Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I don't see making it easier or socially acceptable benefiting society one iota, quite the contrary.

Being illegal doesn't stop people from using it, any more than prohibition stopped people from using alcohol.
Many billions of taxpayers dollars are spent every year on arresting people for using marijuana, throwing them in jail, trying them, convicting them, and them putting them in prison...all paid for by the U.S. taxpayer.
What a waste of money and resources...

You claim Billions of tax dollars spent, I'm sure you have stats and figures on this, so you must also have stats a figures on how much $money$ has been payed to municipalities in the way of fines etc.

Compare the two for us, please.

How much money has been spent and how much money has been taken in.

Thanks.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, is it your position, Steve, that if taxpayers are spending over 40 billion dollars per year on the war on marijuana...that expenditure is getting 'evened out' due to the finrs that the offenders are paying...?

Using Colorado as an example...Marijuana-related arrests � which make up 50% of all drug-related crimes � have plummeted in Colorado, freeing up law enforcement to focus on other criminal activity. By removing marijuana penalties, the state saved up to $40 million in 2012 alone, according to the Colorado Center on Law and Policy.

And they project to bring in over $100 million in tax revenue for 2014, with sales totaling $1 billion in 2014...and that's just for Colorado.

Does anybody here still think the war on marijuana, just like the war on all drugs, is profitable...? It's easy to find information on the miserably failed war on drugs...as well as it's staggering cost to taxpayers.
And for a highly addictive intoxicant (alcohol) to be OK, despite the physical and financial damage it does to our country...while outlawing marijuana...that just makes no sense. And a lot of people who are opposed to marijuana legalization are likely alcohol drinkers.

"I want to be able to legally use 'my' substance of abuse...but I don't want others to be legally able to use 'their' substance of abuse."

lol

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By removing marijuana penalties, the state saved up to $40 million in 2012 alone, according to the Colorado Center on Law and Policy.

So the state saved $40 million by not fining people? Is that what this means?

Doesn't make sense. If the fines didn't cover the cost of fining, then the fines were not high enough.

Doomed to fail. As it was intended to give folks a manufactured talking point.

Otherwise, the data is incorrect, and you simply repeated it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I gather is that the state saved over $40 million for that one year by not messing with any of it, period. Arrests, law enforcement costs, courts costs, fines, etc....all taken into consideration.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So did they lower property taxes or anything? What did they do with that magical $40 million?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck no...and even though they project a $100 million tax revenue for the first year from marijuana sales alone, it'll be a cold day in hell before they lower property taxes or do something good like that for taxpayers.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
More EBT? Where is the money going? I'm sure since they saved so much and had to do so many less arrests that police numbers have dropped? Less people working in the prison system?

Nope, none of that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This was the plan in 2013:

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper has announced a plan to start spending nearly $100 million in marijuana tax money, the first signal of how much Colorado is reaping from recreational pot sales and what it plans to do with the funds.

The governor announced plans Wednesday to spend $99 million next fiscal year on six priorities. They include $45.5 million for youth use prevention, $40.4 million for substance abuse treatment and $12.4 million for public health.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

The governor announced plans Wednesday to spend $99 million next fiscal year on six priorities. They include $45.5 million for youth use prevention, $40.4 million for substance abuse treatment and $12.4 million for public health.

I find it ironic that the war on drugs is such a big [bleep] joke to some people, but the fact that they legalize dope, and spend the first 0.1 Billion dollars made off of it on programs to prevent folks from using it and treating some that are.

geez...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Good thing they saved $40 million by making it legal....

I'm sure a Californian will be along soon to explain how MORE government regulation and laws equals FREEDOM!

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RWE
I find it ironic that the war on drugs is such a big [bleep] joke to some people, but the fact that they legalize dope, and spend the first 0.1 Billion dollars made off of it on programs to prevent folks from using it and treating some that are.

geez...

Not ironic at all since the first thing critics of the war on drugs will say is that the money should be spent on prevention and treatment, not incarceration. And it's illegal for youth and 45% of the money goes to youth prevention.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
So, is it your position, Steve, that if taxpayers are spending over 40 billion dollars per year on the war on marijuana...that expenditure is getting 'evened out' due to the finrs that the offenders are paying...?

Using Colorado as an example...Marijuana-related arrests � which make up 50% of all drug-related crimes � have plummeted in Colorado, freeing up law enforcement to focus on other criminal activity. By removing marijuana penalties, the state saved up to $40 million in 2012 alone, according to the Colorado Center on Law and Policy.

And they project to bring in over $100 million in tax revenue for 2014, with sales totaling $1 billion in 2014...and that's just for Colorado.

Does anybody here still think the war on marijuana, just like the war on all drugs, is profitable...? It's easy to find information on the miserably failed war on drugs...as well as it's staggering cost to taxpayers.
And for a highly addictive intoxicant (alcohol) to be OK, despite the physical and financial damage it does to our country...while outlawing marijuana...that just makes no sense. And a lot of people who are opposed to marijuana legalization are likely alcohol drinkers.

"I want to be able to legally use 'my' substance of abuse...but I don't want others to be legally able to use 'their' substance of abuse."

lol

Colorado Center on Law and Policy
"A nonprofit, nonpartisan research and advocacy organization seeking justice and economic security for all Coloradans."
This is a left wing community organizer hotbed. Not a good source for the truth.

Run by Claire Levy, a former Democrat representative and Boulderite. nuff said

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Where is the money going?

Probably wasted on some other worthless expenditures...they didnt get 17 or 18 trillion dollars in debt because they're fiscally prudent.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What I gather is that the state saved over $40 million for that one year by not messing with any of it, period. Arrests, law enforcement costs, courts costs, fines, etc....all taken into consideration.

Again, you apparently don't understand what the the word SAVED means.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

Just because the government turns around and spends the $$ like they do doesn't make the war on drugs any less of a "big plucking joke" than it is. The government has spent over a trillion dollars of taxpayers money so far on the war on drugs, and it hasn't done a bit of good. Drugs and drug use are still rampant in our country. You simply can't stop people from using the stuff...plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Again, you apparently don't understand what the the word SAVED means.

I understand it well enough...they SAVED it on one thing...and then turned around and WASTED it all on something else.

WASTE is synonymous with government...from the local level all the way up.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As already pointed out several times your numbers are not only flawed, they are down right lies.

I have one question for you though, How did the State of CO and Law Enforcement save this Money?

Did they lay off that many officers, or any other Government employees?

Did they save it an vehicle expenses, transportation costs, office supplies, what? What operating expenses has the State of CO actually cut back on to "Save" the 40 Million dollars?

If no officers or other government employees were laid off and no major operating costs were eliminated then they didn't save dime.,they just shifted much needed money from LE to other Social programs.

Last edited by steve4102; 10/31/14.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102
As already pointed out several times your numbers are not only flawed, they are down right lies.

Firstoff, they're not "my" numbers.

Point out the "lies", specifically, Steve.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Arrests, law enforcement costs, courts costs, fines, etc....all taken into consideration.

Myths espoused by the marijuana lobby. Legalization needs to happen on the Federal level if these people expect an end to prohibition. Most people can't afford to break Federal laws, whether the State allows it, or not.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I can't believe anybody would thing that any "good" would come from legalization.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 53 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.