-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tomk......Great post earlier this morning. Anybody looking at it with some good reasoning knows what to expect with an AI'd cartridge.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks 257.

Hope its warm there--snowing here, nasty.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I think the dislike stems from some 280 AI guys claiming how incredible their round is. Keeping up with the 7 mag, superior to the 270 or 30-06. Things like that. So it's a case of backlash, in a way. The reality is the 280 AI is just fine, but isn't anything special compared to a bunch of other rounds.

Savage 99's case is different, as he is an idiot.

Don drives that point home aggressively with every key stroke.

I have to agree that when folks start making silly claims about the Ackley that just gets fair minded people to raise the BS flag. For me, it's really about a lot of very small advantages that add up to make the 280 Ackley what it is.

- much less case trimming
- a small increase in velocity
- can build a lighter rifle than the magnum rounds
- extra round in the mag box
- lots of sleek bullets in 284
- lighter recoil and muzzle blast than the mag rounds it gets compared to
- shoots flatter than the 06
- if you compare it to a 270 w/150 gr bullets, the Ackley gets a solid 100 fps gain
- and last but not least.......it just looks cool ! ! !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Headstamp to headstamp doesn't mean schit. Look at 120TTSX in a 280ai and 110TTSX in a 270.

Boolits matter (I stole that line, FYI)

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
how much gain would a .280 AI in a 22" barrel? my brother has been thinking of reaming his out to 280AI but his barrel is only 22 inches. He said if he can get 3000 to 3100 FPS with 140 loads out of a 22" barrel then he is happy because he is a chicken when it comes to reloading and can only get 2850 140grain for his 22" 280 REM.

IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
also it is his backpack rifle and he isnt going to put anything longer than a 22 tube on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's doable.

7SAUM will do 3050 with a 140TTSX pretty easy in 22" tube. The case capacity is nearly identical, depending on brass.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by Oklahoma
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by RDFinn
What were your expectations of the Ackley ?

I had no expectations, but it showed me nothing (unless extra work to make it feed is something) that a 280 Remington or 7MM Rem Mag couldn't or hasn't provided.

Your saying you had problems making a 280AI feed properly....Hmmmmm.

I think you need to read what I said again.

Read it again and I still read that you was having a problem making a 280AI feed properly. Hmmmm I am surely missing something.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You should be able to get 3000+ fps out of a 22" barrel with 140 grainers no problem. I get 3120 with my favorite 140 grain load with a 23" barrel without pushing it. There is probably a little more there but I have been happy with that load.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've not AI'd any of the several 280's I've owned over the years.

There's no doubt of some performance gain, but aside from the possibility of less case trimming, I've just seen no need when the standard case is loaded to it's potential.

My current favorite below.

MM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Specs? Smith?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I've not AI'd any of the several 280's I've owned over the years.

There's no doubt of some performance gain, but aside from the possibility of less case trimming, I've just seen no need when the standard case is loaded to it's potential.

My current favorite below.

MM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

MM, what is your load and what velocity do you get loading it to full potential? I am curious because I load 280 for my family's 3 guns with 22" barrels and all of them can only push 140's at 2900 MAX with careful increments to 270 pressures. And when loaded to near max 270 pressures, accuracy decreases and I found it more accurate along the velocities of 2790-2850. Now if I can get a "mild and accraute" 280 AI to toss 3000-3100 out of a 22", I'd bite the bullet because that's 200 fps and not reaching near high pressures to do so. Will a deer know the difference at 300 yards (my max), no. But at least I can talk smack to .270 win guys that my 280AI 22" is more efficient.

Thanks to some of the guys here for advice, I will tell my brother to make his a 280 ackley.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had three "improved" 280's, two AI and one RCBS. I have also shot a 280 a lot. My 280 with a longer throat, OAL 3.45, is about 30-35 fps behind the "improved" cases at equal pressures. In a hunting rifle, I would use a 22-23" barrel.

The reason the improved cases are more difficult to get to feed as slickly as a standard is because of the reduced body taper. The shoulder angle has nothing to do with that other than most "improveds" have both.

Also the idea that a 280 AI is lighter than a 7 mag is just wrong thinking. Same stock, same barrel, same action...the magnum will be slightly lighter because the chamber removes a little more steel.

I would get the standard built but have the throat extended. Cases and dies are cheaper. Or just get a 270 or a 7RM.

Last edited by RinB; 11/01/14.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB
I have had three "improved" 280's, two AI and one RCBS. I have also shot a 280 a lot. My 280 with a longer throat, OAL 3.45, is about 30-35 fps behind the "improved" cases at equal pressures. In a hunting rifle, I would use a 22-23" barrel.

Very interesting approach.

I've heard here that long throating like this, fixes the 7mm Rem mag

How long do you trim your 280 cases? ie. do you let them grow longer than 2.540" with appropriate chamber adjustments for neck length?

The reason the improved cases are more difficult to get to feed as slickly as a standard is because of the reduced body taper. The shoulder angle has nothing to do with that other than most "improveds" have both.

another good reason to just extend the throat if you have the mag length.

Also the idea that a 280 AI is lighter than a 7 mag is just wrong thinking. Same stock, same barrel, same action...the magnum will be slightly lighter because the chamber removes a little more steel.

Kimber 84L changes that

I would get the standard built but have the throat extended. Cases and dies are cheaper. Or just get a 270 or a 7RM.

Very interesting thoughts, please elaborate on throat lengthening.

Cheers

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by plumashntr

Thanks to some of the guys here for advice, I will tell my brother to make his a 280 ackley.

Rechambering a factory barrel that isn�t getting the velocity one is looking for is throwing good money at bad. The barrel is likely still going to be slow, but now it will be slow with a few hundred extra dollars sunk into set back/rechambering and new dies. What I�m trying to not so eloquently say is that rechambering won�t fix the slow velocity issue if the barrel has loose bore dimensions.

Also, I�m not sure what being a �reloading chicken� is, but a 280 AI isn�t going to change things. If that means your brother backs down when pressure signs are encountered on the brass, he is a smart man, as pressure signs don�t often occur until over 70,000 psi.

Have him load some 120 ttsxs at 3150 fps in the factory barrel, and he�ll not want for a 280 AI any longer.

Originally Posted by 338Rules

Kimber 84L changes that

The problem there being the throat length to magazine length on the Kimber 280 AI. Long throat, not so long mag box.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pg : good to know - the LA rugers are like that too with no extra room in the mag box.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dooger
Specs? Smith?

Karl Feldkamp @ Kampfeld Custom did the bolt fluting & skeletonizing, the cerrokote & (stock) trigger work. I did the stocking & bedding, B&C MR stock.

It's an older, smooth bolt knob Rem 700 Mountain Rifle, factory 22" barrel that allows the bullet to be seated out a bit.

With the Leupold 2.5x8 & Talley LWT mounts, it weighs 6lb, 14oz.

MM, what is your load and what velocity do you get loading it to full potential?

59 gr of RL-19, 140 NBT or 140 Barnes TSX, 3020 FPS.

I will say that I've never been able to get 270 velocities with comparable bullets in any 280 I've owned & most are a little fussier in what they like than what I've found in most 270's; the rifle pictured is an exception......it's fairly fast & not very finicky.

Here are some pics of some load development testing groups with 140 & 120 NBT's & RL-19, Win 780 & IMR 7828 with the 140's * RL-15 with the 120's.

MM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Rechambering a factory barrel that isn�t getting the velocity one is looking for is throwing good money at bad. The barrel is likely still going to be slow, but now it will be slow with a few hundred extra dollars sunk into set back/rechambering and new dies. What I�m trying to not so eloquently say is that rechambering won�t fix the slow velocity issue if the barrel has loose bore dimensions.

Also, I�m not sure what being a �reloading chicken� is, but a 280 AI isn�t going to change things. If that means your brother backs down when pressure signs are encountered on the brass, he is a smart man, as pressure signs don�t often occur until over 70,000 psi.

Have him load some 120 ttsxs at 3150 fps in the factory barrel, and he�ll not want for a 280 AI any longer.

Originally Posted by 338Rules

Kimber 84L changes that

The problem there being the throat length to magazine length on the Kimber 280 AI. Long throat, not so long mag box.

Prairie goat, my brother has a krieger chomoly #2 finished at 22" ready to be reamed, he was debating on either 280 or improved. what's to hurt by going improve, still be able to shoot the old 280 and look cool. It's his gun, so he can build it whatever he likes. As for me, doesn't matter if I am shooting a 7 mag, 308 or 270, I limit all my shots to 300 yards so deer won't know the difference and so do I.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Read it again and I still read that you was having a problem making a 280AI feed properly. Hmmmm I am surely missing something. [/quote]

Feed work is common on some custom builds.

Now if the work was performed and the cartridge didn't feed that would classify as a problem getting it to feed. No one ever said that it is a problem to get a 280AI to feed. It was stated that it may require a little work.

Work to complete the build
Problem getting it to feed

2 entirely different thing

Shod

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 11/01/14.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Shodd
I think you need to read what I said again.

Read it again and I still read that you was having a problem making a 280AI feed properly. Hmmmm I am surely missing something. [/quote]

Feed work is common on some custom builds.

Now if the work was performed and the cartridge didn't feed that would classify as a problem getting it to feed.

Shod

[/quote]

Huh....Not sure I follow what your saying...Well sure if it won't feed then it is a feeding problem.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 3,253 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.