Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I guess I'm sort of weird but I have a fixation on any knife that has to do with Hunting. These would be commercial knives. I have half a dozen Bucks some over 40 years old and a couple could probably have blade replacement and a bunch of others. Now, that said, has anybody tried or use one of the Ulu's? I don't know why but they have been intriguing me lately. Like I said, I guess I'm just weird when it comes to knives.

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
You're not weird! Never used an ulu, but I think it was because I never had one.

PS
I love traditional puukkos and leukus! So I suppose we both could be classified as weird!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/31/14.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Naw. They've been made out of slate, obsidian, copper?, and steel (probably some others) variously over the last 15K years or so. Just for looks to sell to tourists.

Sales were slow for the first 14,900 years.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It works well for fleshing hides. I haven't used it for anything else.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ulu's used to be all the local women would use to fillet salmon in Alaska. They could butterfly a salmon with just three cuts.

Works great for skinning and in the kitchen too. Must be the "womens knife" stigma that kept sales slow for the first 14,900 years or so.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I carry a Normark skinning axe in my hunting kit, it's an ulu on a stick basically. Keep it razor sharp and it's great for skinning but you can also use it to split a sternum or pelvis, kill pike you catch, cut tent poles and firewood, split tender, sharpen tent stakes, you get the idea. It isn't the only tool I carry but it is handy

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have a magnum ulu from knives of Alaska and like it a lot for skinning and fleshing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a three last year. One was a new one from Knives of Alaska that is pretty well made. One from Knives of Alaska set that came with a wooden board hollowed out for chopping. It is lighter duty. Both of these will most likely stay in the kitchen. The last one (ebay) was made from a saw blade with a deer tine handle and a piece of moose antler for a base to set the knife when not in use. I plan to try it for skinning but forgot when I was skinning a doe the other day. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why are Knives of Alaska made in Texas? smile Shouldn't they be Knives of Texas?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have watched salmon being fileted with an Ulu, and I think they are overrated. I don't see it doing any better of a job, or any quicker than a good fillet knife. What I do see is people having to get their other hand closer to the blade, increasing the chance of a accident.

I am inexperienced at cutting land game, or skinning so I can't comment there, but as for fish, give me a good long blade.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I have watched salmon being fileted with an Ulu, and I think they are overrated. I don't see it doing any better of a job, or any quicker than a good fillet knife. What I do see is people having to get their other hand closer to the blade, increasing the chance of a accident.

I am inexperienced at cutting land game, or skinning so I can't comment there, but as for fish, give me a good long blade.
It's apparent you've never watched a competent Ulu wielder tackle a salmon. Seeing those in the know filleting large Kings with an Ulu is a display in efficiency and efficacy of motion. They also work well for fleshing bears.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like I said, I haven't tried one but the long curved surface should be good for skinning larger animals. If I can remember, I will see on the next one I kill. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by coyote268
I guess I'm sort of weird but I have a fixation on any knife that has to do with Hunting. These would be commercial knives. I have half a dozen Bucks some over 40 years old and a couple could probably have blade replacement and a bunch of others. Now, that said, has anybody tried or use one of the Ulu's? I don't know why but they have been intriguing me lately. Like I said, I guess I'm just weird when it comes to knives.

I have a couple of homemade ones made from a saw blade and a moose bone handle.

I also know a bunch of old Athabascan women that can perform surgery with the things.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I can't speak to the Ulu, but my experience with Knives of Alaska is not positive.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What was the problem Mike?

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I received a set of two for a gift. Whitetail hunter and a little caping knife, as I recall. First impression is fit and finish, which is poor (scales poorly fitted, complete with mold burs; two different scale types, though it was a set sharing a sheath, etc). The Whitetail knife sharpened up well for D2, though the gut hook was roughly shaped. The caping knife was a real disappointment as it will not get sharp, as though it just has a bad/no temper. I was hoping to make it into a little razor, but it is just worthless. The sheath looks great but the guthook on the Whitetail hangs up every time you try to draw it. I really wanted to like this set but I ended up not being able to say much good about it. I did like the way both knives were shaped and how they fit in my hand. I liked the hold of the Whitetail and the fact that it is very light weight. Overall, considering the price, I was very disappointed. And as it was a gift from the wife, I can't even sell it off. It just sits in my bag and disappoints me.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I would get ahold of them and tell them the problems you have mentioned and see what their customer service is like. I have found in the past that most outfits in Texas stand behind their products. Just a thought.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Bough some as gifts for my mom and daughters while in alaska. They were the kitchen set with the cutting board . Genuine made in Alaska not the Chinese knock off. I know my one daughter really likes it and uses it daily. Look for the little polar bear emblem on the package.. All stuff that is made in Alaska has it..
I bought mine from the great alaskan bowl company in Fairbanks. I think they ship out.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hey Mike, just for the heck of it I contacted koa customer service and told them of your problem. They said to please contact them and they will do what ever they have to to make it right.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.