24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, it's finally finished... and it looks and handles great!

I bought my CZ550 in .458WM a while ago and I thought it was nearly perfect but not quite. So I took it to Bob at Kudu Services and after he worked his magic on it is now perfect!

To make it perfect he did the following;

Cut back the barrel to 21"
Shorten the fore-end and fit buffalo horn tip
Fitted cross-bolts

To finish making it perfect I did the following;

Smoothed and polished feeding ramp
Fitted 2.5X Pentax long eye-relief scope in rock solid Warne mounts
Fitted sling swivel to barrel

And that's it! All I need to do now is work up some loads with the Raptor 420gr HP and solids to 2250-2300fps and I'm set for anything from deer to elephants.
I am one happy hunter at the moment smile [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by BadboyMelvin; 10/31/14.

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice ideed! Now go find yourself a mob of buffalo "outback"!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Will do!!!

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Good looking rifle.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Very nice

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very nice rig you've got there.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
Very nice rig you've got there.

My sentiments, exactly. Ready to go after whatever, whenever, and wherever! You have every right to be proud of it.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks very much guys. I must say I am proud!
I am one happy hunter at the moment... but that may all change tomorrow when I'm on the bench with it sighting it in!! The barrels a bit shorter now and she's a bit lighter too... so I'll keep you posted!

Last edited by BadboyMelvin; 11/01/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Am I the only one noticing the glaring fault(?) - the bolt's on the wrong side.

Looks absolutely great. I'd be proud too. Rifles like yours are the only thing that makes me wish I was right handed.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Am I the only one noticing the glaring fault(?) - the bolt's on the wrong side.

Looks absolutely great. I'd be proud too. Rifles like yours are the only thing that makes me wish I was right handed.

Well I asked what it what cost to swap the bolt over and it just cost to much! Lol!!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BadboyMelvin
Thanks very much guys. I must say I am proud!
I am one happy hunter at the moment... but that may all change tomorrow when I'm on the bench with it sighting it in!! The barrels a bit shorter now and she's a bit lighter too... so I'll keep you posted!

If allowed to do so, place a small shooting shelf on one of the shooting range roof support 4x's and shoot using that as your rest while standing up. With the bigs, we do not care about getting a 1/2 inch group, coffee cup sized groups are just fine and one is not getting his body beat upon nearly so bad as when shooting from a typical benchrest position. Next best option is to pile up enough sandbags or whatever to shoot while sitting down with your posture (back) straight and not leaning over and into the rifle. The rifle will win that battle, every time.

Lead sleds make shooting the bigs a breeze, but can occasionally break a stock or damage the bedding job since now 100% of the recoil is being absorbed by the wood and bedding. I have used them some, but my 416 has a large Diameter Stainless Steel bolt steelbedded into the grip (in addition to the two recoil bolts and a bedded in barrel lug) and wears better than average Turkish Walnut.

Good luck, and please do report back!

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You can also place a sack of #9 lead shot between you and the butt. Works very well.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My hunting pard uses a modified music stand. Sets it on top of the bench and stands to shoot his 458Win, 416Rigby, and 375 H&H. Works great.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by calikooknic
My hunting pard uses a modified music stand. Sets it on top of the bench and stands to shoot his 458Win, 416Rigby, and 375 H&H. Works great.

That is a TERRIFIC Idea! I have been posting here and sharing ideas for almost ten years, and I just gained an awesome tip.

None of us knows it all, thank you for that one.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That is a great idea!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Or just buck up and shoot the dang thing. I put about 18 rounds through the Lott from the Bench the other day and after the first round, rather enjoyed it grin

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Or just buck up and shoot the dang thing. I put about 18 rounds through the Lott from the Bench the other day and after the first round, rather enjoyed it grin

Good answer! Lol!

Last edited by BadboyMelvin; 11/08/14.

Beautiful, very good looking, indeed!
But .. when you say "from deer to elephants.", I'm afraid for deers ...

Howa 1500 .300WM Scope Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 x40 + Parallaxe
CZ 550 9.3x62 Mauser Scope Leupold VX2 3-9x40
Marlin 1895 45-70 Scope Hawke Endurance 30 1.25-4.5x24
12 Gauge O/U 18" barrel
Cool!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 16penny, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.