guys say we shoot smaller cartridges better? I thought only magnum lovers missed everything they aim at, or it goes in the gut yada yada yada... whistle. I'm also wondering what scope you are using, since you think it might be a parallax issue?? Are you getting buck fever? Cow fever? How does the rifle shoot at the range in field positions?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
It's a nikon pro staff bdc. I'm gonna call it cow fever. First time it's ever struck me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah I always check for blood. I don't want to toot my own horn but I'm a pretty decent tracker.

I suck at tracking, that's why I make the first shot count... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
152 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 160user, 14 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.