Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Can you gut a post mil and fill it with pre mil parts? Obvious safety issues, what else?

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/29/14.

LOL
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some individual parts, I'm sure. All of them? Maybe 900,000 series to 99E's. Otherwise you have a conflict with lever safety configuration on a tang safety receiver.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have similar problem. I have a post mill 99E stripped receiver with the SN on the side of the receiver and no counter window - it left the factory as q 308 win. I got a bunch of older 99 parts. I guess it will be a learning project... Mel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should be OK as long as you use a "long action" carrier group. Pretty much the only difference with a post mil E is the lack of the cartridge counter window. Probably need a bit of hand fitting. wink frown

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Can you gut a post mil and fill it with pre mil parts? Obvious safety issues, what else?

As long as I live, I'll just never understand. Why would anyone want to buy a rifle and immediately start dicking with it? You buy a "project", and do whatever it is you plan to do with it. YOU still have a non-original rifle in a non-"original" configuration. There are literally thousands of original shooters out there to be had. When I get home from work I want to shoot my guns not work on them as well. I understand to each his own. This is just my cut on it. FWIW.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
As long as I live, I'll just never understand. Why would anyone want to buy a rifle and immediately start dicking with it? You buy a "project", and do whatever it is you plan to do with it. YOU still have a non-original rifle in a non-"original" configuration. There are literally thousands of original shooters out there to be had. When I get home from work I want to shoot my guns not work on them as well. I understand to each his own. This is just my cut on it. FWIW.

So says the man who built his own Stith, despite the fact there are tens of thousands of originals out there. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
That's correct. But I "thought" we were talking rifles. My re-pro Stith will never be for sale. Nor with the Lyman 54 I made. I'm not dissing anyone for doing it, I just think of a rifle as a thing of engineering brilliance. I would rather have one in original used condition than one that has been worked on. It's just me and "to each his own". BTW, try building a Stith or a 54. Once you do, you'll quickly realize a deep respect of the craftsmen of a hundred years ago. Everything was done manually. Today all you need is a measurement and a computer aided machine. Stand back and watch. Thanks for the reply, Rory.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Skidrow
You should be OK as long as you use a "long action" carrier group. Pretty much the only difference with a post mil E is the lack of the cartridge counter window. Probably need a bit of hand fitting. wink frown

^
Yes this ^! ...

The safety difference makes interchange between post-mill tang safety receivers and pre-mill internals a no-go because you'll have a firearm with no functioning safety. The whole sear assembly being the critical difference between the two. (I'd love to see the internals of one of those dual safety aftermarket tang safeties fit to a pre-mill though!)

Much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with LBK on this one. At some point the tinkerbell effect becomes absurd, or worse, dangerous!

Last edited by JeffG; 10/30/14.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For the record, I have no project in hand or mind, I'm just curious how many parts interchange. JeffG educated me on the 284 receiver being different than the rest. I was curious if basic pre and post mil receivers had differences (besides safeties).

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

So says the man who built his own Stith, despite the fact there are tens of thousands of originals out there. grin

Yeah, Everybody has an opinion. crazy When someone's (no names) 99 needs work that same someone will be looking for a guy to fix it that has spent a great deal of time on the inside of one, working on them, rather than just shooting them.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

ROY
IF YA BUILD IT THEY WILL COME. grin

AS MOST SAID LONG ACTION PARTS are Interchangeable to a Point.
Always Admire your out of the box thinking.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The sear and trigger arrangement are totally different. There's not enough interchangeability to even consider it. Move on to the next daydream.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Are the receivers machined the same, again, with the exception of the safety?

edited to add- JUST CURIOUS. Not trying to get anyone's hackles up by asking a simple question.

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/30/14.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No. The magazine was changed at 900,000 and is like the post mil in that respect so it depends on which pre mil SN range we are talking about. But, it's still not worth considering.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No. Even with the E which is almost a pre-mil there are differences. The cocked indicator is larger. The screw that locks the carrier group in place is larger. Through in the tang safety and you open up a whole 'nother can of worms. I'm sure that there are a few other differences that I've forgotten to mention.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
COME ON MAN!

DO NOT BE MONKEYING AROUND! AND THAT INCLUDES CERAKOTING,TINKERING,FIXING, DREAMING.

THESE ARE 99'S YOU KNOW!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Geez, if this disturbs you then take time to look at what mil-surp collectors are doing to 1903 and 03A3 Springfields. I bet there have been more of them torn down and reconfigured in garages and on kitchen tables in the name of "correcting" than the U.S. Government did in two world war's worth of rebuilding programs! It really does cast a pall of suspicion on all such rifles you look at in the future.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Skidrow

No. Even with the E which is almost a pre-mil there are differences. The cocked indicator is larger. The screw that locks the carrier group in place is larger. Through in the tang safety and you open up a whole 'nother can of worms. I'm sure that there are a few other differences that I've forgotten to mention.

George you are the man, that's what I wanted to know. Just because. smile Thank you all!

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're welcome Roy. Still no warm showers though! wink grin

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You'll weaken...

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 72 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.