Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Robert Traver is mandatory reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Trout-Madness...77&sr=8-6&keywords=robert+traver

A quote: �I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly. Because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape. Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion. Because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed, or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility, and endless patience."

Last edited by JoeMama; 11/04/14.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No moose season. No wolf season this year. Deer season isn't what it was in the late 80s and 90s but still better than the early to mid 80s when I started hunting deer. Norway is in the "banana belt" their winters don't seem as bad as the west end and the keewenaw, what I'm familiar with. Overall a nice place to live if you enjoy the outdoors. Little bay de noc is a good walleye fishery.

Just some random thoughts.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
You all are getting me excited! I should hear sometime this week if I am the guy they want.

Are there any tree squirrels to hunt? I grew hunting them with my dad in AZ but haven't done it in years. Sure would like to do that again.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We have good populations of grey squirrels (both grey and black color phases) and a few fox squirrels here in 'da UP. Red squirrels are very common. The past couple of winters have done a number on the deer herd but there are still enough to hunt.

Bear hunting is good but tags are by lottery only. I doubt if there will ever be a moose hunt. The moose are mostly north in the Lake Superior watershed.

Grouse hunting is good in the up years and fair in the down years. Waterfowl hunting is spotty. Fishing is decent, depending on where you go and what you're after.

I live about 50 miles from Norway and would be happy to be of service if you move here.

The winters are long and cold, but there are lots of warm people here.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 11/05/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bluffview
No moose season. No wolf season this year. Deer season isn't what it was in the late 80s and 90s but still better than the early to mid 80s when I started hunting deer. Norway is in the "banana belt" their winters don't seem as bad as the west end and the keewenaw, what I'm familiar with. Overall a nice place to live if you enjoy the outdoors. Little bay de noc is a good walleye fishery.

Just some random thoughts.

Pretty much this.

Family is from the UP, it's the only place I've ever really deer hunted (a little in Wisco but not much).

Little Bay de Noc is an outstanding walleye factory and it, combined with Big bay is better than most for smallmouth too.

If you can get in the fields, goose hunting can be outstanding too.

Deer numbers are down and I doubt with the wolves that they'll be back to where they were when I was a youth. In the 90-2000's there were nights when I'd have as many as 20 to 25 different deer in front of me at any one time. Now 6 is doing pretty good but the deer are still here, just have to work harder.

A UP deer camp is simply like no other. Living in Wisconsin but hunting MI I've seen both and you'd think they'd be the same but they're not. It's not better, just different.

Hunting style is different.

Haven't seen a woodcock in the woods in a long time but I did jump a rooster pheasant last weekend. Grouse numbers are decent at times. Coyotes are plentiful - just that I can't shoot them for some reason as a non-resident which makes no phugging sense.

Me

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
(1) Deer season in DA U.P. starts around July 4th. , or whenever the freezer runs out of deer meat.

(2) The woods is empty Opening day of deer season because everyone got their deer the night before.

(3) Teal is right, Wisconinsin deer camps are different than U.P. deer camps . U.P deer camps really are like Escanaba In Da moonlight when the warden walks in.
(3A) Deer hunting sucks in many cases cause everyone baits and can really ruin the hunting. There is a writeup on a U.P. deer camp in the NRA Rifleman magazine.

(4) Yes, there are parts of Da U.P. where there is still snow on Memorial day.

(5) Pastys suck.

(6) The people are frindly though.

We go there every year. It is some of the most beatuful land you will find but it is better as you go north. Along Lake Superior is unreal . Here are some pics of DA U.P. It may not compare to Idaho or AZ. though. And I was wondering about you Dan, and if you got a job. You don't post very often. [Linked Image][URL=http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/ihookem1/media/family%20fun/100_1082.jpg.html]http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4%3C3%3C%3Dot%3E33%3A5%3D829%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E26657%3A89%3A7255ot1lsi

Last edited by ihookem; 11/06/14.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Still waiting to hear on this position. Should hear sometime this week or next. Lots of interviews but no hires at this point. I am working in the sporting goods department of our Walmart right now to keep some cash coming in.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Da UP is as close to heaven as I've seen in the lower 48.

...and heck yes, lotsa squirrels.

Hope ya love Favre though. Might wanta rescind yer ap if you don't; you'd be more qualified if you weren't too sure about the virgin birth wink .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Spent the day in the UP preparing for opener next Sat.

Saw 13 does in 300 yards down the road.

2 8 pointers, 2 10 pointers on the cameras, as recently as 730 this morning. Might actually turn out decent.

Also saw a 150 class buck standing in the ditch just 200 yards south of Naser's in Powers. He was there watching cars go by. Damned near wrecked mine trying to get a better look at him.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
damn - calling for 8-12 inches of snow across much of the UP by Tuesday am. Could be a great hunt next weekend.

Me

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dad's heading up to Camp, off the Foster City Rd on wednesday. Bet he doesn't even take a gun-he'll just keep the everyone company in camp-sort out the worlds problems over a few PBR's

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hunted the east end of the UP a few years. Very odd experience, especially seeing the pallets of carrots and beats at the gas stations. Sitting in a cold blind for hours staring at nothing made me want to turn the gun on myself...might be ok if I was actually seeing deer, haha.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got Escanaba in da Moonlight on right now!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dad and two of the uncles are on their way now, should be making the required stop at the rapid river pub about now.

Sure would rather be there than here at work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All yous flatlanders, cheeseheads, trolls and appleknockers best stay where yer at. No need for yous guyz in da UP, there aint no deer dere anymore!! laugh

Eat moose, burn spruce
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dad and two of the uncles are on their way now, should be making the required stop at the rapid river pub about now.

Sure would rather be there than here at work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pittu
All yous flatlanders, cheeseheads, trolls and appleknockers best stay where yer at. No need for yous guyz in da UP, there aint no deer dere anymore!! laugh

Nope - own land in the UP, been there over 100 years.

Brother's been hunting this week with the bow. Confirming some things we were seeing on camera. He missed a good 10 point today with the bow but that's only 1 of 3 different 10 points we've seen on the property, along with 3 different 8 pointers and a pile of spikes/forks - could be a good season.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike
I got Escanaba in da Moonlight on right now!

shocked eek

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Spoke with a representative of the church this evening and they want to have one more interview to clarify a few things but was told I was at the top of the list.

The interview is Tuesday evening.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You will probably get here just in time for the temperature to drop to 30 below zero every night for a month and a half. That should give you something to look forward to!

Good luck with your interview.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 11/16/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
362 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.