Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I've been thinking this would be a fun trip for my son and I, he has never been west either. Any suggestions on good areas, and equip. needed, best time to go.......
Thanks
Will

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You should have a couple of rifles each, GOOD bino's, bipods, shooting bench, camp chairs, rangefinder, shade maker, water, oh yea, a few hundred bullets or so. May is a great time, with pups running around.
Booking a hunt thru an outfitter might be one issue that would make it easier, but there are plenty of dog towns on public land.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks wyo, we've got the rifles covered, 22-250, 223, 22mag, 17hmr 17m2, and probably a couple contender pistols too. We are good on ammo, binos, spotting scope and Ive got an ez up for shade. I need to buy or build a couple benches that will break down, been looking at the Stukey design.
I guess I need to figure out which state to head to and if we want to pay a landowner or try public land.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of the public land gets hammered. Maybe go to a public land area so you at least have something to shoot then talk to some locals and see if you can get private permissions.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rosebud, SD

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Rosebud, SD

The last I knew handguns were banned on the ridge and the bud. I know you can't use them to hunt pdogs. Plus you have to hire a guide.

http://www.rstgfp.net/?id=24&page=Hunting

LARGE CALIBER HANDGUNS - It shall be unlawful to hunt any species of wildlife on the Rosebud Sioux Reservation with a handgun, except that big game may be hunted with handguns of .41 and .44 caliber using factory loaded ammunition with expanding bullets and with at least a 4 inch barrel. All other calibers of handguns shall be illegal for hunting of big game.

Swifty
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Plan your trip for mid-may or later so that the young ones are up. This not only gives more shooting but it also leaves some for next year rather than killing the females before they have pupped out.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Rosebud, SD

The last I knew handguns were banned on the ridge and the bud. I know you can't use them to hunt pdogs. Plus you have to hire a guide.

http://www.rstgfp.net/?id=24&page=Hunting

LARGE CALIBER HANDGUNS - It shall be unlawful to hunt any species of wildlife on the Rosebud Sioux Reservation with a handgun, except that big game may be hunted with handguns of .41 and .44 caliber using factory loaded ammunition with expanding bullets and with at least a 4 inch barrel. All other calibers of handguns shall be illegal for hunting of big game.

I think the Rosebud has gone "lead-free", also. One of the reasons I haven't been back in many years....

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd go to Wy' no need for a license plenty of dogs mid May through June.

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.

I think I've forgotten this before.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (30Gibbs, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 32 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.